• Advertisement

Martial Arts

Discussions about Security and Defense
scrounger

Martial Arts

Postby scrounger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 am

Curious to see what people here train in/have trained in. Why they like it. What they get from it. What they don't like about it.
0 x

OttawaLoneWolf

Re: Martial Arts

Postby OttawaLoneWolf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 am

This is what I did in my life and my view on pros and cons

6 years of Judo: great foundation/ excellent in close range but only good at single aspect
5 years of WTF Tae Kwon Do: great condition/ excellent in long range but not practical on the street
7 years of Krav Maga : most practical fighting system but is hard to find a good school
4 years of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/ no gi grappling: super fun/ not easy to get hurt but is not practical on the street
3 years of Muay Tai: powerful and tough but slow on its feet
3 years of Mixed Martial Art: super fun / tough / most complete sadly make you want to compete
4 months boxing: great foundation/ condition but only good at single aspect
6 months of 16 century Italian rapier: super fun / scientific but I can't carry a rapier around

feel free to ask my secrete to know so many fighting forms. :oops:
0 x

Gerardo

Postby Gerardo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm

OttawaLoneWolf wrote:feel free to ask my secrete to know so many fighting forms. :oops:

So... what is your secret?
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:38 pm

But I can carry my rapier like wit around. :)
0 x

OttawaLoneWolf

Postby OttawaLoneWolf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am

Gerardo wrote:
OttawaLoneWolf wrote:feel free to ask my secrete to know so many fighting forms. :oops:

So... what is your secret?

did not kiss a girl until I was 21 !! :D

all those energy got to go somewhere
0 x

puceprepperz
Topic Leader

Postby puceprepperz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:56 am

My martial arts background began in 1979 and since then I have taught several arts, and fought in Thailand and canada usa etc. I am alsop a former Special Service Forces soldier. I have fought and held national titles in Muay Thai since 1999 and have trained in it since 1985. I have owned a school since 1999 where I taught Muay Thai, wreslting, boxing, karate and unarmed combat non sport related ( more military style - not meant for sport )
I have trained 1 national champ under me, and several regional champs. Im also a fire fighter for the last 18 years, and am a actaing Captain. We do medical and I have taught many types of medical courses, and taken many others for general knowledge.

That is my background, so you knwo where my opinions come from. Althoguh I have trained and even medalled in various arts such as Kick boxing (NA style), Judo, JuJitsu, TKD and kung fu. I find the only ones really useful for this sort of defense would be Muay Thai, Wrestling and JJ or BJJ. Or military unarmed combat, but thats differnent I suppose.
MT you can destroy an opponent with minimal rosk and energy, and once in a clinch even the best MMA fighters and wrestlers hate being there and have extremely hard times breaking the clinch. Great for dealing with multiple fighters
Wreslting Fast and effecting throws to create space, or gain top mount.
JJ/BJJ great for restraining, ending a grapple, but leaves you defensless vs multiple opponents and terrain can drastically affect your movement and survival rate.
All arts have merrit, and I encouage you to dabble in many as you learn their style, and way of thinking. Also not every art is right for everyone, and same can be said about the instructor. You need to find an art that meshes with you and you personality and then an instructor that you can learn from . We are not all the same in teaching styles and not all learn the same way.
0 x

amaryllis

Postby amaryllis » Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

12 years in ITF Taekwon do- 1st dan

Fun, good family activity, easy to learn, Great for all ages, Confidence builder, Self Defence techniques, Great for Cardio,
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Fri May 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Two years in Taekwondo many years ago when I was in my early 20s. Now taking karate at the age of 40 and loving it. Yellow belt at this point, but black belt is in my future. I could write a book on the benefits, but I just don't have time LOL. However, in general the benefits are the physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
0 x

Multifarious

Postby Multifarious » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 am

I've just started Krav Maga. So far I like it. I think it's a realistic self defence system. I like how there are no competitions. Personally, as a woman, I would prefer to learn how to break someone's face and get away than to learn how to do fancy kicks and holds... It empowers me and gives me a sense confidence in my ability to take care of myself. I recommend it to everyone. :)
0 x

RT_survive
Canada

Postby RT_survive » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:02 am

I don't have much formal training, and I don't have a black belt in anything.

Street fighting as a teenager helped teach me much, much more than any of my training. The martial arts are basically more efficient and methodical. My only formal training was 3 years of Taekwondo and 3 years of college wrestling. Other than street fights, I informally cross-trained with Judo, Aikido, Karate, and Muay Thai instructors for 2 years when I was in the air force.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”