• Advertisement

Ask a leader security & defense questions here

Discussions about Security and Defense
RT_survive
Canada

Re: Ask a leader security & defense questions here

Postby RT_survive » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm

I've been on the other side of the fence when it comes to security and defense. When I was an 8 year old boy growing up in a third world country, I had to flee my home with my father and 4 year old brother because there was a massive coup d'etat. There were rebel forces closing in on the military base, shooting in the streets, planes strafing from the air, and we were trapped in the middle. We would hide, then leave because grenades were exploding nearby, and have to double back because the fighting was moving in our direction again. I was mostly terrified of the stones and dirt that were being flung around, and disoriented from the mere shockwaves of explosions. The rebels were shooting anything that moved, but a group of us escaped through a series of joined homes. Others were not so lucky. I got to witness firsthand what it looks like to panic, run outside, be shot, and slowly fade away. After about 2-3 hours of uncertainty and terror, we made it to safety, and took shelter at an aunt's house about 35 km away.

Things I learned...

1. Community/connections are vital - without our network of family and friends, we would have had nowhere to go.
2. Don't shoot if you don't have to. Sometimes, avoidance/fleeing is the best policy - my father was a retired navy lieutenant, and he was armed with his 1911 and M14 when we were escaping, but if he had chosen to fight our way out, we would likely not be here today. Silence is golden. Not a shot was fired.
3. Fitness, fitness, fitness. The roads were not safe to drive on, and my younger brother was only 4 years old. We walked/hiked 35km through dense vegetation (southeast asian jungle) and followed the river until we reached my aunt's house. I was exhausted. At one point, my father was carrying BOTH me and my brother. I'll never forget that. We probably weighed a combined 100-120 lbs.

In the end, the rebels were beaten back, and in retrospect, that experience is why I later served in the air force for a few years. I'm Canadian now. :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just wanted to add my own experience.

I do have a question for the local (Canadian/American) experts though.

How do you make the decision to stay, or run?
0 x

Rabbi Arie Chark

Postby Rabbi Arie Chark » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:43 am

Thanks. I suppose the same might apply to 7th Day Adventists. Great ideas.
0 x

Rabbi Arie Chark

Postby Rabbi Arie Chark » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:46 am

scrounger wrote:Welcome to the forum Arie. I'm not sure this is what you have in mind specifically but perhaps the LDS/Mormon church has answers for you. I don't know if you can call them target hardened but definitely prep hardened.

S

Thanks. Good suggestions. 7th Day Advntists also might have some interesting perspectives.
0 x

OttawaLoneWolf

Postby OttawaLoneWolf » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:17 am

RT_survive wrote:I've been on the other side of the fence when it comes to security and defense. When I was an 8 year old boy growing up in a third world country, I had to flee my home with my father and 4 year old brother because there was a massive coup d'etat. There were rebel forces closing in on the military base, shooting in the streets, planes strafing from the air, and we were trapped in the middle. We would hide, then leave because grenades were exploding nearby, and have to double back because the fighting was moving in our direction again. I was mostly terrified of the stones and dirt that were being flung around, and disoriented from the mere shockwaves of explosions. The rebels were shooting anything that moved, but a group of us escaped through a series of joined homes. Others were not so lucky. I got to witness firsthand what it looks like to panic, run outside, be shot, and slowly fade away. After about 2-3 hours of uncertainty and terror, we made it to safety, and took shelter at an aunt's house about 35 km away.

Things I learned...

1. Community/connections are vital - without our network of family and friends, we would have had nowhere to go.
2. Don't shoot if you don't have to. Sometimes, avoidance/fleeing is the best policy - my father was a retired navy lieutenant, and he was armed with his 1911 and M14 when we were escaping, but if he had chosen to fight our way out, we would likely not be here today. Silence is golden. Not a shot was fired.
3. Fitness, fitness, fitness. The roads were not safe to drive on, and my younger brother was only 4 years old. We walked/hiked 35km through dense vegetation (southeast asian jungle) and followed the river until we reached my aunt's house. I was exhausted. At one point, my father was carrying BOTH me and my brother. I'll never forget that. We probably weighed a combined 100-120 lbs.

In the end, the rebels were beaten back, and in retrospect, that experience is why I later served in the air force for a few years. I'm Canadian now. :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just wanted to add my own experience.

I do have a question for the local (Canadian/American) experts though.

How do you make the decision to stay, or run?

good story bud. Sorry that you have to go though such tough time. I am immigrant as well and I have served with many immigrants within the CF and many of them with similar stories.
Prepping is such universal thing in the rest of the world. A friend of mine in Serbia told me that his village hides AK 47 underground ( private ownership is not allow in Serbia I believe ) I asked him why ?
he said in this region every 10 years there is a war, 40 years there is a big war.

My answer ( not an expert )

is I chose to stay- like you say community is everything. I have the privileged have a strong network of friends and students within my city and I know in bad situation
these people can be trusted.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:27 pm

https://www.diehardsurvivor.com/be-warn ... ripwire/2/

Other one i like is also a mouse trap with a chemsticks. At least you see location they trip at night.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”