• Advertisement

Self defense

Discussions about Security and Defense
Girlcancan

Self defense

Postby Girlcancan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:40 pm

I know what I like (Muay thai) but for the kidlets, which self defense course would you put them in? Opinion? Thoughts? Really stuck between Karate and Muay Thai... Is it true that if you end up using Karate as self defense you could be charged with the use of a deadly weapon???
0 x

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Re: Self defense

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:19 pm

That is a fallacy. It would simply result in a charge of assault and the police and crown sorting it out from there. As for teaching the kids a martial art, I'm more interested in who teaches it. Not what they teach. I have trained in Muay Thai Pahayut camp under Mike Miles. During training he taught us the classic warfare stuff as well as ring fighting skills.

I have also been trained by Pat McCarthy and Avi Nardia. Everything from stand off fighting to biometric strike and lock techniques to lethal disarmament/weapons retention techniques have been covered by these instructors. I was also taught knife fighting by Johannes Lichtenaur and early development SOCP.

So the moral is always the person, not the tools. :)

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:47 pm

In Canada...you use reasonable force for the situation. From my understanding in grey areas, the Crown/Police give credence to the victim. So if someone says "give me your wallet" and you turn around and severely maim them and they presented no danger... your in trouble. If someone with a knife says "give me your wallet" and you are in immediate danger and you maim them...even in a grey area the police will likely believe you over the criminal. If they are no longer a threat and you continue to attack them and maim them...you are in trouble. Its when people get stupid and become there own judge, jury and executioner that they land them selves in trouble. I've seen to many guys full of testosterone, short on brain cells and trained in MMA, Karate, etc. looking for trouble and then upset when they land themselves in jail saying "i was just protecting myself." I ponder sometimes if they actually know they are looking for trouble or if they really think it just finds them.... This has worked for me....most self defense seminars will touch on the legalities and as long as your reasonable your ok. the stories you hear about in the news are a rarity, and usually are more complicated then we realize when the facts are laid out.

As for kids programs...I'm a big proponent of KM-x. Its the krav maga series geared towards kids at KMWW. But...that being said, kids are kids. Find out what they like. What they want to do. Perhaps your kids want to try karate, or TKD, or something else? At that age, its more about getting them interested in something. Not necessarily about the system. Because of there age, they won't be able to fully appreciate the system anyways. But if they take an interest in something, they get the physical benefit, the structure and discipline that most martial arts/fighting systems offer and exposure to it so its something that they can pursue if they want when they are older and can appreciate it.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Girlcancan

Postby Girlcancan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:05 pm

My kids had the opportunity to try a few different ones. They both liked Karate. Said it was "awesome" lol
What the both of you said makes perfect sense.... and common sense. funny what people assume/believe.
0 x

OttawaLoneWolf

Postby OttawaLoneWolf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 pm

If there is a "good" Krav Maga school go with it ! :D

It is a good system that can serve as the bulwark of your safety
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:53 am

I came across this guy slipping punches and I clicked on it because I had a friend often would do this same thing in his daily routine when we had visitors. The flaw with doing it with regular sparring friends(and no fighting back)is that we figure his moves out and therefore land alot more shots. The guy is this video is good and even though he claims he continually did the same moves, he had a nice variety of combinations to make seeing a pattern very hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Good video, yes?
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 am

Knuckle wrote:I came across this guy slipping punches and I clicked on it because I had a friend often would do this same thing in his daily routine when we had visitors. The flaw with doing it with regular sparring friends(and no fighting back)is that we figure his moves out and therefore land alot more shots. The guy is this video is good and even though he claims he continually did the same moves, he had a nice variety of combinations to make seeing a pattern very hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Good video, yes?

It's the bobbing and slipping...but also great footwork and he's watching his distancing. He's either staying just out of range where a hit wouldn't be strong, and he can bob and weave, or he gets in close when they are winding up so again, punch is impossible or weak. Good technique. But against people who don't know how to fight and don't move in on him he can showboat like that. He knows against an actual fighter, or crazed person on full offense it would not be as pretty. Great footwork, great distancing, aand defense though.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Even though I am now in my mid 50's, I still can't watch any boxing or kick boxing without placing myself on the side of the one less skilled. I do this so as to see if I can see an advantage that could shift the balance of the fight ( like I could yell it to him or something :lol: ). Just me nature I guess.... :roll: I do think that if I was boxing this guy back in my youth, I too would be tired of swinging as some of those who answered his test had some skills for sure. What was lacking (to properly judge them) was their defensive posture due to the rule that he would only defend. I'm sure I would see ways around his defenses eventually, but I have to admire this guys skills and the ease with which he reacts to such a variety of punches.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”