• Advertisement

Protecting family from home invaders

Discussions about Security and Defense
Fenwolf
Canada

Protecting family from home invaders

Postby Fenwolf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:26 pm

At around 4am this morning we had 5 police cars respond to an alarm at one of our friends homes. The alarm was sent 32 mins before the police arrived. A lot of things could have happened to the family in that time. The 3 men that entered the home were armed and tied up the family. They made threats against the kids to control the parents. We spent the better part of the day with our friends helping to get things straight. They will be staying with us while the police do their investigation. All the kids are now scared and we are doing our best to reassure them that they are safe. This has made me look at they way the police handle crimes and how safe we really are. I think it is time that Canadians start taking back some of our rights and start to really protect our families. Because it is becoming obvious that we can not count on the government or the police to do their jobs and protects us. I will be looking at what security we have in place and what I can do to make it better and safer. Also the parents have decided to look at maybe coming together and getting a bigger place so the 2 families can help each other out.

Any suggestions on ways to make our security better would be of help, as now we are not too sure if a security system is enough. I mean 32 mins to respond to an alarm call is a bit freaking nuts.
0 x

scrounger

Re: Protecting family from home invaders

Postby scrounger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:13 am

Sorry to hear about your friends Fenwolf. Not to far away from you it turned out a bit different.

This story continues to evolve and it will take some time for the full truth to come out. Were the charges laid justified? Wait and see I guess. At least we are permanently down one home invader. :D As Martha Stewart says That's a good thing.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story ... -shooting/
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 am

Sorry to hear about the incident Fenwolf. Hope your friends can resume their normal life sooner than later.

The likely only solution available to us, pacifists-gun-averse-Canadians, is to have a big loud dog barking at intruders (whether a real one or some of those electronic box ones with prominently-placed "BEWARE OF DOG" signs). Even mean looking though guys hate the thought of a Rottie chewing their legs off. A few security lights covering 360 around the house wouldn't hurt as well and they are quite affordable.

Sadly, this situation is a catch 22. If you take thing into your own hands and defend yourself (guns, baseball bats or mean dogs), the police gets very upset for getting in the way of doing "their job" and a long list of charges may result : assault, improper weapon storage, etc etc. Yet, if you live outside of a big city, police response is offered measure in tens of minutes so calling 911 and waiting for assistance while your family is getting hurt, rapped, robbed seems ridiculous; except for politicians. Finally, the sticker "House protected by GLOCK" by my front door is more likely to put me under the police's radar than to deter bad guys :(

At the end of the day, remember that when seconds count, police officers are just minutes away!
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 am

Home security is a big area, and to some large degree varies for home and yard type and size, rent or own, and family composition.
OpSec is a biggie - it contributes to avoiding being a target.
Alarms are a biggie - they give early warning.
Blocking is a biggie - it buys time.

There was recently a post about nets where some alternatives for doors were mentioned. The downside is that anything you do to block doors or windows at night can make it harder for EMS fire and medical to get to you, too. The 4x4 can easily be a nightly thing, and they make commercial bars that can be added (google "door bar").

You can get fairly inexpensive magnetic bar alarms for doors from SPG and the dollar store. I wouldn't trust them in inclement weather, but indoors they're fine. The same can be rigged at an angle with those suction cup thingys to windows so that if a pane is busted out or the window opened, you hear it.
You can also add a windchime to blinds that hang a little lower than the door, and use a light pushpin to help hold the blinds to the wall. If you don't have a cat or strong winds, the chimes are only going to go off if somebody pushes the blinds away from the wall or pulls them up.
You can also look into regular window bars. They make some that are fairly decorative.

If everybody is in bed before one person and nobody goes tripping through the house, if there's an area leading to the bedrooms, you can grab a baby gate and another windchime or two, set it up in the doorway and hang the chimes. Ideally, it would not be visible from windows, which means closing blinds/curtains at night before it's set up so that if somebody does know about the other measures, this one stays secret. The chimes should be sensitive enough that they have to make noise if the gate is pulled down and numerous/large enough you can't reach through, hold 3-4 tubes still, and pull it down. When people stay at our house (friends and trusted not to mouth off), they're told the baby gate is to keep the dogs from getting to the cat box or trash, but that it's something I would rather not get out into general knowledge and that I expect to not see it on facebook or the image program of the week.

If you own, get rid of stuff big enough to hide behind around the doors and get the most uncomfortable, thorny stuff possible around windows.

You can also look at solar-powered motion-sensor garage lights. My father tinted his lenses and added oddball stuff to the panes so he knows not only what side of the house an intruder is, but also which direction they're coming from (one facing each corner, different light value or oddball cutout tells him left or right, or that it crossed both without having to think about how much light is there). Another set facing outward from his house gives you more information about direction of travel.

Dogs are an excellent deterrent, to some degree. Even a small but attentive dog akin to the purse terriers and dachshunds can tell you where they hear the sound without any training. My pits and Rottie were sweethearts, but people tend to think that even if a dog is friendly, it's going to go after somebody who hurts their owner or breaks in. A Lab or poodle is less likely to be as much of a deterrent, but a lot of criminals just don't want to bother with dogs if there is a softer target somewhere else. General breeds that don't have as negative a rep but that are outstanding for training, individual can-do, and guardian/companion work include Alsatian and German shepherds/malanois, Airedales, schip's (big dog in small body), akita, and bull mastiff, but you have to do research about the temperament that works best for you and honestly assess the mental command potential in your mate and helper, and the time and temperament of the household. A mixed breed can be awesome. My best dog was a 35# chow-keeshond mix with 37% of his genes too indistinct/common to trace to a specific breed at the time we had him tested. He went from vicious stray to fun-loving party and family dog, but always took special care of me and moms.

Most home invasions and burglaries are not random. There is a reason, personal or professional/profitable. There is the oddball drug/alcohol event that is random, but usually something spurs it, either a previous beef or theft. Get along with the neighbors, don't be seen with expensive merchandise, limit negative contacts, limit displaying wads of cash at local stores, delivery people, and anywhere they also have your phone or address on record, watch how often kids/adults flash portable, sellable electronics, and dispose of gun, ammo and TV boxes after dark and not in your recycling bin. Gray man plays a big part in some cases.

Where I live, if a robber breaks in, breaks my jaw, and then trips on something and hurts himself, he can sue me. If somebody breaks in and my cat attacks, she can be euthanized, I can be sued in civil court, and I can face criminal charges. It's not just Canada, which is kind of scary to me in a big way. A couple of my beloved tools say we'd rather go to the big house or be melted into paper clips than have not enough warning to get into action or stand idly by while family or neighbors suffer, even knowing the People's Republic of Maryland is going to wreck our lives.
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 am

What area of what city do you live in? I'm curious.
0 x

lgsbrooks
Canada

Postby lgsbrooks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 am

I posted what we have on the other post of this..very sad that our world has become a place where the criminals are not hung and the victims are charged
0 x

watchman

Postby watchman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 am

Hello like minded,

Dog protection is valuable but theyre like us and need to be trained properly, harden your outside perimeter within your laws, use motion lights, cameras, warning devices, high blank fences, employ a local security co, (tryin cut a good deal for what you require) this may help to keep things within requirements of the law,

My home town IN NZ has just brought in a by law re dogs ,that you have to fully fence . properties bar one accessable accessway to a front door, which would have intruders come thru a front channel, or send them around the back n over the fence with the dogs :D ,

Harden your home, train your family with simulation drills, have 2 secured rooms that provide security for each other, at nite bring the dogs in so you take away the worry factor about them and they'll be able to help protect the family re proximity, let outside alarms do their work,

just a couple thoughts hope it helps

watchman in New Zealand
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 pm

I've yet to hear of an emergency response thats quicker than 30 minutes to an automated alarm system. Actually that is much quicker than expected. Usually its 45-60minutes as monitored systems are not a real person and prioritized as such. Police response to a 911 call is within minutes especially to intrusion where life is at stake.

I think the issue is more with the way police respond to security alarms. Perhaps something to take up with your monitoring system and/or your local police service to see why, and if that can change.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm attaching a link to a security mesh product that I use when renovating banks. It is secured to the wall and ceiling studs before drywall and prevents intruders from coming through drywall partitions. http://www.amico-securityproducts.com/mesh.htm

Obviously, one would have to have a more robust door system and there are a number of products which keep windows from shattering. At the end of the day, these efforts are giving the owner time to call for aid and prepare for the intrusion; nothing more.
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Antsy, its a great product. We've used chicken or page wire in lieu for residential applications where its more cost effective.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “Security and Defense”