lindseynicole010

Re: Protecting family from home invaders

Postby lindseynicole010 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:32 am

thanks for this
1 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Without adding too much to the above posts.

Security bars are a good thing to have. They come in many sizes and shapes.

These ones allow a cheap and effective, but ugly, setup.

Add a 2x4 a few inches longer than your door frame, and with two of these you can go medieval and block someone trying to kick in the door!

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Zinc-G ... e/50069795
1 x
One is none, two is one.

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:20 pm

I paid 100$ extra to get exterior doors which open out. Easier to secure and you can forget kicking them in.
1 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Nagol, do you have a product name of the type of door? A photo or something? I would like to know more about this and maybe see if I can do the same thing. Most residential doors a good boot to the door (near the lock or not) will open them....such a shame.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Its a pretty standard door, steel though.
Rather than being recessed as most doors are this one is flush with the outer framing.
I installed it with 4" screws and foam... makes for one hell of a bond.
Between the frame of the door and the house is a steel plate for the deadbolt. You can't see it. Hinges are sealed units, so no pin to pull.

The reality is it was done for the wife, anyowe who really wants access will get in. But then they have to deal with the dogs. And me. And the gun safe in the bedroom and the loaded mag on a shelf in the safe(leagal in a SAFE no a cabinet).
1 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sun May 07, 2017 8:50 pm

I believe the hinges on those are protected from the hinge pin being removed from the door as well. I have outward opening doors on my porch. Nothing shy of an angle grinder is getting past the hinges.

Which gives me plenty of notice of unauthorized entry....
1 x
One is none, two is one.

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

I can't comment on the response time of the PD. When I was a police officer doing routine patrol and responding to alarms sometimes the department wasn't notified by the alarm company for some time. Some such companies are centralized in a different city and often have to figure-out what department to call. I don't think that the PD took there time getting there once notified, but they could have been short handed. Rural policing has large patrol areas. Often it can take 15 or 20 minutes to drive to a call.

I worked on a tactical team at one point in my career. If there were armed intruders, the officer at the scene might call TRU/ERT/SWAT. This lengthens the response time, as the duty of the first officers at the scene are to protect the scene. Cordon off the area to prevent entry or escape and not to enter themselves. They wait for a negotiator and if the word is given, the tactical team goes in. I don't know the situation in this case, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge.

Prevention from entry is always the best bet. Most force entry is made through a door. Ensure that your doors are steel with deadbolt locks and secondary anchors. The other precautions (as to priority) largely depend on where your residence is located. If you are on a farm, it may not be a deterrent to light the area, as there may be no one to see that area. Generally speaking all areas of entry should be lit or have sensors that will trigger light to shine on that area.

Secondary areas such as windows could be barred. This is preferable to more sturdy window locks, as the window can always be broken. There are stylish ways of installing bars. Signs indicating video surveillance are a two edge sword, as they attract the interest of the criminal element. One would think this would be a deterrent and in most (but not every) case it is.

Dogs are a good choice, as they sound the alarm. If the dog's worth his weight, the guy should hear the dog before he can read a sign about it. If the dog is big and bites, so much the better (then you need the signs to protect you from liability), if not just benefit from the alarm they give. Lights coming on is usually enough to deter an intruder.

Home intrusion happens. Fortunately the greatest number of these occur when no one is home. Hostage situations are extremely rare in Canada, Especially when compared to Break and Enters (B&E).

Audible alarms are another method of efficient protection. If your precautions are bypassed, the intruder will realize that the police are on their way. Even if he knew the response time was 60 minutes, he wouldn't want to be seen by witnesses and would leave in most cases.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Speaking of dogs for security, I knew a man who had a small security service who used dogs. He would drop them off at various locations and pick them up in the morning. He got a contract for one of the indoor malls in the north end of Toronto. I was working a midnight shift and was dispatched to a B&E in progress at this location. The odd thing about it was that the person reporting the crime was the Perp. He had gained entry and entered the Mall and was surprised by two dogs. They seemed friendly and allowed him to walk around and take whatever he wanted. Everything was great until he tried to leave; then the teeth were shown. It turned-out that the dogs were trained to keep people in, not out. I arrested the Perp with the stolen merchandise. Fortunately, the security handler arrived and both the Perp and I were allowed to leave. Very cool. :-)
1 x

Return to “Security and Defense”