• Advertisement

How good is your lock?

Discussions about Security and Defense
scrounger

How good is your lock?

Postby scrounger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 pm

or how good does it need to be?

A couple of links to some interesting pages on door
locks/deadbolts and their potential weaknesses.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r271918 ... neffective.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/24/the- ... re-part-i/
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Re: How good is your lock?

Postby Goldie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Last edited by Goldie on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Locks to me are like any other important to you purchase. Do the research and find what works for you. Locks in particular have 2 areas to consider.
1st is what level of resistance to bad guys getting past it do you want. Do you need something to stop the crackhead. Or maybe something that would foil the NSA makes you sleep better.
Second is how much do you need to spend to get the resistance level that gives you a warm fuzzy. In this case it seems good research may pay off in reducing your cost while increasing your security.

As you already know, good locks are just one component of your overall home security. There are lots of things you can do to your house to harden it without making it look like a mg clubhouse. Spend some time looking at your house from a thief's point of view. Can I kick in that door quick? Maybe break out that window where there are no security lights.

S
0 x

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:26 pm

check this out guys 2$ key to open everything or almost , its called bumpkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM
0 x

Plain Jane

Postby Plain Jane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Great info endangeredspecies! Thank you!
0 x
Ya know.. 'cause girls need paracord too!

BallisticPrepper

Postby BallisticPrepper » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 am

I spent 3 years investigating break and enters and lock bumps were common. In my humble opinion, there are several greater concerns as well. That door frame you have... If you don't have a metal frame, you might as well have cardboard holding your door up. When the shtf, I hope you are not relying on a lock. If you want any suggestions on how to beef up security, pm me.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 am

Well you could post your information here for everyone to consider and learn from , on how to beef up security

I for one always like to seek new and useful information
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 pm

The OP has a good point. The lock on a door is very important. Its one part in a system for security (rightly so, the frame, door, glazing, and framing the door/frame is set into) that needs to be addressed. Purchasing the $20 dollar lockset vs. a better quality and stronger lockset could sacrifice security. Its all about the weakest part in the system. And the hardware on a door like the lockset can easily be overlooked. The strongst door on the market can be penetrated if the hardware is substandard.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 pm

0 x

CSG

Postby CSG » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I changed my locks when I locked myself out of my house. I looked on line on how to pick the locks and within 20 minutes of reading the article on my phone I had taken a few paperclips and was back in my house. upgrade your locks, pins, and reinforce your frame. I changed my whole door setup to a steel frame, steel door welded to some steel beams. I have also upgraded my windows as well.

can't be to cautious when it comes to preventing your family from getting broken into or invaded.

9 out of 10 times simple precautions will scare away opportunistic burglers, if it takes more then a minute they are gone.
0 x
CSG

Paracord is your friend

Return to “Security and Defense”