• Advertisement

2016 unplanned Security Test

Discussions about Security and Defense
DaScribbler
Canada

2016 unplanned Security Test

Postby DaScribbler » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:33 am

My 2016 started a little interesting and put my primary home defenses to the test.

On January 1st I was awoken at 6 a.m. by someone banging on my front door and puking their guts out all over my front step. It turns out I had an extremely drunk (and quite large) party goer who in his drunken state ended up at the wrong address. Clearly I was not opening the door and letting this individual into my home. After taking a minute to digest the situation I called the local RCMP and informed them of the situation and requested RCMP Members attend and remove this drunken individual. (Please note here that I live 16 blocks from our local detachment).

After ten minutes of hanging out on my doorstep and puking repeatedly this individual decided that he had waited long enough and was going to force his way into my home. He then proceeded to pound on the door, ring the bell, and attempt to kick the door in. So naturally I called the RCMP back to inform that I now had a Break and Entry in progress and needed RCMP Members ASAP. The dispatcher took the information, told me to call back if anything changed, and the call ended. I was stunned. I've never had a dispatcher hang up when a crime was in progress.

For the next 20 minutes this drunken fool proceeded to beat on my front door and do his best to force his way in. Finally at 6:30 a.m. he realized he wasn't getting in and staggered away. I now called the RCMP for a third time to update them and gave them a description of the individual and the direction he was headed.

The RCMP never did show up.

At 10:30 a.m. four and a half hours after my initial call the RCMP called me back (got my voicemail) and informed me that they were just getting to my call and that they were busy with higher priority calls. My second call to them was a Break and Entry in progress, but they had higher priority calls????? As of this post I still have not seen or spoke to an RCMP Officer. Its absolutely pathetic.

Fortunately, my defenses held and no one was hurt. But it has caused me to re-evaluate my defenses and as a result of a non-RCMP response, I think I will be seriously stepping up my home security over the next little while.

So even though I live 16 blocks from the local police station, I clearly cannot count on an RCMP response when needed. it's nice to know that when seconds count, RCMP are hours away.

Complaints are being filed with multiple government agencies over this. All ended well for me, no one was hurt, but the next person in this situation may not be so lucky.

On the bright side, 2016 security test was successful. Break and Entry thwarted. :)
1 x
DaScribbler

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: 2016 unplanned Security Test

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 am

That was a pathetic response (or complete lack thereof) from the RCMP. Even if they had "higher priority calls", they could have rolled a unit from a neighbouring community, even if that meant a 20-30 min response. Though still unacceptably long, this would have been better than no response at all.

I completely understand your desire to file complains and believe they are fully warranted.

Please keep us updated if you don't mind. I would personally be quite curious to find out what answers you'll get.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 am

Yikes :( Glad he wasn't able to get in.

Just curious whether you had anything special done to your door/home, when this happened, as far as home security, beyond deadbolt & steel door?..(feel free to leave out any identifying details).. if the guy was not drunk, do you think he would have been able to get in?..
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Glockman1

Postby Glockman1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 am

Good to hear your okay and that your security held up. I have always been a believer that it is a mistake to think that the police will protect you. They only show up after the crime, and in your case, not at all. You are your best protection and quite often, your only protection.

GM1
0 x
Chance favours the prepared mind

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:24 pm

HopeImReady wrote:Yikes :( Glad he wasn't able to get in.

Just curious whether you had anything special done to your door/home, when this happened, as far as home security, beyond deadbolt & steel door?..(feel free to leave out any identifying details).. if the guy was not drunk, do you think he would have been able to get in?..

I don't think my security is anything special. Dual locks on outside screen door (which opens outward to make kicking in difficult), then double locks on main door, one of which is a deadbolt. This backed up with a full security system, and the best security in the world, extremely nosy neighbors.

This guy was so drunk that I'm convinced he didn't even know where he was, so if he was sober I'm sure it wouldn't have happened. A sober person would have likely tried a window, in which case the security system would have went off and and things would have gotten interesting in a hurry.

I'm thinking about pricing out steel doors and frames, and putting L brackets on the inside of basement windows so 2x4's can be placed across them to prevent window entry in the event that things ever really hit the fan. It sounds silly considering this is a normally a safe neighborhood, but in light of a non-RCMP response I have to start considering more extreme security ideas.

Dogs are the way I want to go, but my work schedule just doesn't make it doable.

I think its funny actually. When I bought my house the previous owner never locked his doors and it took him 2 days to find the keys for the place because he never used them. When I moved in, my neighbors thought I was nuts when I started replacing windows, re-enforcing doors and putting dual locks on everything, they laughed at the idea of security system. I was the talk of the neighborhood. Now,only a few years later things around town have gotten worse and rather then laugh neighbors often stop by to ask where I got my doors and windows from and who they should get to install them.
1 x
DaScribbler

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Bit of an Update...

Complaints were filed with local MP, RCMP Oversight Committee and Staff Sergeant in charge of local Detachment.

Heard from local Staff Sergeant this morning and have a meeting set up, in my home, next week. The only reason we're meeting in my home is the Staff Sergeant wants to hear the Voice Mail I have of the RCMP telling me that they were busy with Higher Priority calls while I had a Break and Entry in Progress.

I Imagine I kind of have the local RCMP backed into a corner on this one, by sending copies of my complaint to both their oversight committee and our local MP. So it'll be interesting to see what kind of story he gives me.

As this is a rather rural area, and I am familiar with Small Town Politics I have to wonder what kind of fall out or repercussions, if any, I'll suffer as a result of this complaint. I'm sure it'll be interesting to say in the least.

I'll post any developments here :)
1 x
DaScribbler

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:28 am

I wouldn't fear backlash too much. The RCMP's reputation hasn't been stellar as of late and the situation of not getting assistance following a 911 call wouldn't pass the "Globe and Mail" test. You've demonstrated restraint and judicious decision making in attempting to solve the issue responsibly. If somehow this is turned against you, the media would love to hear the story.

The RCMP has too much to lose in not addressing it fairly.
0 x

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Had a Face to Face meeting with the RCMP's Local Operations NCO yesterday, he gave me a story about what happened the night/morning in question, defending the non-response. Then a song and dance about limited Resources. Although I understand the difficult position he is in, it doesn't change the facts of the case in question. In the end the meeting was a waste of time and we had to agree to disagree. The sit down was civil but it was clear we weren't going to agree.

The Civilian Oversight Committee has assigned an RCMP investigator of their own to look into the matter. They'll keep me updated.

My Local MP and I have been playing phone tag. He is quite dismayed by the situation as he has a house here in town himself. I Spoke with his Liason/Assistant (whatever) today as the MP was in the House of Commons Question Period when I called. I should hear from my MP again in the next couple days. Hopefully we actually get to talk this time in stead of just trading voice mails :)

It's been interesting...
1 x
DaScribbler

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you for dealing with this, you're doing this for pretty much every rural Canadians.
0 x

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 pm

I was thinking that the whole situations I have playing out here really doesn't fit into a Prepper kind of forum, but at the same time I guess it shows a real world example of why we need to prepare.

Alright, since my last post I have spoke to my Local MP and have advised him of all events. He is quite dismayed by the whole situation and asked for my permission to forward my complaint along with his own concerns (as he happens to own property here in town) to a few other MP's, the Public Safety Minister and a few Provincial heads. I'll be receiving copies of all correspondence that happens.

Had a second sit down with the local Detachments Operations NCO, he presented me with a pile of documents that he expected me to sign that simply outlined my complaint and the events that happened on the day in question. I flatly refused to sign anything and gave him my own written response to his attempt to sweep all this under the rug. He then left frustrated and later returned with a tape recorder for a third sit down meeting in which we once again went over all the details of the attempted break in and the RCMP's non-response. All recordings, documents, and details of this matter have now been handed to a third party for outside investigation.

I will no longer be dealing with the local detachment and their personnel, from this point on we will both be dealing directly with this outside investigator.

Had I signed the documents the RCMP gave me, then all investigation would have stopped and by signing I would have consented to closing the matter. Due to things happening at the Federal and Provincial Level I simply couldn't sign anything that might close the investigation. Unknown to the local RCMP, Federal and Provincial Ministers are just starting to get involved in this matter, so I have no choice but to stretch this out until all parties are fully involved.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't expect anything to come out of this. But if I can rattle enough cages maybe next time someone calls the RCMP for help, maybe, just maybe, the RCMP might actually show up.
1 x
DaScribbler

Return to “Security and Defense”