• Advertisement

Burglar Alarm System - What Do You Have?

Discussions about Security and Defense
peppercorn

Re: Burglar Alarm System - What Do You Have?

Postby peppercorn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Wait until December, as the day for peak gluttony, and peak economic consumption approaches rural mail boxes get hit, the meth heads (there are lots in rural areas) are looking for cards with cash in them, The fact your getting hit now is bad sign...you have stupid meth heads. Though maybe not stupid as it just occurred to me As of this year all of rural Alberta is supposed to have switched from PO box numbers, to RR and twnshp numbers, and as is in all county bylaws that I have seen you are required to have your number visible from the road...NOT good in a rural area....what this means is now if they break in and get your mail, they can Identify your location.....So if they read your visa statement, they know what you have bought, or maybe they see your bank statement and think your rich, makes selecting targets so much easier....or maybe if in your mail they notice only one person getting mail to that address....now they also know the location.....its rural....see where I am going with this.........they can stake out the property, when you leave they have a pretty good idea that no one else is home.......Are you a single lady living in the country...I would be worried...

Welcome to the country...where people drop off dogs,cats they don't want. Throw appliances into the ditch cause the dump charges, run grow ops, Trespass, cause they thought it was there 3 rd cousins place 20 years back but they thought he must still live here! Tresspass cause they seen the car you have parked in the field and figure you must want to sell it.

In case I hadn't mentioned it.....I like fences and gates....and dogs,.. don't forget dogs...
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 pm

As one of those ladies that is alone for many hours of the day and at times days or weeks (when my beloved hubby is working) I like fences, Dogs(a pack of them) and a few extra"s just in case..

Country living is great but there are things that had better be chained up, locked away and while you want to be friendly, its never a bad thing to have everyone (other then your good friends built up in time) to know that you are a driveway talker.

I personally can always tell a country bred and born.. you talk at the driveway.. town or new homestead or country, just asuume, you will show them around, let them in outbuildings, let them look in the garden or invite them in the house! SNORT.. NOT..

And I do not care how much I like my local gents or that I am friends with your wife's or children, you do not come in the house, unless hubby is home!

Old Fashioned rules maybe but I hold to them.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Syn

Postby Syn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 am

I have ADT monitoring, all the windows and doors alarmed on two floors, interior motion sensors , exterior motion sensors that alarm and some exterior motion sensors that only turn on lights . In addition I have added more motion detecting lights and layers of fencing of zones and perimeter fenced with barbed wire and electric fencing for bears and have been adding cans so the bears make more noise to alert the dogs . All the neighbours out here have aggressive bear dogs . Also I have a motion sensor hidden along the beginning of the driveway that chimes and alerts us what is passing near our gate and I will be installing a metal sensing one additionally that will alert to a receiver and portable fobs so I stay aware of vehicles entering wherever I am , somewhat so I can leash the dogs that have gotten a bit aggressively protective. I actually will be adding a few more wireless sensors that were not hardwired in to the original system so I am looking to use those compatible to the one I installed on the driveway gate so it works off the same receiver and fob which I think can differentiate between zones with different audible signals .
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:47 am

Might have to further improve security of my property. Next acreage over (actually just across a tree line) was burglarized yesterday. Truck and electronic stolen. I suppose not locking your doors doesn't help...

Maybe the alarm sign at the end of the driveway was enough of a deterrent for the low-life to just skip our place. Or again, maybe this was a targeted house for unknown reasons. Anyway. Nothing on my game cam to help investigators. I'm thinking about acquiring a couple more to place around the place. As a bonus, I seem to have regular deer visits, so I might be able to capture them on cam.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

I am busy at the moment but check your pm in a day or so and I will show you pictures of a couple types of security cameras I use and can recommend. Nothing is locked on my property, never has been, in fact the neighbours through out the years have been told the back door is open come in as needed, such as its -40 and kids have locked themselves out of the house....wander over and come in if I am not home. Rural areas are getting hit hard, no worries at my place but all around me Like a mile or two away,...breakins.
I think I mentioned to you before security begins at the perimeter...a gate and proper fencing..no one...no one... ever should be able to just drive into your yard freely unless you have let them do so, I think you have seen my gate, it says Puck off, but politely ....Just my thoughts on the subject.....Did I ever mention a dog? even if its just one that barks.
I don't think signs help, I may be wrong but I think signs are expected.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 am

Time to convince Mrs HP that we need a puppy? :)

So many projects ($$) around the property, trying to address current issues and future issues in order of priorities. I would eventually like to put a pleasant looking but useful fence along the front of our property, with an equally good locking but solid gate at the end of the driveway. But for the time being, I have to go with the cheap tricks to keep the place safe.
1 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Dogs work!
we went out last Friday and when we got home, I checked the security cams as usual. What do you know, but a rather sketch looking guy with a backpack came up to our door. I assume that the dogs barked as usual, and the guy can be seen leaving quickly...very quickly in fact.
1 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Denob wrote:Dogs work!
we went out last Friday and when we got home, I checked the security cams as usual. What do you know, but a rather sketch looking guy with a backpack came up to our door. I assume that the dogs barked as usual, and the guy can be seen leaving quickly...very quickly in fact.

Indeed. We used to have an old Labrador who despite being the happiest, wiggliest, and friendliest looking dog around managed to scare off folks due to his very deep voice. A woof coming from a wiggle is apparently terrifying!
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am

Too bad about the dog. My 1st line of defense is my dobergirl ;) My 2nd is having & being good friends with a retired nosy neighbor who sees EVERYTHING that happens, and isn't afraid to let me know, or to run down the street after them (happened at least once with someone stealing bikes). More applicable to a suburban area. The 3rd is that some people know I do target shooting and that I am pretty accurate. (Of course in theory can also make you a target for gun theft) Not sure if either of those help you... The last one is somewhat tongue in cheek, as they know I would not jeopardize my job by doing anything foolish, so that only helps me in a true SHTF/zombie apocalypse ;)

Another alternative to the bell, is those cheap magnetic door alarm, where you put one on the door/window and one on the frame, and once you open the door, it breaks the magnetic connection and you can set it to chime, or sound a really loud alarm. I had those, but then I forgot I installed them & gave myself (and others) a heart attack every time we opened a door lol. So I turned them off.

It sounds like the motion-activated game camera is a good option. My friend had his set up to email him photos when something moved. You could also set up additional fake/old cameras if they look real enough.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

DougM
Canada

Postby DougM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:46 am

helicopilot wrote:Might have to further improve security of my property. Next acreage over (actually just across a tree line) was burglarized yesterday. Truck and electronic stolen. I suppose not locking your doors doesn't help...

Maybe the alarm sign at the end of the driveway was enough of a deterrent for the low-life to just skip our place. Or again, maybe this was a targeted house for unknown reasons. Anyway. Nothing on my game cam to help investigators. I'm thinking about acquiring a couple more to place around the place. As a bonus, I seem to have regular deer visits, so I might be able to capture them on cam.

Badguys have Intel nets. Might have heard you are a hard target. No percentage in getting hurt or caught unless the take is high. Your neighbor probably knows the person that hit him.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”