• Advertisement

Mom wants firearms

Discussions about Security and Defense
HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Mom wants firearms

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 am

Just make sure there is a cheap baseball glove lying around, to go with the bat. I have a rubber mallet and humongous pipe wrench, for house stuff & plumbing repairs, myself. If anyone asks ;)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:14 am

althetrainer wrote:My husband and I live in a decent neighborhood in Calgary with our 15 year old boy. I am a prepper but they take no interest in emergency preparedness. I always want to be trained to handle firearms but my husband and son are strongly against the idea. They don't even want me to go for training let alone keeping any firearms at home. They maintained baseball bats are more effective when it came to fighting intruders (because guns are locked in safe) and that if we used a gun or anything in that nature very likely we would be charged.

I've read about good citizens got charged for protecting themselves in Canada so their concern might have some merits. But I am a woman with inferior strength compared to men. Wouldn't that make sense to have something to protect myself while I am at home alone? We can't have a dog because our son has allergy.

I believe that a workable solution has to do with short-term and long-term goals. In the short-term, I would suggest that you obtain some bear spray. it will quickly stop an intruder at which point s/he will want to get out. It can be used on multiple targets.The spray requires no permits, is portable and is non-lethal by design (using it doesn't constitute using deadly force). It is the preferred method in the home as it doesn't damage your property. A 12 Ga. shotgun wont be as forgiving. :-)

For a more long-term solution, you could take self-defence classes. I have taught these and feel that they are positive in that they boost female confidence in what is possible. This is however a double edged sword, as what they are actually capable of falls far short of what they may believe.

Martial arts training is positive, but requires years of training, fitness and dedication. Many people don't wish to put in the requisite time and effort. Perhaps a Ju-Jitsu class or two would suit your needs. This style has less to do with punching and kicking as it does with limb manipulation. It can be done in a closed in spaces and does not require power to apply it and at the same time negates the strength of the attacker.

Given your situation and concerns, I would not pursue firearms acquisition. I believe your best bet starts with "Black Belt in a can," bear spray....
0 x

althetrainer
Canada

Postby althetrainer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am

Thank you everyone for your input. I have taken self defense classes but the techniques I've learned were more for escaping under less violent situations. If the intruders are armed then I am screwed. But I do like the idea of owning a crossbow (thanks Peppercorn). I used to teach our son how to shoot a long bow until someone told me that it was illegal to shoot bow and arrows even in our own backyard. I probably can handle a crossbow easily and it will give me a bit more confidence. I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Scrounger, we have one baseball bat but my hands are too small to have a firm grip. I have a couple of 9 irons near the entrance of the house and one in my bedroom. I prefer the 9 iron because the handle is already padded and it's lighter for me to swing.

I am not going to give up the firearms idea completely, not just yet. I'd love to be able to handle at least a handgun and a rifle. If I can own one that's great, if not, at least I know how to use it if I have to. It's something in my head since I was very young, sort of my bucket list.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 am

Alt, I just want to say, bear spray is good too, no one likes that stuff, but please be aware....used in your home....it will effect you as well as who you use it on. 2/3 third the effect on him but 1/3rd on you...this is from experience I am saying this.
Outside maybe different, depending on Circumstance .... but inside you will be feeling the effect of bear spray used indoors no ifs ands or buts.
If you go this route that's fine but practise with it...on yourself. Im not kidding, square in the face, take a blast! (don't plan anything else for the day, other than swearing)
The first time is the roughist, but believe it or not after that first time, it does get it easier, your more prepared for its effects, and not as prone to panic from its effects. I could take a blast ( as I have some experience) and while I likely wouldn't be able to return a punch, I could return reasonably accurate fire at room distances....
The crossbow has no such down side...
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:49 pm

althetrainer wrote:... I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Actually inside it works excellent for multiple attackers. Like Peppercorn mentioned, it may effect you as well. The key is extended arm reach, spray, close your eyes and move away. Regardless, you will be in a much better position than your attackers. The advantage is yours.

I've been exposed to CN, CS gas, as well as pepper spray. They all will stop you cold. As a police officer, I've used CN gas and pepper spray (several times). If you get a good dose of bear spray you will immediately seek water to wash it out. No one will wait around or pursue an assault. Even if they did, you would have the upper hand. Batter up... :-)
0 x

althetrainer
Canada

Postby althetrainer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Wayne wrote:
althetrainer wrote:... I also like the idea of bear spray. May not work very well if there's more than one intruder but that's better than nothing.

Actually inside it works excellent for multiple attackers. Like Peppercorn mentioned, it may effect you as well. The key is extended arm reach, spray, close your eyes and move away. Regardless, you will be in a much better position than your attackers. The advantage is yours.

I've been exposed to CN, CS gas, as well as pepper spray. They all will stop you cold. As a police officer, I've used CN gas and pepper spray (several times). If you get a good dose of bear spray you will immediately seek water to wash it out. No one will wait around or pursue an assault. Even if they did, you would have the upper hand. Batter up... :-)

Hmmm I have never tried spraying anything except wasps and my experience was not positive. I guess it will work as long as they're together and that I can spray them all at once. I started doing a bit reading on bear spray and pepper spray last night. it seems like using pepper spray on human even during self defense could result in being charged. Need to start looking for a good lawyer. :lol:
0 x

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 pm

althetrainer,

Swing by the Calgary Shooting Centre. They can line you up with a Firearms Safety Course so you can get your PAL (and RPAL if you wish). They just opened their own Shooting range there I believe, so you can practice and train there with the firearm of your choice.

However, as the media makes all too clear the use of a firearm in self defense has dire consequences in this country. So train to sport shoot, spend time killing paper targets and love the sport. Then just hope your new skills are never needed for anything other then paper.
0 x
DaScribbler

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 am

Try the t-ball bat. Meant for small children Lot smaller grip. Shorter as well. Thrift stores are full of them. Golf club may be too long to swing in confined space. Not a big fan of the crossbow in this situation. Love it for hunting though. Check again about the longbow shooting in backyard.. Your municipality should have the correct answer for you.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:50 am

Bug spray doesn't have the outward force of a pepper spray canister. The law allows you to use as much force as is necessary (but no more than is required) if you feel that your life (or the life of another) is threatened. In a house break-in situation, using pepper spray would not be considered 'using deadly force.' In any regard, I doubt you would be charged even though you used a butcher knife. The standard of care is what is reasonable under the circumstances.
0 x

althetrainer
Canada

Postby althetrainer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 pm

DaScribbler, I did look into the shooting centre and I am still considering the option.

Scrounger, I will check out the t-ball bats to see if they will fit my hands better. Thanks for the suggestion. I did check Calgary bylaw about shooting in our backyard but it was 7+ years ago.

Wayne, I definitely will get some bear spray when I go to Mec next time. According to Calgary police, items like bear spray and mace are considered prohibited weapons. I have very little faith in Canadian justice but I will use it if I have to. Better alive to face jail time then being dead. LOL
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”