• Advertisement

Use a cane to defend yourself

Discussions about Security and Defense
susannah755

Use a cane to defend yourself

Postby susannah755 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:55 am

Last edited by susannah755 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

HaliBoy

Re: Use a cane to defend yourself

Postby HaliBoy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:10 am

The link no longer works; however, don't get caught up in complex techniques that you already need to be a black belt to use. People who need to use canes are already slow and weak so they need simple impact techniques to discourage attackers and not subdue them on the ground.
0 x
Why did I join Canadian Preppers Network?
Well I was going to join the UK Network but those bloody Brits don't know how to speak proper English! ;-)

Mooswa
Canada

Postby Mooswa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 am

Personally I have always found that if you need something other than your hands...... and it does not involve bullets.......... you better know what the hell you are doing. Most of us are not going to be carrying a cane. A 12 gauge would go a lot further in leveling the playing field, buy I could be wrong. :twisted:
0 x
Let no good deed go unpunished.

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm

I use a can - have now for a few years. As HaliBoy pointed out "people with canes are targets". For myself - it allows me to walk in public armed. I have had batton training, I know the zones that are leathal strike zones and I also know the zones to disable. Believe me this thing could be very dangerous if on the recieving end. I see it as a big batton I walk with that is able to be used as defensive and offensive asset.
But there is a flip side - HaliBoy is right these days anyone showing a weakness is a potential target. A cane IS seen as a weakness.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 pm

On the other hand it's about the only option these days if you have to get on an airliner.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 pm

They even put my wooden tree branch through an x-ray scanner to make sure theres nothing to conceal pre 9/11 that never happened in Australian domestic flights.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

razerp

Postby razerp » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 am

Does my Canadian Crutch with the arm bracket removed, a nice strong nut and bot thru one of the height adjustment holes to make it tall enough for my big self count as a cane?

When i had someone enter my place uninvited earlier this year they stopped when they saw my 6ft4 sumo sized self.. but standing up with about 4ft of aluminium crutch in my hand made em back right out :D

Few weeks back i did think of about 6 ways i could kill the dog that killed my parents pet duck with the crutch,, and a few to touch up the dickhead owner ;)
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

prepare2prevail

Postby prepare2prevail » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Susannah;

I have trained for over 20 years with a cane-length "half-staff". It is, IMHO, one of the most user-friendly and versatile defensive weapons available, and definitely worth your consideration. For straight-up, no-frills self-defense, I strongly recommend that you give the Doyle Irish Stick-Fighting system a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcH0ww_Jbfg (* I'm the sweaty guy in the blue tee-shirt, at 1:26 - 1:34)

The Doyle stick-fighting system is the most straight-forward, aggressive and effective I've ever seen. I would - and DO - stake my life on it. I trained to the first instructor level in the Doyle system, but that credential has expired. I haven't trained with Mr. Doyle in quite some time, due to time and lifestyle constraints. He's a talented martial artist, gifted teacher, and extremely passionate about his family's fighting system. If you like what you see, you should give him a shout.

Cheers!

P2P
0 x
"The will to win compares little with the will to PREPARE to win." ~ Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant

Plain Jane

Postby Plain Jane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 pm

This is WICKED! That youtube video got me pumped! I'm a former police officer and my husband is still in law enforcement, he is at work right now but when he comes home I'm definitely going to show him and see if he feels like practising with the batons!
0 x
Ya know.. 'cause girls need paracord too!

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I have a mate who is looking at instructing Shillelagh soon. I'll see if he's getting set up or not if anybody is interested...

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

Return to “Security and Defense”