• Advertisement

Saving on Rent

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
cernunnos5

Re: Saving on Rent

Postby cernunnos5 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Now, this song is Far Far more appropriate to this post. The graphics are appropriate as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z6OEqc0uS0
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

One again it seems I was just alittle ahead of the curve. This came in today. https://www.vice.com/read/living-out-of ... ican-dream
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Very interesting reading guys!

Not to much comment on it, having lived for months at time in trailer when following my dad on the pipeline to camp jobs, I know that even a family can do so.. and for about five years I have a rule that if I could not pack it in the wagon, then I did not own it or it was got second hand and left or resold, I loved the freedom of being able to pack up and move in one car load..

but Its been a long while since I could do that.. the farm has certainly allowed me to expand the amount of stuff I have and in many ways its great and in some ways its not so great..

but I came here to be on point..

Thought you might find this news link interesting..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/j ... -1.3430867

based on the comment about folks in alberta having issues.. so far my own family members are holding well but time will see how that goes..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Yes. I was wanting to give a warning about this as well. Nomadic living has a time limit. It ends when your money runs out or your vehicle breaks down. It is a short term solution.
Self sufficiency requires a lot of stuff. You grow a lot of stuff and have to store a lot of stuff.

The article farmgal brought up is poignant. For those whose Plan A is to Bug Out...Alberta is the only province that you can walk away from your mortgage....wich may change at any time...or worse, retroactive law change to protect the banks. Everywhere else...they will come after you until they get every penny they are owed. Even bank failure wont protect you because they will sell your debt to someone else. If they cant find you...they will put out a warrant.

This is why we got out of our mortgage early. Perhaps a few years too early...but what can I say. Im just a bit ahead of the curve. Think this is bad? Just wait till the retiring Boomers start trying to sell their assets
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:50 am

farmgal wrote:Very interesting reading guys!

Thought you might find this news link interesting..

It was interesting, I remember the time the article speaks of well....I shed no tears for the banks...ever.
Reading through the comments at the end of the article was a link to a fellow named Hans Rosling. I had never heard of him, The following is just a random youtube vid of his I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjVHvC9EeB4 should anyone wish to find him, he has many on you tube.. While I don't agree with all he says especially when he extrapolates data out to 2100 he presents data in a well thought out way, with first rate graphics. So you inadvertently provided a secondary news link of interest.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

kravmaga79
Canada

Postby kravmaga79 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:14 am

i was just recently considering this myself
havent decided yet which path to take
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 am

Size matters. Living in Canada you have to have 3 sets of clothing. Summer. Fall. Winter. Spring. Now talking from experience over 1 yr off grid. Started with tent trailer. Then a 21 foot 5th wheel and now a 33ft 5th wheel but a newer style. But all depends on how many are in living space. Now van maybe okay from video for 2 people. But we have 2 people. Plus 2 dogs as big as 2 more people. Plus 2 cats that are about a person. So thats 5 people. Then gear for 2 humans lol for all 4 seasons. Now i have personally re did all my trailers from frame up. It was a learning experience. What to do better for next winter. Screw rest of the seasons. Its all for winter. If you need help on what size and what you should do pm me. Trust me you don't want to freeze your ass off and spend tons on heating. Hard enough dealing with sewage out of body and water to heat and shower. Remember 2 types of sewage. Bad stuff from body and grey water witch isn't that major as long as you take care on what you use for chemicals. Plus power stuff. But i learned a ton from peppercorn. He is the man on solar question. Then water issues. Special in winter. I personally believe in being mobile. But also you do need a bug out spot. To make life easier. But if it came down to leaving my location and start new i could as easy as pie. Everything fits in my trailer and can be packed in 4 hrs tops. By one person if not already in its spot in trailer. We have done it as test run for gf. She here almost 24/7 if she not I'm here. Always need some one in your bug out spot. To expensive of stuff to go to some thief.
0 x

Return to “Survive and Thrive”