• Advertisement

chickens

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
JGF

chickens

Postby JGF » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 am

I have been wondering for some time but what type of chicken are the best to buy for egg production?
and how much space would you need for your chickens?

so if you can help me that would be great!
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Re: chickens

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:29 am

Hi JGF! The most commonly available chicken in Ontario for layer hens are Red Sex Links (brown eggs) or Leghorns (white eggs) They both lay exceptionally well and are hardy! Are we talking backyard in an urban setting or do you have some extra space?? In town you will have to check bylaws but some cities/towns will allow you to have up to 6 hens - no roosters. Where I live you need to have 0 acres before you are legally allowed to have chickens.

Space for sleeping is typically said to be 2 square feet each - outdoor space should be at least 10 square feet but of course more is better. Just make sure whatever coop you make/buy/use is built like Fort Knox!

Your favorite new website on this site: www.backyardchickens.com

Ask more questions and there are lots of us who will do our best to answer!
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Syn

Postby Syn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 pm

I find having two breeds important in my own laying flock, I have a commercial Hyline brown type hen that lays reliably to winter and light sussex heritage breed that lay reliably through my winter and they moult and drop production in summer when the reds are laying well.
0 x

CABGUY

Postby CABGUY » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I LIVE IN A SMALL RURAL AGRICULTURAL TOWN OF 800 PEOPLE IN SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THEY WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO HAVE ANY CHICKENS ON MY PROPERTY EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN ACRE IN SIZE...BIG BROTHER IS EVERYWHERE
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am

Consider looking at raising rabbits if you were wanting them for white meat, a single doe and one buck plus one growout cage will meet your basic needs but if it was eggs you were after and you are willing to do the daily care that went with chickens, you can do a small indoor pen setup for a few female bob quail which start laying young and are good steady layers during there lives, which is much shorter then a chickens but it would work in a pinch..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 am

Don't discount heritage breeds either.

We have a americauna, a Wyandotte, and a Orpington, as well as some hybrids. Much prefer the heritage product for hen fruit.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Return to “Survive and Thrive”