• Advertisement

Ask a leader wilderness & urban survival questions here

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Ask a leader wilderness & urban survival questions here

Postby Denob » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Feel free to ask wilderness & urban survival related questions here.
One of our volunteer topic leaders will be happy to answer you.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Re: Ask a leader wilderness & urban survival questions here

Postby The Canadian Giant » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Denob has given me the opportunity to function as a sounding post on this particular topic. Something that I am particularly excited to be a part of here on the forum. Through the past 15+ years of working as a wilderness living skills instructor I've discovered that learnings come from all experiences, whether through questions that I don't know the answer, from people sharing small pieces of information that contribute to my understanding, to the simple experience of conversation; the opportunity to build knowledge together.

The arena of survival skills has many gurus and, often, self-proclaimed masters. My hope is that through our collective comments and questions we will keep in mind that there are rarely perfect answers to questions of survival, rather there are gradations of "it all depends." With this in mind, we will see people disagree on philosophies, responses and techniques, so let us use the expanse of viewpoints to explore ideas from multiple perspectives and create an open discussion where we each share and learn.

Looking forward to learning with each person that participates.
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

RATTS
Canada

Postby RATTS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 pm

What do you eat and have you eaten for survival???
I'm just a little curious as to what some of you have had to eat or eaten to survive if you have ever tried? It can be a pretty rough experience if your not prepared to eat what is around you at any given time. :D
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:18 am

RATTS wrote:What do you eat and have you eaten for survival???
I'm just a little curious as to what some of you have had to eat or eaten to survive if you have ever tried? It can be a pretty rough experience if your not prepared to eat what is around you at any given time. :D

I have eaten your cooking once or twice and I survived...
0 x

JackDee

Postby JackDee » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:04 am

Bite the tip of the collar from your shirt (not t-shirt) for hunger emergency.

Sounds stupid but it will do the trick to make the mouth busy :D
0 x
Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

RATTS
Canada

Postby RATTS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:23 pm

:?: So no one has had to eat grubs. ants or snake and eel stew?? How about gopher porridge or rattle snake chilli? Pigeon breast glazed over an open fire? Ok Pheasant or grouse even?? Come on squirrel and robin fajita's? Well maybe trout or salmon fillets on an open fire maybe walleye or pike, even your neighbours coy? (carp)
:roll: Maybe as you can see above the food list is all game small and easy to get if you do some prep work. One not mentioned above (RABBIT) is very good to eat and has been the main staple diet of man for many, many centuries. Not of course to be forgotten but I'm not an expert at all but their are many plants as well to supplement your travelling diet. Notice "Travelling Diet".
:? As a prepper you have of course got what you need for at least three to six months if not self sustaining for years, but if you need to move about and travel to your nearest prepper to get your son or daughter married in the future you can assure yourself of some food along the way. Just my opinion but everyone should be able to hunt up small game or snare rabbits and other small game and practice is what you need to do.
:oops: I have been lazy this winter and when I had some noisy magpies building a nest in some of my evergreen trees I took out my trusty sling shot and was going to solve the problem. That was some eyes wide open stuff...I was unable to hit the little buggers but I did harass them immensely. Like any sport if you put it down you need to pick it up again and practice and that's what I did. Urban hunting is fun and often never even noticed by the other urban dwellers. So add another skill to your set by trying to get your own outdoor picnic.
PS... the slingbow experiment is on going but really not enough power to hunt small game at any distance without expensive carbon very light weight arrows.
RATTS
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:36 am

Rabbits are good, enough meat to make skinning worth while (unlike squirrel), and if you don't like hunting them, easy to raise..infact I know someone in Edmonton raising them for food in their backyard. They fenced the backyard 6.5 feet high solid wood so its very private, and have cages and runs for them, Unlike chickens no one will know they are there.

0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Return to “Survive and Thrive”