• Advertisement

Bug-Out Bike

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Singlecell

Bug-Out Bike

Postby Singlecell » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:45 am

Eh, so a few months ago I think I was planning on putting together a bugout bike. Here's what it would look like...

PHOTOS AT THE BOTTOM

Handlebar Bag-
-solar power and battery system
-water filtration system
-navigation(compass, maps)
-flashlights
-6 replacement bike tubes

Frame Bag
-tire levers
-pump
-wrench
-multi tool
-bike multi tool
-allen keys
-pliers
-chain remover
-lube
-sharpening stone
-extra chain length
-extra cables

Gas Tank Bag
-wallet
-EDC keys(flashlight, pocket knife, seat belt cutter, sharpener)
-Cell phone

Rear Rack
-tent(and footprint)
-sleeping bag

Assault Backpack
-survival knife(full tang)
-camping knife(full tang)
-food
-1 litre of water
-dentil system
-soap
-rain gear
-extra change of clothes
-flashlights
-fire starters
-lighters
-utensils

Bike
-old school steel frame
-36 spoke aluminum wheels
-bald mountain bike tires
-treaded mountain bike tires
-USB powered high beam front and rear lights(compatible with the solar charger)

Possible carry(I have not included)
-extendable baton
-dog spray
-compact fishing kit and tackle
-bear spray

Pro's
-bypass all gas stations
-bypass all traffic jams
-take the road less traveled
-quiet
-much faster and more realistic than walking

Cons
-slower than a vehicle
-no cover
-slow to take off

The front forks could be fitted to carry more water, as could the frame, probably three more litres worth. There are no panniers(side saddle bags), for speed and manoeuvrability, but for SHTF scenario and the need to travel panniers might be necessary for food carry. Also, this bike is not fitted with stealth, the bags on it are highly reflective. But that can be altered with some craftsmen ship.

So yeah I thought I'd throw the idea out there that configuring your bug out bag for a trail and road capable bug out bike. That said, I look forward to biking all over southern and hopefully even northern Ontario and beyond!

EDIT- CLICK ON THE PHOTO ONCE TO ENLARGE IMAGE
Attachments
DSC_0190-950.jpg
DSC_0190-950.jpg (244.42 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
DSC_0187-950.jpg
DSC_0187-950.jpg (170.57 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
DSC_0186-950.jpg
DSC_0186-950.jpg (208.15 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Re: Bug-Out Bike

Postby The Canadian Giant » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Well thought out setup. This is a project that we have been working on for quite some time. We have completed many long distance cycle trips and have always been amazed by the distance and comfort under which we could travel. We have opted to add bike trailers to the outfit as well, simply because of was of riding with eight of the bike and the ability to be self sufficient for longer periods of time.

Couple suggestions.
    tire patches
    Spare retailers
    Spare chain pins
    Tire boots
    Spare rear cassette/hub depending on bike age
    Hammock rather than tent

Bikes are so flexible and provide so much potential. Keep us posted as you develop your system.
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 am

Good choice. Its the right tool for the job. 26 inch tires. lite, No shocks, racks. Preppers choice. Its getting harder and harder to find the newer bikes with that. You might want to improvise some splash guards or fenders, though. Rain, shooting up the front wheel and into your face can really impede your progress when you cant wait for the world to become dry again
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey, guys glad you like it. I put a lot of money, time and thought into it.

Canadian Giant, are tire patches worth it??? If you say so then ill pick some up, they're crazy cheap anyways, only thing is tubes are cheap too, I figured tire patches were just delaying the inevitable. Hmm.

Also, as a newb, I kinda am a little skeptical about the tire boots, with the lock in. Also, the thing about choosing any equipment prepper wise is the ability to be ale to switch parts without slowing down? What happens if the pedals break? Or the crank breaks? Then the boots and the pedals are useless. I like to keep options, maybe I'm just inexperienced with biking over the long distance.

C5 I'm glad you like it man. On top of the prepper function, this is also a way for me to get out of the city on a busy night, beat the traffic, camp out, or just simply get out of the city to go fishing. The possibilities are crazy with this type of set up.

I know some people scoff at the bike as a potential prepper vehicle, but in that case they don't understand. Good luck getting out of this city in rush hour let alone an emergency. Good luck on that, cause every day I pass about 400 cars, sports cars, SUV's whatever, and that's during rush hour.

So basically this city is in such massive gridlock when you least want it to be, that the bike is the only way out in an emergency. There is no other way, really. Believe me I'd love to have a truck, but I'd be stuck bumper to bumper watching cyclists drive past me by the dozens.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Postby The Canadian Giant » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 am

The new patches are incredibly quick and easy to use. You can literally patch a tube a dozen or more times before you finally just scrap it. Actually, cut it into one inch squares to use as fire starters. The reality with modern tubes/tires, is that you will rarely actually get a flat. If it's raining, cold, dark, just put a new tube in, patch it at your leisure and use it later. But by the time you have wrestled everything apart, you only add a few minutes to patch the existing tube...most times anyway.

Perhaps I have the wrong term for tire boots. Back when I used to ride in cactus country we would line our tires to increase their puncture resistance. We certainly thought they made a difference. Try these tire liners, not tire boots. http://www.mec.ca/product/4001-640/mr.- ... re%2Bliner For the purposes of ensuring your ability to move, they might be worth the investment.

My old steel frame mountain bike is still running the same pedals and cranks into its 3rd decade. Preventative maintenance, and a willingness to check things over is huge. Cranks will work their way loose, and loose bits start to deform metal and make future repairs more difficult. Give the bike a once over every day or so, make sure things are tight, well lubricated and adjusted.

As to your choice of a bicycle. It's brilliant. The bicycle remains one of our most efficient vehicles ever invented. What other vehicle can carry 15x's its own weight, while pulling aother 15x's its own weight, and run on roadkill and re-fried beans?
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

Postby 410001661 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I kept the old trailer that at I towed my kids in.......great for towing plus all the weight is off then bike
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 am

This is my kind of bug out bike ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHGxDp10D0
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 am

Nicely done, it's good to be able to fit everything onto the frame like that. I pulled a Yakima "Big Tow", which was basically a knock-off of the BOB trailer, for many years in the city. It was almost effortless with less than, oh, about 15kg of stuff. Single-wheel tracking directly behind me, and easy to use on good dirt trails as well. If you're able to get one at a comfortable price, I think you'd find it makes a good addition to your setup. I also found a moderate-sized backpack (large enough to hold a dozen bottles of beer) worked really well. Packed properly, it is capable of holding many days worth of food, for instance.
0 x

Return to “Survive and Thrive”