• Advertisement

Need ideas to hide valuables in a financial collapse

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Goldie
Canada

Need ideas to hide valuables in a financial collapse

Postby Goldie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 am

I am trying to think where are good places to hide valuables such as
extra money, extra supplies, special equipment, silver, gold, bullets... etc

Just like investments, where they tell us to diversify, I think we need to split up
some key things. But finding places to hide valuables in the first place , I am
coming up brain dead and stressed thinking about it.

I am also wondering , how much of our money in a Canadian bank is actually safe in the bank
in a collapse ? Somebody told me today we would lose it all, while I thought you were
insured for a certain amount of money ( not mutual funds though ). ?

I've been more prepping for natural weather disasters, power outtages, and
furnace fuel shortages, propance shortages and raising costs of foods, or loss of jobs.
Last edited by Goldie on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Where to hide valuables in a financial collapse

Postby helicopilot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 am

As you pointed out, I believe diversity is key. Could you store a small fireproof safe a aunt Suzie's place? How about another small one hidden behind the Christmas decorations in the closet? You could also burry some stuff too. I think the big concern is to remember where you squirrel away things.

Banks will secure your accounts up to $100Ks. Don't get me wrong, if it was an imminent total world financial collapse, I wouldn't wait to see if the government would eventually give me my money back. I would try to liquidate everything to get tangibles everything from precious metal to collectible a, but also every day items I would need eventually. A can of soup will always be worth a can of soup. With inflation, a can of soup may no longer be $0.75 though....
0 x

Cares

Re: Where to hide valuables in a financial collapse

Postby Cares » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 pm

The Australian government put a Bank Deposit Guarantee in place a few years ago but I heard recently in the news something about that being removed.
I don't trust the banks AT ALL and that is the main and pretty much the only reason I prep, natural disasters are not a big thing around here so I need not worry about them overly.
I don't think that a government guarantee is worth much, look what happened in Greece, the government couldn't pay the public servants and when they could they cut their pay.
Nope...I don't trust the banks or the governments :roll:
0 x

Captain_Ambiguous

Re: Need ideas to hide valuables in a financial collapse

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Home Depot and various other places sell electrical boxes, like you'd expect to find on the wall in your basement. Normally you open one and find it's got fuses or your cable internet junction or something. Buy one and find some place where it looks like it belongs. Camouflage it with wires sticking out the sides, and a phony sticker from Bob's Electrical Services or some such. Maybe secure it closed with a zip tie. And let it collect dust. More likely than not, it'll go unnoticed until people get desperate enough to sell your copper wires. But by that point you've probably moved out.

The above is just an example (and no that's not where my stuff is ;) ). The key is to get creative.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:20 am

There are also pictures everywhere on how to create realistic looking faux walls with lots of hidden storage behind.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Postby The Canadian Giant » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Something to consider is how difficult it is to find something you are actually looking for. For example, in geocaching, someone will hide an object, provide very specific coordinates, give hints as to what you are looking for, you use electronic aids, and you can spend large amounts of time searching and still come up empty. We expect people to keep their valuable in traditional locations: underwear drawers, safes, home offices, china cabinets. Avoid those places, don't bother with dummy safes, just think outside of the box, or the boxy house.

Virtually every household appliance outside of fridges/freezers as spare spare inside of the box. Look through your home and around your property. Piles of wood (hollowed out), stacks of firewood, old stumps, broken machinery, piles of garbage are 'normal' items, use these to your advantage. Search for images of geocaching puzzles and hides and you will gain some very interesting ideas about hiding things in plain site. Think like a smuggler, park an old beater on your property with false floors and spare tires full of goodies. Build a shed with cinder block walls, walls full of hollows to be filled with precious items. Perhaps I should stop before people get the idea that I've hidden things before.
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 pm

You can buy new empty paint cans at your local Home Hardware or Borg store. Take label off old can you are getting rid of, slap it on new can. Put your valuables inside and place on shelf with other old cans of paint.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:51 am

Sorry, I am being lazy. I had asked the same thing -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=680&hilit=hidden
0 x

frugalcanadaprepper

Postby frugalcanadaprepper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:30 pm

I believe that the bank accounts in Canada at banks (not necessarily Credit Unions) are insured for up to $100k. However that being said if there is a systemic collapse, the insurance agency that insures the accounts can only cover less than 5% of ALL accounts in Canada before needing the Federal Government to bail them out. The Federal Government is not going to bail out the insurers in my opinion because in 2013 on page 45 of the Economic Action Plan Canada's government basically set the stage for bail-ins, which mean to me that basically your bank account is an unsecured loan and don't leave any money in a bank that you aren't comfortable loosing tomorrow.

That being said there are plenty of places around your home to hide things. Go into a room and brain storm. Visually try to see where there might be a spot. But remember where you put stuff, tell someone you trust (or multiple people multiple hiding spots) so if you are sick or pass away your item can be used by someone else, and remember that if it's really valuable, to protect it with an appropriate safe, or fire/water proof container.

I love the paint can idea. Also burying plastic buckets. A milk container in the fridge (as long as no one throws it away once it's past it's best before date lol).

Happy Hiding!
0 x
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

CSG

Postby CSG » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:40 am

best place to hide something is in a 6" PVC pipe that has a threaded end caps gluded on either end, buried in a location that only you know about. You would be surprized just how much stuff you can fit in one of these and how long things last if they are sealed properly (O2 absorbers and Silica is a must). I know a few guys that have had stuff in underground Caches for more then 10 years and even the bullets they burried come out without any corrosion issues.

Regarding the banks the federal government just passed a bill in spring as they did in the USA allowing the banks to do what is called a Bail In. You heard of a bail out where the government pays for a company who is in financial distress (GM, GOLDMAN Sachs are examples). A bail in is where the Bank is allowed to take money from its membership to absolve its Debts. If you have a bank account then you are a member of the bank. I took my savings out in May (including RRSPs) and moved it to a better location.

If you value your money dont keep your savings in a bank in Canada, USA, Britan, Germany, France, Netherlands etc... Swiss banks are good but expensive.
0 x
CSG

Paracord is your friend

Return to “Survive and Thrive”