• Advertisement

Bugs???!

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Disasterstomper

Bugs???!

Postby Disasterstomper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to start a discussion on edible insects and what are some peoples feelings towards them? We are one of the only countries in the world that doesn't eat insects. They are far more accessible than deer and fowl.
Yes the "ewwww!!!" Factor. But if your bugging out in the woods and the hunting is unsuccessfull would you eat insects? :shock:
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Re: Bugs???!

Postby Adagio » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:04 pm

They are supposed to be full of nutrients so they are a viable option, but I would have to be really hungry. I did eat a grasshopper once - but it was chocolate covered, so it wasn't to bad. I think I would try to find other edible plants, roots, and bark before eating a bug. .
0 x

Disasterstomper

Postby Disasterstomper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Yes I have to agree with you on that one.... I've tried mealworms out of curiosity... But it didn't end well.
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:53 am

One more reason to not plan more than a relocation through the woods, and to stock enough seeds and coop materials to convince trapped pigeons or doves that that's where they live.
Man, I am sure there is a point that I could get that hungry, but I am going to have to have been drowning a lot of bugs with unsuccessful fishing first.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Then I win here too! I have eaten many kinds of bugs in my time but never thought to consider their taste or nutritional value as I was too busy choking! I have been a biker for 42 years happen to live where the mosquito likely originated (as we have more than our allotted share). I'll have to remember to try the chocolate thing though to get rid of the aftertaste.

That's my wife who thought it would be smart to ride into a sunrise....I warned her of fog around the lakes!
0 x

amaryllis

Postby amaryllis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:45 am

If I had no other choice I would...in the meantime I plan to keep building my food storage :)
0 x

Wordiestdata

Postby Wordiestdata » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I ate some ants when I was younger, really wasn't that bad. It would probably be my insect of choice if I really needed to eat but the problem is....these things are tiny.
0 x
My channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAG4rBnmHS7MPWxKzDrJmkQ
E-mail : thecanadianprepperproject@gmail.com

Ready for anything...

Tarnthewoodsman
Canada

Postby Tarnthewoodsman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:28 am

Grasshoppers are actually quite nice, they taste a lot like shrimp. Just make sure you take the heads and legs off, if you do it properly you can pull the head and guts out in one piece. Earthworms are another good one. Catch a bunch, then keep them in a moist container with nothing else in it for two to three days. That way they empty their digestive system. Then you can grind them up and use it as you would ground beef. It is not bad at all.
Most of the reasons people have a bad first experience eating insects is because they were not prepared well.
0 x

Return to “Survive and Thrive”