• Advertisement

TGIF ~ The Mobile Home as your BOV ~

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Knuckle

Re: The Mobile Home as your BOV

Postby Knuckle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 am

That's telling it like it is C5 :lol: Folks don't think of the issues with dumping waste as they ask to use the washroom. They'd look at me dumbfounded when I tell them that even I try not to carp where I sleep :( I would try to time things so you crapped in public washrooms or at friend's houses. I used to get female friends to either do my laundry or at least let me use their machines while I visited. Same trick with all friends. I often had agreements with those I parked at that I could shower, but this usually involved making sure the guy was home and the woman was in a good mood. When I did shower in the bus, I had a gate valve to drop the grey water outside if it was warm enough out to do so.

When I first started, I had a piece of garden hose and a funnel set up in my front porch area so I could use it like a urinal for my morning piss. A neighbour had called in a bylaw officer earlier when she spotted me outside watering a tire, and so this was my new get by system. It's not a nifty invention you tell your friends about too quickly so not many were in the know... So one day a friend runs out of gas and comes over to our house (where I was parked) thinking we might have some gas and not have to walk so far otherwise to the pumps. None of us were home, he only finds an empty can, a short length of garden hose and decides to siphon some gas from my bus.....you do the math :o Bikers find humour in such things and have to remind our friends with a retelling at every party! 8-)
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:13 pm

LOL, one of the perks of being married to a geologist, if you need to go, you go wherever in the bush, and on the trip, beside the road, and we have never lost the habit, working at the barns, forget trekking back to the house etc

Hubby tells the story about being in a "protected" area, where they had a 55 gallon drum with funnel, and you could use a honey pot and then walk over a pour it in, or they had steps for the guys to just step up.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 am

And with that said, I see a moment where I can likely play male chauvinist and not be shot....

Farmgal has shown a quality that all men should appreciate...to accept the situation and let practicality be your guide. I could never see what any guy could find attractive in a "prissy" girl. Even in my youth, this attitude appeared to say they were useless doing anything practical. The attitude speaks volumes of needing to be catered to and would require constant servitude to keep them happy. I was always chasing the ones in tight jeans instead of dresses. You can't take prissy ones camping or fishing. If I took them for a bike ride and all they did was complain about knots in their hair later(because they weren't smart enough to tie it or tuck it), it was usually the first sign that they weren't meant for me.

Finding one that would piss by the side of the road is like achieving top score in a biker's beauty pageant questionnaire! 8-)
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 pm

For those who cant afford much and don't have a big car, I think this trailer could be the ultimate option for a mobile home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EBhh4z8o0g I have thought many times about building one of these as you could use any basic trailer as your base and the rest could all be made of wood. Custom built ones go for $10,000 yet I could see building one for maybe $600 if you can sew too. Check out the pricing http://www.golittleguy.com/

Heres even a cooler one if you want to be more creative yet. http://www.gizmag.com/alto-teardrop-tra ... ndo/31178/
Heres some specs and pricing for a kit version http://www.minitears.com/build-it-yourself_kits
And another kit with pics http://tinyhouseblog.com/travel-trailer ... iler-kits/

Look how many have already done just this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VLezTJfns
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Sometimes I feel that maybe I'm still trying to prove to others that I wasn't weird when I lived in a bus :? . Now that I have an RV instead, I know that it will better blend in with the normal views of society, but I know too that it will never take the back road pounding a Bluebird bus can. RV's have a rubber membrane on their roof that is waterproof but eventually leaks at the seams and allows everything which is wood below to then wrought. The metal roof of a Bluebird holds for years when folks even bury them underground...their that tough! Insurance is usually easier and cheaper to get on a pre-manufactured RV versus a converted bus too. There are always such issues....sigh!

Here is young fella who did a quick 8 day setup of a small bus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o61BEjKMSfI . This isn't rocket science and it doesn't take a whole lot of cash either. Just a simple bus like this could be a yard project in the city as I did 2 buses in Calgary to prove it can be done. As usual, the hardest part to any project is to just start! If you waste much time discussing it with others, they'll just fill your head with reasons not to.

Now I'd seen this tent trailer on the side of the road for weeks for sale for only $200. I didn't need it but knew that even the parts were worth that alone. Likely it was cheap because all the canvas is wroughting. I never acted quick enough and my neighbour grabbed it first. This is how he solved the canvas issue. Image
Even this $200 trailer could now be a camper or bug out trailer and for cheap! With a little more effort, he could still have fold down bunks in the walls as the trailer once did with canvas so as to sleep more people. TOO EASY!
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Spooky, once again. This is exactly what I recommend for the extremely tight budgeted, and I have recommended it to a friend before. You get these for 200$ because the canvas rots. Tear the extra stuff out. Four pieces of plywood, four, two by fours. Hi density foam sheets for insolation. Some sealant and paint. Done.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:06 am

Try to remember...You are not trying to be hip, red neck, or innovative retro cool. Your only motivation is a safe, dry place to sleep with protection against hypothermia. This is not homelessness. Its a tight home. Its a better home than most peoples have known in our collective histories. Ive had to survive in actual debris huts for actual survival( while some people were actually trying to kill me. Don't fool yourself. This is way better than playing Backpack, Backwoods, Batman)...and you can actually make it homey

It gets me in touch with my inner Survivalist Cher. " Well, I was bourn in the wagon of a travelling show....."
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:18 pm

The funny thing is I'd often like to build another. Better of course because each attempt shows you what you'd now do different. Even though I have an RV now, the sturdiness of the Bluebird remains the selling point. When an RV gets into an auto accident, they show their frailty as their wood frame flies apart. The fiberglass ones show their ability to burn easily too. The Bluebird also has that "I can head for the hills and not get stuck doing it " aspect that no other can proclaim.

The downside is that the Bluebird often sets a stereotypical mindset to attract parking tickets from every P/O that passes. They leave a subliminal message that their owners cannot afford to pay their way in society. The Bluebird doesn't look like it belongs in any neighbourhood, rich or poor. It suggests that "gypsy lifestyle" to any passerby and that too is maybe why we chose them too. It seems to fit the same persona that bikers appeal to.

But this sturdiness allows to fasten a heavy duty roof rack which can haul a ton of junk(only if you had too). The deck allows you to get above and into the mosquito no fly zone so you and others can relax while camping. You can afix a killer bushguard to beat down a moose if need be. You can extend the rear bumper to haul a bike and still have a hitch to tow more crap if you needed to. Next round I'd add external underbelly compartments like a Greyhound has.

It appears I have more crap I would rather live with today than last time round. I still consider myself a minimalist still in many aspects but now I despise clutter far more. Everything has to have a proper place and this approach helps me overcome the absentmindedness that comes with old age. I can fix most things from electrical to mechanical but can't remember where I put the screwdriver last time. :D I would also drag far more tools than ever around so I could even eek out a living too at what I do best if need be. As Red Green said, "If you ain't handsome, you can at least be handy". :lol:

I may not have pics of my old buses but I do have a few of the ol' 47 Knuckle I built and road for 21 years(yes, hence the nickname).....
And almost every part there is handmade, often with few tools. Seems the gold plating and chroming ended though as soon as I got hitched and had rugrats to feed!
0 x

cernunnos5

Re: TGIF ~ The Mobile Home as your BOV ~

Postby cernunnos5 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:00 am

0 x

ndn

Postby ndn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Even this $200 trailer could now be a camper or bug out trailer and for cheap! With a little more effort, he could still have fold down bunks in the walls as the trailer once did with canvas so as to sleep more people. TOO EASY![/quote]

this looks like a good project it simple and awesome wont win any contest but it will keep me out of the rain
0 x
Thank you

NDN

Return to “Survive and Thrive”