• Advertisement

TGIF ~ Camping Gear - The MUST Have Stuff! ~

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
endangeredspecies

Re: Camping Gear - The MUST Have Stuff!

Postby endangeredspecies » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:34 pm

me too i dont like the lifestraw its look like a cheap device trashable
i like more this product has straw http://www.amazon.com/Renovo-Trio-Purif ... ater+straw
personaly i love sawyer mini its fit on every bottle and can filter 3 litter of water for 7 years "if you back wash it regulary"
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-S ... rds=sawyer
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 am

Both those look really interesting. I love the 4.5/5 rating most. :D Your 1st one appears to filter the water immediately thru assembly , yes? Different approach but seems just right to fit in khaki pants pockets and such..nice! And they look like they could take a fall or 2 also....even better.
0 x

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:57 am

the renovo trio its very interesting because u can change cartridge kinda so its endless and also im sure stuck in the wood i can improvise a carbon filter to fit on it
look this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4sBkR9eJzk
0 x

RT_survive
Canada

Postby RT_survive » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:46 pm

endangeredspecies wrote:me too i dont like the lifestraw its look like a cheap device trashable
i like more this product has straw http://www.amazon.com/Renovo-Trio-Purif ... ater+straw
personaly i love sawyer mini its fit on every bottle and can filter 3 litter of water for 7 years "if you back wash it regulary"
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-S ... rds=sawyer

The LifeStraw wasn't designed to look cool, and it wasn't intended for camping enthusiasts.

It is a very rugged filter, originally intended for disaster relief. It won a ton of awards for its use in calamities such as the 2010 Haiti earthquake, floods in Thailand and Pakistan, and is on the main list of relief items sent into third world countries that need clean drinking water.

Knuckle wrote:The Lifestraw seems to be similar to the water bottle I got from Walmart for $10.00.

What kind of filter did the $10 Walmart water bottle have? The LifeStraw filters 1,000 liters (2.7L water a day for 1 year) at 0.2 micrometers, and removes 99.9% of all protozoa, giardia and cryptosporidium without the use of chemicals or batteries.

I can't stress enough how useful it has been to me over the last 4 years that I've owned it. I've used carbon pump filters, ceramic filters, gravity filters, iodine, bleach, chlorine dioxide, distilled, boiled, and bombarded water with UV light using a SteriPen. I would always pick the LifeStraw as my main filter. I simply scoop lake or puddle water into my bottle, and sip through the LifeStraw while continuing on my hike. No fuss, no pumping, no waiting for chemicals, no boiling, no swishing around a UV light. I wish I had this when I was in the military.
0 x

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 pm

sorry RT_survive but u didnt convinced me
the life straw it a piece of crap to me there nothing it can do that another filter dosn't
the sawyer mini its much better and can be use has a straw also
High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa
Sawyer's certified 0.1 micron absolute filter removes bacteria and protozoa at a higher rate than accepted EPA guidelines

so in conclusion the sawyer filter has 0.1 instead of 0.2 and filter 100,000 gallon instead of 1,000 litter for the lifestraw and its 4 $ dollar cheaper :)
0 x

RT_survive
Canada

Postby RT_survive » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Haha, that Sawyer looks like a good filter too. :) For some reason, I thought you had posted the same link (Renovo) twice, so I didn't see it. I think I'll pick one up for testing purposes, thanks.
0 x

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm

RT_survive wrote:Haha, that Sawyer looks like a good filter too. :) For some reason, I thought you had posted the same link (Renovo) twice, so I didn't see it. I think I'll pick one up for testing purposes, thanks.

look this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4sBkR9eJzk
the guy compare sawyer lifestraw and more

what i like from the renovo trio its has carbon filter wich remove chemicals(Lead, Chlorine, Arsenic, etc) and can be re-use by replacing cartridge
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 pm

RT_survive wrote:What kind of filter did the $10 Walmart water bottle have? The LifeStraw filters 1,000 liters (2.7L water a day for 1 year) at 0.2 micrometers, and removes 99.9% of all protozoa, giardia and cryptosporidium without the use of chemicals or batteries.

I can't stress enough how useful it has been to me over the last 4 years that I've owned it. I've used carbon pump filters, ceramic filters, gravity filters, iodine, bleach, chlorine dioxide, distilled, boiled, and bombarded water with UV light using a SteriPen. I would always pick the LifeStraw as my main filter. I simply scoop lake or puddle water into my bottle, and sip through the LifeStraw while continuing on my hike. No fuss, no pumping, no waiting for chemicals, no boiling, no swishing around a UV light. I wish I had this when I was in the military.

My bad.....Now that's good to know and I figured you'd likely correct me if I was wrong.. :lol:

I'm reading the stats on the Walmart bottle as I haven't tried it out at all....It's a Brita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDe-ssRdzg#t=11
I don't know if it meets many of the standards your choice does. I live where theres lots of clean water...also I live where you have many obstacles to jump over and fall on your butt as the bush is very dense and the trails are mostly used only by game. :oops: :cry: You'd think I'm planning to fall or something :shock: .

I would definitely choose yours to filter my water if microbial bacteria were dropping folks here. BTW, I mention this as I'm drinking unfiltered tap water... :lol: Now some of the other towns nearby can't say the same as the mines pump arsenic, and cyanide (and mercury at one time), back into their lakes after they claim to have neutralized them. Maybe the fact we have better fishing here suggests that someone might be fibbing, cause it's a proven fact that dead fish don't lie....! 8-)
0 x

Return to “Survive and Thrive”