• Advertisement

Are you really prepared?

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
RATTS
Canada

Are you really prepared?

Postby RATTS » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:53 pm

I have often wondered and even still been amazed at how many people cannot survive one day without shelter, food, or someone to get it for them?
Prepping is a great idea, it may even save your life one day. Survival skills are another story that seems to be discussed very little here on this site. Maybe I have not read or scrounged around enough yet?
What happens to your prepping supplies and shelter if an earthquake or volcano goes off under you house or shelter? Extreme I know but just for clarity, if your supplies are destroyed and you are out on your own or even with friends and family, can you supply basic needs and shelter to stay alive?
Internet information is one thing actual real life doing is another.
In my experience panic and fear seem to be the worst mindset a person can have, they will kill you faster than anything else out there. If you want to beat that process real life application is the only way to go.
Can you walk out your back door or anyplace you can get to safely and practice these skills, that is the only way you will ever know if you can survive or even thrive, put the knowledge to actual practice and see what HAPPENS.
Build a shelter and a fire, sleep in it, hunt for food and water and practice your skills, use resources around you and don't carry everything you will need to survive, because once it runs out then what???
A little hint tin cans can be used as stew pots.
GOOD LUCK
0 x

peppercorn

Re: Are you really prepared?

Postby peppercorn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:58 pm

The title doesnt match the premiss...By your own admision the situations that would require such action are the most remote and unlikely....to have to live for a extended period of time in the wild and thrive as you say....if this is all a person can do or are preparing for they are the least prepared of all.

Here is a thought for those truly trying to be more self reliant. nail down some food production and storage,nail down your power (electric ) requirments, and be able to meet them for a extended period of time, heat, have some..real important in Canada, be able to generate some.
Water same thing, be able to store and produce, then round it off with alternate transport. Dont matter if you live in the city or country you can do the above.....Now once you have done these things then you can can think about going and playing woodsman, not that I am trying to underplay that, but why put effort into that if you havnt nailed the other. 2nd if this is your A plan...you need to to do a full stop and try and figure out how you got to such a stage in life that you dont have so much as a single friend, not one that wouldnt take you in? wouldnt even let you sleep in the corner of the basement?, or maybe in the shed in the back yard?
no...you have to run away from all, and live in the woods.....let me tell you as someone who does live in the country and does go right out into the bush at -20, -25 and Id go at -30 but the dogs wont follow me then, you do not want to do this unless its going from point a to b ,
I do because im snowshoeing and thats fun for me, but its deadly to some city dude with his coppied bob, and maybe he has even bought himself some pretty snowshoes...he will likely find out as he goes into the bush that his cheap bindings tear or break and he can find himself unable to move through deep snow without great effort that will exhaust him....I do know one thing though that as the sweat from trying to stomp through knee or waist high snow starts to freeze on him , his only thoughts as he shivers to death is going to be "if only I had a friend instead of a bob"
I dont have to worry about surviving in the bush...I have friends and so long as I keep making the payments on time I will have a place to go.
Again not really slaging you on this, in fact I love going out into the bush but I advise everyone to nail the other things first, then you will be really prepared.
To be really prepared for going in the bush, you need to do it, and do it again and again, you will learn nothing from experts and utube vids as far as I am concerned...doing will teach you all the lessons you need to know, and most importantly doing keeps you in shape to be able to go into the woods for a extended period. If joe blow sofa spud thinks he is going to be able to grab his bob and head out marching 10 km through 2 feet of snow at -25 he is in for a surprise as to the effort its going to take, now maybe if he jogs or walks a few km every evenning he will be in shape to do so but really a lot of the people who talk about going out into the bush...well lets just say they do a lot of talking from the sofa while puffing on a smoke....and I dont mean you RATTS, I am just saying from some of the ones I have seen and talked to , and this brings up another thing...you can find all types, and groups who will be happy to prance around telling you how skilled they are and how they will teach you all you need to know, for a fee ofcourse...they do not know anything you wont find out by doing yourself. So if you have nailed the otherthings and are serious about going into the bush and being ready for that, then prepare to stay active everyday day at least a little bit...it takes me a full month of snowshoeing before I hit my stride and can go 10-12km non stop through deep snow.Some body telling you different is yanking your chain.. (ofcourse I am old now so maybe someone younger can get up to speed faster.)

I just reread your post, you are advocating for them to go out and do it, to practice and such...i read to fast the first time...
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Jensen

Postby Jensen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes.
0 x

JackDee

Postby JackDee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Can be considered prepared.

Agree with what peppercorn have said, some people who let you sleepover would be nice. Like I said before, since I always try to be in good terms with people, they allow me to use some lockers or even a small room for me to stock my supplies and equipments.

And to make good terms with people is not always about leadership thingy, sometimes just being honest and offering services they will trade you something back. I've done mowing so many lawns in trade for sleeping in the garage. Due to some unfortunate events I have to lost my small computer store and now decide to live on the road. But I enjoyed it and still be able to prep since now got many depots everywhere. :D How I manage to maintain good terms as a homeless guy even when I travel a lot? I used remote software to help them troubleshoot pc related problems. Simply said, they help me I help them.
0 x
Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

RATTS
Canada

Postby RATTS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Aha Peppercorn you got it lol, but your comments are true, no man is an island. I can and do spend time in the bush as much as I can, not as much as I would like. It is all about the practical side of things, practice makes it easier the more you do it the better you are at it. Again it is about the mind set and the practical side of doing things you would not do normally.

Prepping is great and everyone should be prepared in one way or another for what ever situation. Being a soloist is one thing but connections to people and friends and family is very important, those connections and reading people properly will save you a lot of heartache and problems in the future.

Again practice for every situation, the military made us march in circles for weeks on end, but at the end of the training everybody was out of step except Knuckle??

Time to make some wooden arrows and practice slingshot hunting later all.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 am

Absolutely no disrespect intended. My response is here. It deserved a new posting. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5501&p=60778#p60778
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm an avid outdoorsman and have spent a little time in unpleasant conditions out there. The only reason I would recommend someone try it is so they don't fear being there.
By choice? Hell no! The reason I prep is so I'm not doing it "if and when".
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:01 pm

I too responded also in the "part two" as it is more suited to C5's comments, yet it too suites that which Ratts imposed here.

Many consider the aspects of prepping being a temporary fix to a bad situation. Ratt's perspective on preparing is partially set by his faith in God being with him during such a time. I understand this as I know Ratts well enough to see this as he presents this topic in challenge to you readers . What I mentioned in C5's thread is that age has now also become a major factor as arthritis is something no one considers until it too becomes a daily occurrence. I too talk more about the bush than I do trekking around in it these days. I still go out, but not near as often as I used to.

I have stalked and killed far too many critters in my life, for sport as much as it was for the meat. Much was done in the name of practice alone! When I mention things like practicing with a pellet rifle at back yard targets to keep some senses sharp and get criticized for doing so, I then doubt that many fully understand the reasons behind this concept. It is to make all actions automatic, so that you do them instantly and without doubt. The weapon is secondary to the motions of preparing to take the shot.

Ratts is another archer and he eventually showed me the ways of shooting indoors while I showed him my way of shooting outdoors. I learned that there are many distractions to indoor shooting and competing. Many of those who do it have their techniques totally perfected. Their bow sights are finely tuned to 10,20 and 30 yards and many score high as Ratts did with a 285/300 in one shoot when I was with him and likely distracting him too. I shot 235/300 that day. Yet when I took him gopher hunting, you now had to guess the distance, shoot a target that could duck when the arrow is half way there, account for wind direction and not take all day to perfect your release.... Seems there are different ways to practice after all. Hitting something as small as a gopher is like a heart and lung shot on large game. Either way can get you in shape for a kill shot... which one's better? I don't know his best at target shooting, but my best gopher killing spree was 74 in 2 1/2 hours. Once you learn the animal and can then predict the way it's going to move, it becomes far easier to kill!

Yet most never get to the range and most never get to a farmer's field either. Is not squeezing off a few shots with a pellet rifle not the same for many aspects of shooting game too? Some practice is better than no practice just as archery was. I shot my bow daily to stay sharp and I shoot my pellet rifle today with that same concept in mind. It reminds me to wipe all things from my mind even for a few minutes and concentrate on the shot. The pellet doesn't travel as reliable a path as a .22 cal bullet, so then you must know which was at fault when you miss. Was it the sloppy fit of the pellet falling into the barrel(versus those you push in because they are tighter) or human error instead? Seems I now seem to mentally break down the aspects of pellet rifles much like I did with archery. If you too try it, we can then compare notes. If you don't, your loss, as this is likely the rifle you'd use the most in a SHTF scenario, not your .22 cal. Why, because it is by far the cheapest and quietest BANG for your buck!

Ratts has taken on perfecting the slingbow. Quite a topic in itself. I too have collected the makings to maybe compete with himyet, but I still have yet to even shoot it. I need to hit a city for arrows and such first. As I no longer have the fletching jigs or the wish to restart down and old road, I doubt I will pursue this much further... :roll: Ratts is older and thus more stubborn. He'll stick with it until he masters it show anything is possible as that's how he rolls :lol:

Good thread Ratts!
0 x

Return to “Survive and Thrive”