• Advertisement

community or die

Please take a few moments to read over the Code Of Conduct and then go ahead and introduce yourself to the forum.
tradesman

community or die

Postby tradesman » Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 am

yours truly
Last edited by tradesman on Wed May 27, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: community or die

Postby helicopilot » Mon May 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Interesting post Tradesman.

I would think that most people here are beyond the Swiss Army knife and a few cans stashed away though. While I completely support your need for communities argument, I've seen this to be more of a problem than a solution in the short term. Perhaps you can offer insightful solutions to the following dilemmas:

1) there seems to be 2 ways to get into a prepper community a) "convert" neighbours to a prepper lifestyle, or b) find like-minded preppers and start a community. "A" exposes you and your preps to people that may turn on you later if they don't jump on board. "B" is difficult in that due to our low density, preppers who meet to form a community will come from different regions. To start a community, one, many or all the preppers would have to relocate which can be an issue for employment.

2) It is difficult for preppers to come up as equal into a community, whether financially or other. Therefore there is a risk for anemosity if people don't all commit the same time, same money, same work into the community. This is especially true for option "B" above.

3) preppers are secretive by nature so it's very difficult to get enough momentum going.

All food for thought and I'm really opened to hearing work around those issues.

Welcome to the forum Tradesman
0 x

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Mon May 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Salutations
Last edited by tradesman on Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 am

I think you are preaching to the converted, but this doesn't absolve the issue of how to make it happen. Secretive people don't put their cards up for everyone to see.

Personally, I don't believe in having a retreat that is uninhabited but expect to be there for me, still stocked up, by the time I get there. So that means if I can't live at the retreat, then someone from the group has to. Does that make the site's tenant "the Boss"? While this person or family looks after the property year round, they may resent that I only turn up on weekends to help out. Also, is there enough trust that if the balloon goes up and I find my way to the retreat that the owner won't just call squatter's right and declare ownership of it all (to the benefit of their family) while excluding us, at gun point? Other than that, you need to be very comfortable with a communal approach which isn't far from a communist approach... Everyone is the same, provides the same, gets the same, all in the spirit of collectivity.

I wouldn't discount an option where you choose your neighbourhood based on... the neighbours. A small subdivision with a retired farmer, an engineer, a doctor or nurse, a police officer, teacher, etc. When things turn sour, demonstrate leadership and bring everyone together. They may not have all the preps you have (double up on everything ahead of time!!!) but they are manpower and brainpower and live close by and you can work together to shelter the storm.

Maybe C5 can tell us more how he got his MAG together which seems like he managed to make work.
0 x

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Tue May 26, 2015 2:45 am

That's a lot of what if's.
Last edited by tradesman on Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 pm

helicopilot wrote:
Personally, I don't believe in having a retreat that is uninhabited but expect to be there for me, still stocked up, by the time I get there. So that means if I can't live at the retreat, then someone from the group has to.

Maybe C5 can tell us more how he got his MAG together which seems like he managed to make work.

A retreat is useless unless its actually food productive. Production takes years and that means some one has to live there...often at great personal cost and sacrifice. A group is like a garden. I am purchasing through my sweat and sacrifice...a community. It doesn't just happen and once it does it takes constant upkeep or your garden (the group) will die.

The short answer to HCP is... You have to fail 100 times. That's why I type less nowdays. Ive had to talk to 100 that broke my heart for each person that are now my new family. If I can just get caught up on some other people I need to connect with, I'll add more about this to the other post.
The other short answer is...lots of coffee meets to screen people and dinner parties to grow relationships. The dinner party is the ultimate prepper skill. Not Bug Out training. I wish someone had taught me that before wasting years of becoming a bush ninja. LOL
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Tue May 26, 2015 7:31 pm

I beg to differ
Last edited by tradesman on Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

Welcome.
No time for a long post but I'm with C5 on this one. Most important is fresh food. All the other stuff is once a week or month or year. You'll get hungry - every day - probably more than once.
If you plan to be eating 5 years from now, you're already behind. Building soil takes years, a food forest many more years.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:24 am

Hello all. I agree with with c5 . You need at least some people to live on property full time. To upkeep and maintain the gardens and to improve on the land and so on. Bug out location as most have. Better have at least 1 yr of food. Do to just get a garden started is allot of work plus maintain it. You need basicaly 1 acre of garden per person to feed a yr. Give or take on soil and what you grow. Plus rest of stuff just to live. Water and upkeep on place and wood collection and so on . Only way really to survive when shtf is in a group. With a place set up already with basic needs.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 pm

I also agree, you need someone on the property now. BUT...I suppose not a must! You would just be using an awful lot of energy as soon as you arrive at your groups place to get everything started. It would be difficult as hell, but not impossible.
I suppose much better than having nothing!! Your garden/soil would have to be started, your livestock bartered for, fencing, water.....ya, you'd be better off getting as much prepared on site as you could!!!
0 x

Return to “New Members Start Here”