• Advertisement

Newb Ottawa

Please take a few moments to read over the Code Of Conduct and then go ahead and introduce yourself to the forum.
Liezurly
Canada

Newb Ottawa

Postby Liezurly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Hallo,
This may sound odd but I started my interest in this after reading a post-apocalyptic book. I used to love reading those when I was younger. Now i find if it relates to the environment or the way humans are constantly altering nature then it hits too close to what our futures could actually have in store for us for me to truly enjoy. Our children need to know what it is we are leaving behind for them and to TRULY know how to survive in this world we are creating. We may not have been the original creators but we have been doing our part to "play god" and are definitely the new creators and it's not going to end well.

I myself understand that we are most definitely a ying-yang society. There is no good without the evil. We just would not exist in coherent thought if that weren't part of it. So anyone thinking world peace is an option is themselves delusional. So I want to be prepared.

I myself believe that if SHTF were to happen in the next century then this type of prepping has a chance to garner survivors. However if climate has a chance to get the upper hand before things go chaotic then this may not be the answer. Once the world warms up and people start to migrate to more northern regions we will just be too over populated to have any luck finding a safe haven to shelter down and wait out the storm. Possibly too late by then?

So this is a slice into my thoughts. :D Maybe I'll get to know some of you out there over time? Have a great Spring! Party on Wayne!!

About me: 43, First Nations, Trans/two-spirit (ftm) I mention these so people know who they are surrounding themselves with from the start. Not necessarily to be a topic of discussion. If you are ok with my culture and gender then sweet, if not then at least you know this about me. :)

Liez
0 x

Nagol
Canada

Re: Newb Ottawa

Postby Nagol » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 am

Welcome Liezurly

Just curious, which book was it?
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Liezurly
Canada

Postby Liezurly » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Oryx and Crake. Margaret Atwood was not someone i ever thought i'd find myself reading even though she is a fellow Canadian and I am quite the reader, but there i was. Her book in my mind was way over the top for the time, but it had both a environmental and human altering theme to it which gets the brain going regardless of how way out to left field it may seem. Having all that in one book may seem outlandish, but taken apart and seen individually it is in my mind quite possible. Except the perfect people. We'll have killed ourselves off enough and lost that kind of technology before we figure that one out.
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Welcome to the board
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Liezurly
Canada

Postby Liezurly » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you for the "welcomes" :)
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Liez! Hope you'll find the exchanges here interesting and informative. Looking forward to reading your posts as well.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Something I heard Margaret Atwood mention in an interview one time..she said that EVERYTHING in her "futuristic" books is possible right now, present day. She just exaggerates them for effect, of course, but one of her points is that as a society, we often do not think through the implications of certain technology and its impact on humans and on the biosphere or society. We only look at the benefits without considering that some apply the same knowledge unethically, in the service of greed - with the end result sometimes being new diseases or pathogens, creepy animal hybrids, or medical "advances" that do not improve quality of life.

Anyways, welcome to the board :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “New Members Start Here”