• Advertisement

Bugging Out - 1st try

Post pictures of your prepper projects here.
Hydrocram

Bugging Out - 1st try

Postby Hydrocram » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 am

DSC01754.JPG
Bugout bag
DSC01754.JPG (143.85 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
I'm going to be putting my Bug Out preps to the test next week. A friend and I are heading out for 5 days on some Quebec crown land. Here is the quick show and tell of what's in my pack. It's a High Sierra 75l backpack. It currently weighs 35lbs loaded without the shotgun and with the 2.5l Hydra bladder empty.
DSC01753.JPG
DSC01753.JPG (133.7 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

Shotgun is a 12" Dominion Arms Grizzly (Rem 870). Will not be used for hunting... only warding off hungry critters that are known to be where we are going. Next is my Les Stroud jungle machete. I've heard mixed reviews on it, including that they break, will have to try it and see. Next is my Cold Steel GI Tanto knife for bushcraft and some cheap spear tip knife that I just like. The slingshot is mostly for fun but if I'm lucky enough to hit a squirrel or rabbit it would be a nice treat.
DSC01751.JPG
DSC01751.JPG (139.49 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
I like to have a little comfort in my shelters. My friend on the other hand is more than content sleeping on the bare ground in a lean-to. I have an ENO ProNest hammock with an MSR e-wing tarp to overtop. The cammo ground tarp is optional and will stay home on this voyage. As always about 150' of 550 paracord and a folding stool as my luxury item.
Last edited by Hydrocram on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
All of my hard work, and all of my preparedness I do for the two most important people in my life.
Charity really does begin at home.

Hydrocram

Re: Bugging Out - 1st try

Postby Hydrocram » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:58 am

Continued:
DSC01750.JPG
DSC01750.JPG (138.13 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Homemade wood gas stove, mess kit, firestarters/lighters saw and shovel, water filter/purification etc.
DSC01749.JPG
DSC01749.JPG (140.5 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Food, fishing, and snare.
DSC01752.JPG
DSC01752.JPG (135.87 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Toiletries, first aid, and communications. not shown are change of clothes and GPS. I'm sure I could probably do just fine with less than all this, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.
I will try to take some pics and video of our bug out trial and update how well my preps do or do not sustain me for the week.
0 x
All of my hard work, and all of my preparedness I do for the two most important people in my life.

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Have a great trip!! Sounds like fun - aside from the bears ;) !
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Lysa

Postby Lysa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 am

Love to hear about this - what would you change for next time??
0 x

Hydrocram

Postby Hydrocram » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:52 pm

well I'm back and it was AWESOME!!! Unfortunately neither my friend nor I remembered to pack a camera so there is no documentation of all the provable events....such as the many black bears and cooking/eating snakes.
All I do have are the GPS images of where we went. Keep in mind this is all on foot, cutting our own trail with machetes.
I left a few items behind...I did not bring the shovel or stool. And the entire time I was away I wished I had a stool and shovel.
I could have brought less food. I suppose it's better to have too much than not enough, but we way overpacked food items. I would not bother packing a change of clothes other than dry socks. I spent the entire week in the same pants and long sleeve shirt. Changing into shorts would have been a death wish with all the bugs and sharp branches. Hammock camping is absolutely great. Perfectly comfortable but you must layer correctly to stay warm between 4 and 6 am.
0 x

pustolov

Postby pustolov » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:13 am

How did you like your Les Stroud jungle machete ?
How long did you guys stayed?
0 x

Hydrocram

Postby Hydrocram » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm

we were gone 4 days. Not very long.
The machete was great. I loved it. No negative issues at all. Planning another trip in February or March. promise to bring a camera this time.
Here's a pic of my shelter setup from another outing at our cottage. And I forgot to post the GPS pics, will do that also but I have to compress them a bit as they are too large to post.
DSC01786.JPG
hammock shelter
DSC01786.JPG (131.56 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
0 x

Return to “Prepper Pics”