• Advertisement

Prepping in an Apartment

jporter

Re: Prepping in an Apartment

Postby jporter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:47 pm

We were forced to get a storage unit. The cost sucks but we were drowning in kids toys gear. My 30 year old camper will be stocked up soon and ready to rock. I hate our apartment. But its cheap
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:54 pm

underprepared wrote:As was mentioned before, take it one small step at a time. For instance, if you plan on taking your kids ice skating this winter, then bring along the supplies needed to heat water and make everyone some hot chocolate. Do little things like that to get used to the equipment and see what works and doesn't work.

OMG I love that idea. Would be fun for all of us. And a great way to practice too. :)
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 am

jporter wrote:We were forced to get a storage unit. The cost sucks but we were drowning in kids toys gear. My 30 year old camper will be stocked up soon and ready to rock. I hate our apartment. But its cheap

Before you got the camper and where prepping in the apartment how did you store everything / make it work with kids?
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 am

Hi Knuckles,
Thank you so much for the advice, and sharing from your experiences. I am from the KW area, so any good starter places within an hour or two?

You are so right about kids becoming dead heads. They love their video games. I really try to keep them active other nights though with things like swimming lessons, muaty thai. The one thing that is amazing is that both my boys do love to camp, and both are pretty adventurous. I did one on one camping trips with them last year just at my cousins place, they loved it, but we also had easy access to modern ammenties. Same when we camp at my parents place. This year I want to get away from being able to use the potty, or have someone serve you dinner, and cook over a fire pit, and test out some gear. :)

Silly question, where does one learn things like how to clean a fish? I have gone fishing with my dad before, (I will not profess to be an expert at all) but he always just did the cleaning. Mans work ect ect....
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:30 am

drwkids wrote:
Silly question, where does one learn things like how to clean a fish? I have gone fishing with my dad before, (I will not profess to be an expert at all) but he always just did the cleaning. Mans work ect ect....

Simple answer, first you need fish and a filleting knife. This means you must go fishing to progress to the next stage. Something else to get your kids into. When I first moved my family here into Lake of the Woods region, I bought them all decent fishing rods and took them fishing. Again, most folks won't like fishing until they manage to catch some. Then they get the bug like anything else. Thus I first got them addicted to fishing , then I taught them to clean the fish.

My wife is native but I used to call her an Urbanite Indian as she knew nothing when first moving here and it took years to wipe the city attitude off. :lol: Now she cleans fish faster and better than I do and fishes far more than I do too. There are various ways to clean fish but the differences are just in how get the meat off the bone. Some cut thru the ribs as they remove the fillet while others cut around the ribs while filleting. I prefer the 2nd method as that is how I was initially taught and so how I teach others. With Trout, I just gut them and remove the head and tail and leave the skin on. This method is good for both baking and smoking and only works on those fish with no scales. Pickerel are the best eating fish by far but are only pan fried and maybe battered. Bottom feeders like Cat fish and other fish with sucker mouths are best pickled or smoked.

Pickerel have only 1 set of ribs and so are easy to clean while Northern Pike have 2 sets and thus impossible to clean all of them out. Many folks don't want to eat them just because of the bones. There are 2 tricks for eating Northern... lay the fillet with the thin part towards you and break the meat away starting from the thin edge. This exposes the bones so you can pull them out easily. The second is to just grind up the fillets and make fish patties instead. The wife does this and adds spices too. Only Woosies cry about a few bones. Seems my daughter was the one who did that most while camping ;) . Boys at least bite their tongues more.. :lol:

Most fish are best pan fried while trout is best baked and Whitefish is best smoked. Smoked fish becomes "picking food". I bring this along camping and just put this on the table in the evening. Everyone picks at it bit by bit and it never lasts long. I always bring homemade jerky too and only admit to it's possession under threat of death. :shock: These things are also what makes camping separate from everyday life as cooking marshmellows once did as kids. Fried bread is another favourite. It's like bannock but deep fried in a pan instead. Seems such things always taste best in the outdoors. Since we dehydrate all that we can, it seems we always have what most of you would consider "prepper food" for camping. Therefore everything I make always has tons of color due to colorful bell peppers and spices galore.

BTW, fish sauce is expensive to buy but is easy to make.... Sour cream, a little green relish and a pinch of dill. Try it and you'll never buy another jar again.
0 x

jporter

Postby jporter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:04 am

drwkids wrote:
jporter wrote:We were forced to get a storage unit. The cost sucks but we were drowning in kids toys gear. My 30 year old camper will be stocked up soon and ready to rock. I hate our apartment. But its cheap

Before you got the camper and where prepping in the apartment how did you store everything / make it work with kids?

Stuff everywhere lol. And under everything. In the process of making rv type beds thay will be tall enough for buckets and tubs. Our couch has storage are under it fits over 10 flats of cans all tje clubbers are full.over flowing. Water jugs under the computer desk. We have stuff speed out. Wouldnt be able to sleep knowing all our eggs were in one basket. Survival caches help. My land lord hates me always had sheds on old tent trailer frames for tools andnocer flow. We used a dresser for mylar pouches and stuff for a while.
0 x

jporter

Postby jporter » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 am

Gota love predictive text. Having a survival mindset in an apartment sucks. We never thought of staying put more then a couple days. So having all our eggs inbone basket didnt make sense. Be creative. Pintrest is one of the best tools for ideas I've come accross
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:27 am

Upgraded my storage to mylar bags. Very excited. Alot of work but worth it.
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:57 pm

i'm looking forward to changing my bed from an ensemble to a 4 poster that is fairly high in the next month or so. I love when family n friends change their furniture n I get 1st shot at the originals. It is high enough for 50-60L rolling storage tubs to fit under easily.

this will give me good space for some food storage, and gear to be better sorted. I already have a number of the tubs in the cupboards.. both utilised and empty.
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I have been able to get all of my stuff for now under my bed in the 36gal rubber maid totes. I do like have the smaller ones just because they are more easily organized by type of thing inside them. Being a family we have alot of storage, and changing from those big garbage can sized ones to the smaller also helped reduce space because again getting rid of the extra space (empty space).
0 x

Return to “Ontario”