Canada

Re: bought a coleman 100 watt panel

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks for sharing! So I guess they're not even worth having as "just in case."
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 am

I would say no, not worth having just in case. If its kept as a closet queen, then maybe it will work for you if you pull it out to use briefly. Based on my experience I would say left out side to the elements expect it to begin deteriorating, these are not a cost effective,long term solution. While I did not buy the charge controller recommended for these, I have a friend that did, did against my advice. Now a few years later he is wondering why his batteries are performing so badly ( deficit charging) in his work van .
I love lots of coleman products, especially propane products, but I wouldn't advise anyone to spend coin on the solar products, In fact if you couldn't get good pricing on 12 volt panels, you would be further ahead to buy a 60 cell 250 watt panel, power point around 30 volts dc at 8.4 amps. You can find the price around 75 cents a watt so that will cost you 187 dollars as opposed to 220 for the coleman so you save 33 dollars but get a panel that would be rated for 8.4 x 17volts = 142.6 watts If used for 12 volt charging. So you pay less and get way more power!!
You also get the benefit of voltage to burn, no need to worry about voltage drop...you can have your panel hundreds of feet away from you batts if you wish, just size your wire for current capacity.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:17 pm

75 cents a watt, new or used? I'm seeing used on kijiji for 74-78 cents.

Not sure why he is charging tax, maybe a business?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/ ... nFlag=true
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:58 am

New, check PM.
0 x

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 pm

I use a panel. The best way to check how it's performing is to buy a cheap multimeter w/up to 10amp throughput measure capability.
The following table is worth noting as it will tell you the 12 volt battery charge condition and I use mine for both batt's I have. I.e.:

12 VOLT CHARGE CONDITION TABLE (Multimeter Reading):

VOLTS DC % Of Full Charge
12.6 FULL
12.5 90 Condition-GREEN
12.42 80 GREEN
12.32 70 GREEN
12.2 60 GREEN
12.06 50 GREEN
11.9 40 GREEN-Border
11.75 30 RED
11.58 20 RED
11.31 10 RED
10.50 0 DEAD
Surprising how quickly the capacity of the battery diminishes on smallest of lower readings! Anyway, use your multimeter on amp setting to ensure the rate of charge on a battery with less-than 12.42 volts dc is at minimum sending at least 2 amps (depending on Panel wattage), and on volts dc setting, sending a minimum of 13.8 volts through to the battery after 5-10 minutes. During 75% or more direct Sun on the panel.
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 am

Thanks for info.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 am

Bob Scott, if that chart is working for you, good. If anyone gets on the googler and looks up "12 volt battery capacity charts" Pages of them will come up...some from manufacturers, some from battery distributors, and some I suspect are purely made up. I found the chart you posted and it is widely used, and I am not saying its wrong there are too many variables not stated on charts that if known could make every chart bang on, such as temperature, age, stratification of battery acid, internal construction, under load or resting....the list goes on.

I use a different list that I have found to match my experience if the goal is the longest life of the battery....The biggest difference you will note is how it shows the faster drop off that you have observed at the low end, and its overall more conservative in measuring battery capacity.

State_of_Charge.jpg
State_of_Charge.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 16 times

But regardless of what chart is used I believe it equally important how you charge, and that starts with the controller you use, and if it doesn't have independent settings for Bulk, absorption, float, and equalize (3 out of 4 is ok) then its junk, I didn't include temperature compensation as I just don't find that required in 90% of cases and don't use it myself even though I have the probe, and I would want to make sure the controller can hit 15.3 or greater for equalizing and up to 15 for bulk (I go to 14.9 myself) and use 13.5 for my float.
So many cheap chargers don't hit these voltages and you wind up deficit charging your batteries, it wont be noticed at first....but as time goes on ( measured in years) it will....

Remember I am suggesting my chart for long battery life if I was going for shorter battery life but maybe greater power out per dollar spent, in other words flogging the batteries hard, and there are reasons you might want to do that, then your chart I think would be the one to use.
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”