• Advertisement

Major Telecom Service Outage in the East

Lee Enfield
Canada

Major Telecom Service Outage in the East

Postby Lee Enfield » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 pm

There is a major telecommunication outage in Atlantic Canada and beyond today.

Affected are cellular phones, landline phone, text, interac, and banking services. I went for gas and there is a "Cash Only" sign on every pump. As one of the few folks who favor cash, I had no problems but there seem to be a number of people rooting around for change to buy a few litres of gasoline. Sour looking bunch.

It will be interesting to find out the root cause. I know that there is a Geomagnetic Storm brewing on the sun so maybe that has something to do with it.
0 x
"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Major Telecom Service Outage in the East

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 am

Last edited by helicopilot on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 am

Interesting. I see most of my friends and practically all my colleagues paying everything ($1.60 Tims) with cards and they proudly admit they never carry cash anymore... Call me old fashion I suppose.

I'm also reading that 911 services and even NS EHS services were impacted. Again a good reason to be self-sufficient in matter of first aid skills and equipment, as well as some good fire prevention/fire fighting abilities.
1 x

Lee Enfield
Canada

Postby Lee Enfield » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:32 pm

helicopilot wrote:proudly admit they never carry cash anymore...

I notice that, too. Many people seem so proud that they "don't bother with cash anymore".

If the debit is down at Tim's my sister would have to borrow cash to buy a coffee.

Then there's:"I got rid of my land line and our family uses five cell phones". I always ask the same thing when I hear this, "If you don't have a landline and you call 911 emergency but can't speak, where do they go?"

Always the same blank look and, "I never thought of that."

The phones are back on now. The cause on the news was "The outage was caused when major fibre network links were cut during third-party construction in two separate locations."

Two locations at the same time...interesting.
0 x
"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:58 pm

I read the part of the cable cut a 2 locations too... I'm not one to believe in conspiracies or hiding truth, but this would be such an interesting coincidence!
1 x

Joe_O
Canada

Postby Joe_O » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:19 am

Interested article in the wake of the outage. Amateur Radio users...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.4236756
2 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I wonder how many people even know what ham is anymore?
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:22 pm

This seems like another area in which I'll need to get into. Oh, and reminds me I have to program the 2x Baofeng radios I've bought over a year ago!
0 x

Lee Enfield
Canada

Postby Lee Enfield » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Coincidentally enough, a couple of weeks I enrolled in an Amateur Radio course to start in the fall. I don't figure I'll be a master at it but I should be educated enough to keep track of what's going on in an emergency.

Coincidence two; the gent who signed me up for the course mentioned that one of the local club members showed him little red hand-held radio that cost $41 (or $61?). He had been impressed with it and thought it would make a good beginner radio. I wonder if it was the Baofeng mentioned above and shown in the picture in the article.
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 am

Cash is king and if you can, have a few hundred tucked away in wallet or purse at all times. Same for in go bag you have in car, office, cottage etc.
For gas, get past doorman or parking booth attendant in office tower, wave to taxi driver so you can get out of downtown chaos as things unfold, medicine , food etc etc
Don’t leave hom3 without it!
0 x

Return to “Nova Scotia”