Temporary Bug-out location (RV setting)

crashed

Re: Temporary Bug-out location (RV setting)

Post by crashed » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm

CryBaby wrote:Fair enough, but it still does not negate the fact I feel sorry for those just starting out.......
Any chance this means you are willing to make some room in one of those cozy little cabins? :mrgreen:
CryBaby wrote:Especially for those who put no forethought into what they are actually doing or purchasing.... Or the fact they haven't even the basic of basics covered. Worse yet, they accumulate stuff and YouTube knowledge and do not practice.......
Each of us needs to examine what his situ is, because they are all very different. You are 100% correct in putting forethought into what our personal situ's are and how we prepare for them. Taz's up in Edmonton is going to be very different from mine, yours, travelers, Dangs, Antsy, Moutianman, Rangers.....well we all get the point. Mine situ is that I travel a fair amount and at great distances. So if SHTF while I am in...O say Atlanta, Indianpolis, Chicago, Vancouver, Regina, Edmonton, Saskatoon or Denver then I need to have planned very different from someone who is only trying to get home from downtown Calgary or someone like yourself. You for example have an ample supply of fresh water out your back door and nice clean wells, whereas if I am trying to huff it from Winnipeg I need a way to be able to drink from questionable water sources or heck even puddles. If I dont have a way to drink clean water along my route it might mean not getting home, and I sure as heck can not carry that much "pre-treated" water on me.

I took to heart your previous comment about practice and headed out for 3 days with my pack and realized a few hard mistakes. My pack is still fairly new since I am new to this but it needs to be checked on a regular basis and if something is taken out it needs to be put back or replaced. Thank goodness it was only two nights and I could live without an extra pair of clothes in there, but the para-cord length that was snagged out made for some interesting times, and it was a darn good thing that I have been practising at starting fires with Flint and Steel versus a lighter as it was MIA. So guess what, I am doing a reload and heading back out in a bit when my wife and work allow. I think "knowledge" is a good thing, but without practice you are right it is just pointless. I know folks who have purchased many books on survivalism, gardening or other topics and say they are there in their homes as a just in case. I know folks that have a dozen + guns but they rarely shoot them, and again it is J-I-C.

I also find it humerous those who think they will simply be able to shoulder their pack and walk 30 miles a day for multiple days in order to get to their BOL just like that. I started walking and jogging last year and have now completed 4 half marathons (I know suprizing for those that I have met) and let me tell you even without a pack 13.1 miles is a long ways and even with months of training you are sore. So I do not understand how some folks think they will simply just get up and do it over and over for days. Also when did they stop to find shelter, food and water? The walkers at a Half are usually between 3 - 4 hours from what I have seen, so it just does not add up to me.
CryBaby wrote:They don't listen to anyone but still consider themselves ready. Drives me nuts.
Anyone who considers themselves completely ready is simply living in a delusional state. No one know what type of "S" it will be that hits the fan one day, so how could they be 100% ready? Those who think they have it ALL together and are 100% ready are those whose plan is to burry their head in the sand and try to "live" in an underground bunker type with no outside contact with others. I have said it before and will say it again...those folks might be alive a bit longer than others but it is not truely surviving or living.

CryBaby wrote:.....I'm still not anywhere close to where I want or need to be .....and I've done this for over 20 years......
That is one of the things that makes me like you Crier, and for the record I do not see your posts as something to be jealous of, but as something to aspire to...if I have enough time and $$$. You have 20 years of navigating this road that myself and others are just starting to figure out, help us to miss some of the potholes you hit so we can be there and maybe help others or who knows even yourself.

Part of my job is that I "mentor"/coach/train folks in my indusrty and I fully admit if I could chose someone to mentor me in regards to this type of stuff it would be someone like yourself.

CryBaby

Post by CryBaby » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am

Any chance this means you are willing to make some room in one of those cozy little cabins?
Here's another little gem I've been working on (broken solar panels) Atv or snow machine access only though. Lower elevation too.

gc_mountainman

Post by gc_mountainman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 am

Crybaby,

Nice looks like an original sheep herders cabin or possibly a trappers cabin.

Mountainman.

prom

Post by prom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 am

Not bad for somebody living with his parents in a low income Calgary Housing. This shows that there is hope for the rest of us.

Thank you Crybaby, you are truly an inspiration for everybody here

Grayman

Post by Grayman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:29 pm

:cry: sniff sniff... its... its .. beautiful!!! sniff :cry:

gc_mountainman

Post by gc_mountainman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:03 am

Howdy Folks,

The new server seems to have trashed a few posts, so I will try to re-write this one. LOL.

Someone on the Forum has mentioned that a nomadic survival style may be more successful than bugging in or bugging out to a BOL. Not sure, but if that seems logical to you, consider a vehicle such as the Mitsubishi Fuso Earthcruiser 4x4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvVYQkrTxbA

Interesting gypsy wagon for sure.

Mountainman.

BelowTheRadar

Post by BelowTheRadar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Holy carp Mountainman! I'd be willing to bet I have wandered around the Bergen Springs property as young child, my playground per say. Having looked at the website I believe my father owned that land a loooong time ago.

That said, they do get REAL winters there and I think in a full blown SHTF scenario keeping warm during the winter will be a near full time job even living 150+ mile south of Bergen with more frequent Chinook conditions. I'll pass on tougher winters thanks.

Nothing personal, just saying...
Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

gc_mountainman

Post by gc_mountainman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm

BTR,

None taken. :)

I would prefer easy winters, too; like Bora Bora in the South Pacific. The Rockies just happen to be a little closer, lol.

I am open to alternate options and ideas. Just trying to get everyone to post their thoughts, the solution is out there. Just waiting for it to be posted here.

Cheers,

MM.

BelowTheRadar

Post by BelowTheRadar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

A MLS description that is more to my liking...

"154 acres of ranchland with unobstructed views of the mountains. Tod and Cow creeks run year-round through the property and they have been fenced to preserve trout habitat. Moose, elk, deer, coyotes and eagles are abundant. Mixed fir/spruce forest covers the eastern hillside third of the property and pasture the rest. The original 1913 log homestead, barn and older outbuildings still sit on the property. Accommodations include a cabin built in 1996 with efficient wood stove. A bathhouse provides shower and biolet toilet. Natural gas, electricity, phone and gravity fed spring water in place."

This land is well withing the 'Chinook belt' but can receive some pretty substantial snow fall. Being near 'the end of the line' on the electrical grid, power outages are a given. Between 2 year round creeks and the gravity fed spring I'm betting ground water for a well won't be too far down. Make a deal with a water well driller to come in and drill 5 or 10 wells at a time should net a discount per ft of well drilled. One well shared by 2 homes would also save on costs. Sewage is another consideration. All of this costs money. I know subdivision isn't cheap either and population zoning may come into play.

OK, I'll just check my pockets and see if I have a spare $550K in them... Nope, a bit too rich for me to do it alone. At a bit over $3500 per acre (probably closer to $4500 per acre when allowing for common areas) with few exceptions some type of 'communal' (non Hutterite colony???) living arrangements would have to be made. This would lead to an elected 'community board' of some sort. (Refurbish the barn into a community center/town hall? The other buildings are in falling down condition.)

Having lived in a suburban condo complex before buying my first single family home I'm pretty sour to condo boards. I actually caught hell for using one of 3 empty visitor parking spots for less than 15 minutes. I was 'abusing visitor parking' to save about 125 ft of packing groceries (3 trips) between my private parking space and my front door then immediately moved my vehicle to underground parking. Lets just say I was glad to leave that condo and the 'overachieving, retired, busy body, wannabe security guard', condo board member. (yes, I really didn't like him)

While I can appreciate 'community standards' to avoid living next to a junkyard or downwind from a pig barn, there has to be some flexibility in the rules to allow for exceptions within reason. The key is to get cooler, reasonable heads to prevail. Common courtesy and simply asking yourself "Will my planned project/changes impact my neighbors?" would go a long way towards community harmony.

Where I live right now I will consult with my neighbors before making substantial changes well within my rights (tree removal for example). While good fences make for good neighbors, perverse sculptures towering over that fence do not. I have an agreement with a neighbor across the street and over 1 lot to have security cameras watching each others front yards to possibly capture images of prowling and/or break and enter. While in a near nonexistent crime area, it's better to be prepared for the worst. (go figure???)

Just some thoughts to ponder....
Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

Dangphool
Canada

Post by Dangphool » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:59 am

Strange...
I completely missed this entire thread until today.

It seems that if the world doesn't end this Christmas maybe there is still interest in people meeting for coffee to discuss exactly what they might want in a piece of property and then how we would go about getting it (co-op, etc).

A slow economic burn might make such a project difficult so hopefully the fiscal cliff is pushed off for a few more years...

Return to “Alberta”