test yourself

albertaborn
Canada
Location: I am multi provincial in my living, but Alberta will always be home

test yourself

Post by albertaborn »

Okay ... here a test for yourself .... Its Dec 1 st at 1 am in the morning, a storm is raging outside and the power just failed, most likely everything in your house that runs on electricity just quit working.
Right this moment you need to find info, so you check your phone for info, they say the storm has taken down your power grid, it could be days before you get power again.
So Thats it there is no more time for planning, theres no I could get this to do that. Right this moment, what can you do to keep your house warm, your kids from freezing, your water pipes from freezing and bursting in your walls, how do you feed your baby its pablum, the powers out at McD's too. What do you have on hand right now, what will you do right now, in the next 7 hrs till maybe a store opens and everybody else is standing in line for the same things you want. REMEMBER ... You have no electricity and will not probably for days.
Test yourself,walk through this step by step, have you got what you need have you got the means to deal with this scenario. You are the only one who can tell yourself if you passed this test ... The reality is that this kind of short term survival scenario is much more likely to happen than many other options especially here in Canada.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.
albertaborn
Canada

Re: test yourself

Post by albertaborn »

I can tell you I did pass, not this exact scenario, it was only 3 days down for the furnace system, but the water had froze to a trickle by the time I had temporary forced air to the crawl space, but I did pass, I did learn a couple things I should improve but I could have gone a week or 2 without blinking .... How did you do, my test was real this one is a what if.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.
OldTimeGardener

Post by OldTimeGardener »

We get tested often here, with outages.
That's when my land line phone tends to ring for those that are not prepared. :roll:

Heat wise:
I have a little buddy propane heater in the shed that houses my pressure tank and wood stove (heating and cooking) in here.
Lots of water stored so that's not a problem either, if the well pump goes down. (saving for a hand pump tho)

Pantry is full as I can get it right now. Need to build more shelves.
Or maybe another room. :lol:

ETA: pick of lighting sources, solar, candles, flashlights, oil lamps, etc...

So yeah I think I can safely say, a pass... *wheres the crossing fingers icon?*
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Sadly, I don't have a wood stove in the house (thanks to moving too often, I can't get my "perfect house"). I have a large kerosene heater with several gallons of kerosene. A large generator (with several gallons of fuel) and a few portable convection heaters. Heat, check.

I have several weeks worth of food in the house, cans, MREs and freeze dried. Food, check.

I have several gallons of water, from bottled to "utility water" in bulk storage for cleaning and all. Water, check.

I have means to get information from crank radios as well as means to charge phones and tablets. Comms, check.

I think I'd be ok. Some adjustment may be required (indoor camping in the family room anyone???) but I think we could have a good time.
albertaborn
Canada

Post by albertaborn »

Glad to see that some actually took this as a real idea.
I wanted to wake up shake up some people if possible. there are so many people on this site that are prepping for so many possible world ending scenarios that I happen to think we (many) have forgot to stop and look at the ordinary mundane crap that happens out here regularily. Seems to me that vey few are actually ready and able to pass these kind of tests. they just wave it off and continue putting grains away in sacks, hoarding gold and silver, stocking up on thousands of rounds of ammo, etc.
To me these day to day things are the reality that is more likely to hit us, freezing to death is a grim reality. Someone I know is right now bemoaning the fact that she has no power and her house is freezing up, she is ranting at the power company because they have failed her and her freezing children.
Who's fault is it that she is not prepared, why does she think it is someone elses responsibility to come rescue her. I get the damsel in distress thing, but she should really be asking herself who's the one actually responsible here, *** see mirror for answer***

If what I say or do seems hard and harsh ... good
maybe it will save 1 person or 1 home and thats a good enough result for me.
anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl »

Well we have heat covered, we have power to run the main necessary items with a generator and gas to do so for a at least a few days. Water is covered by multiple means - powering the well pump is still an issue which needs to be resolved for longer term. Depending on the time of year the freezers will be either be full of newly butchered meat which would need to be canned if I can't keep the freezers going for more than a few days. Everything needed to can using a heavy duty propane stove is at the ready but of course I prefer to preserve everything before it becomes necessary. Food is no problem. Multiple sources of cooking available.

At this point any other preps will be to make things more comfortable. We can do it but it will require a lot more work most of the day will be spent doing things that run on auto now. Can't say I would look forward to that :)
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/
cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 »

This actually happened to me last week. I was worried about the roof blowing off. I was even wearing my helmet wile I sat up till 5 am on watch.

The house was warm from the wood stove. No shortage of food...and the batteries from the solar system ment we didn't lose power. In fact, I played video games the entire night...after changing batteries in the flashlights
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.
justdoit

Post by justdoit »

This summer we lost power for 24 hours while it was hot.. Last winter lost power for more then 4 days.. I have a wood stove that i heat my house with in the winter.. was cool in the basement but the house was still in the high 20's For power i have two different gen sets, I have a 300 gallon cistern in the basement. plus i can fill that tank from a external water source with the tank in my truck bed. Food here.. always over two weeks work just sitting here. If needed i can bake cook and bbq and have for for months.. My wife doesn't panic when we loose power, she knows how i am. I always have extra fuel for the gen sets..
Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy »

Thanks for the reminder ABborn! Your timing is perfect for those of us in Alberta as the winter storm and blizzard warnings were all over the radio yesterday. I took your test and found that I needed more gas stored for the generator. So while my neighbours filled the Can Tire store buying up Christmas lights, I was buying a couple of 25l gerry cans and fuel stabilizer. I guess they have their winter preps all sorted out already ;) These threads are the real strength of the IPN; sobering reminders for what we know we should do but just haven't gotten round to.

Cheers,

Antsy
Needs must when the devil drives.
86bigred
Canada

Post by 86bigred »

had this happen about 10 years ago,snow storm freezing rain and no power for 3 1/2 days and minus 30 deg. wee did just fine. this was what got me into prepping , after the 3 days we were out of supplies. now we could hold out for alot longer now.

Return to “Alberta”