Your take on the world and what we should be most concerned

underprepared
Canada

Re: Your take on the world and what we should be most concer

Post by underprepared » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 pm

quietman wrote:I am a believer that any prepping is good. It doesn't matter why, just that you do.
Some people pay more attention to events and theories than others and that's okay too.
You're right. Being prepared for emergencies is good on any level. Limiting yourself with respect to the nature of the emergency you might encounter is bad. We're talking "Titanic" kind of bad. I'm sure they had extra champagne and caviar in storage just in case the first class passengers partied a bit more than expected on the voyage across the Atlantic.
They were prepared for what they believed could happen.
I want to be one of the five or six people that lived through the event, even though they weren't initially allowed in a lifeboat.
The parallels here are practically endless. I could go on forever.

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

underprepared wrote:
quietman wrote:I am a believer that any prepping is good. It doesn't matter why, just that you do.
Some people pay more attention to events and theories than others and that's okay too.
You're right. Being prepared for emergencies is good on any level. Limiting yourself with respect to the nature of the emergency you might encounter is bad. We're talking "Titanic" kind of bad. I'm sure they had extra champagne and caviar in storage just in case the first class passengers partied a bit more than expected on the voyage across the Atlantic.
They were prepared for what they believed could happen.
I want to be one of the five or six people that lived through the event, even though they weren't initially allowed in a lifeboat.
The parallels here are practically endless. I could go on forever.
To extend the Titanic metaphor and add a simile, The Titanic was a lot like the Maple Leafs; both looked really good until they hit the ice. :lol:

Understanding that there is no way for me to be prepared for every possible contingency, I choose to focus on the preps that I feel are likely or even inevitable. I can't worry too much about WWIII or a meteor hitting our little planet because I can't control the events, or predict the outcome. Perhaps that makes me "not stupid" instead of a "prepper"; I can live with that. I'm interested in being prepared... just not at the expense of living a life in the world as I'm worried it could be versus the world as it is.
Needs must when the devil drives.

Zana
Canada

Post by Zana » Wed May 13, 2015 8:42 am

I totally agree with making the nessesary preps and (other than adding to or rotating food supplies) just getting on with life. I've seen shows where people spend all their time, energy and resources on planning for whatever and little time living in the present.

ybrok

Post by ybrok » Sat May 30, 2015 10:54 am

Its later than you think:

A few websites to get you up to speed:

while on these sites check out some of their links as well

keep on keepin on

http://www.hagmanandhagmann.com

http://www.stevequayl.com

http://www.canadafreepres.com

http://www.logosapologia.org/

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:31 am

ybrok wrote:Its later than you think:

A few websites to get you up to speed:

while on these sites check out some of their links as well

keep on keepin on

http://www.hagmanandhagmann.com

http://www.stevequayl.com

http://www.canadafreepres.com

http://www.logosapologia.org/

Spam!

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 am

One of the links is bad...
Another just doesn't seem to connect...
A third one has subject matter that belongs in the fringe...
I didn't bother with the last one.

TechCowgirl

Post by TechCowgirl » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:19 am

Hey all. For my family, we're pretty concerned about the economy, especially after my husband being out of work 5 months last year due to lay off, and unable to find work a long time. Wow does the income loss bite! We've been watching events globally spiral downwards, and have ramped up our prepping for the past few years. Those links above - i've listened to the hagmann and hagmann show, and heard some shows with steve quayle. They are far too religious for my taste, and they don't focus on what you should do everyday to prepare. Anyway, more later since i'm on a library pc!
---TechCowgirl
Owner at TechCowboys Farm 2.0
Edmonton area, AB

sarcopenia

Post by sarcopenia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:09 am

Like a lobster being boiled slowly that doesn't see the danger ... I'm most concerned about a gradual but relentless erosion of personal rights such that conscience rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion are completely compromised.

We are approaching the point where the average secular humanist hates faith groups so much that he or she implies that parents who raise their children according to the Bible are "abusing" them, and causing them to become intolerant, hateful, and backward.

One famous apologist, Peter Kreeft, stated: “Be egalitarian regarding persons. Be elitist regarding ideas.”

http://www.str.org/articles/when-tolera ... XOKDmfJC00

The most obvious application is toward "absolute vs. relative truth" which then branches into "absolute vs. moral relativism."

If the limousine liberals truly believed all cultures were equal and desirable, they'd be living in mud huts or with the desert bedouins instead of sipping $4 soya lattes in air conditioned cafes...

The prepping application is to keep one's cards close to one's chest while gradually establishing economic freedom and escape plans. Unfortunately, one must draw a line of "Flee or Fight" that is personally acceptable. To what degree do we speak out in public against these tyrannical encroachments, at the risk of career, reputation, or potentially even public lynching (maybe not not, but in a few years). OTOH, I imagine saying certain things at a Pride parade in downtown Toronto might be tantamount to a death wish (just an example where there are hundreds of thousands of passionate / fanatic like-minded people in a state of relative emotional fervor who might be prone to a violent reaction if provoked).

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:00 pm

sarcopenia wrote:Like a lobster being boiled slowly that doesn't see the danger ... I'm most concerned about a gradual but relentless erosion of personal rights such that conscience rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion are completely compromised.

We are approaching the point where the average secular humanist hates faith groups so much that he or she implies that parents who raise their children according to the Bible are "abusing" them, and causing them to become intolerant, hateful, and backward.

One famous apologist, Peter Kreeft, stated: “Be egalitarian regarding persons. Be elitist regarding ideas.”

http://www.str.org/articles/when-tolera ... XOKDmfJC00

The most obvious application is toward "absolute vs. relative truth" which then branches into "absolute vs. moral relativism."

If the limousine liberals truly believed all cultures were equal and desirable, they'd be living in mud huts or with the desert bedouins instead of sipping $4 soya lattes in air conditioned cafes...

The prepping application is to keep one's cards close to one's chest while gradually establishing economic freedom and escape plans. Unfortunately, one must draw a line of "Flee or Fight" that is personally acceptable. To what degree do we speak out in public against these tyrannical encroachments, at the risk of career, reputation, or potentially even public lynching (maybe not not, but in a few years). OTOH, I imagine saying certain things at a Pride parade in downtown Toronto might be tantamount to a death wish (just an example where there are hundreds of thousands of passionate / fanatic like-minded people in a state of relative emotional fervor who might be prone to a violent reaction if provoked).
If your moral world view demands that its adherents poke a stick at a group of "hundreds of thousands of passionate / fanatic like-minded people in a state of relative emotional fervor who might be prone to a violent reaction if provoked.", then I can't help but think that natural selection is your enemy more than polemic arguments about truth and morality. I can't even imagine how one would prepare for that. I don't prep for what I will do should I stick my head into the jaws of a polar bear... Good luck with it though. And don't beat your spouse or children with a rod; even if its diameter is less than that of your thumb.

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 am

BTW,

You are only intolerant, hateful, and backward if you are.

;)

Return to “Alberta”