Your take on the world and what we should be most concerned

peppercorn

Re: Your take on the world and what we should be most concer

Post by peppercorn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:43 am

sarcopenia wrote: OTOH, I imagine saying certain things at a Pride parade in downtown Toronto might be tantamount to a death wish (just an example where there are hundreds of thousands of passionate / fanatic like-minded people in a state of relative emotional fervor who might be prone to a violent reaction if provoked).
Please do just that..and take your book with you so you may better quote to the passing parade, I don't believe you would have any physical harm done to you though I suspect the ridicule you would be subjected to may make you wish for that instead

I have seen those parades on tv and besides ridicule I suspect the only physical thing to happen to you would be that you get a good soaking as it does look like they are all well armed with supper soakers :P The danger is only in your imagination

I have a different example for your consideration of passionate fanatic like minded people in a state of emotional fevor.... the inquisition...Proven, documented, faith based murder and torture, one following the other, all for the faith crime of saying something, or falling to say something... :D
I think history has proven and done so with clarity that death from speech is a faith based cause and effect, though you may have data of torture and murder from speech at the type of parades you use as your example....if so I look forward to being corrected, I am always willing to learn and be corrected by facts..

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

sarcopenia

Post by sarcopenia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:33 am

I apologize if I have offended anyone.

I am more referring to the phenomenon of "tolerance" meaning "You can say whatever you want, as long as you agree with the mainstream."

I am sorry if you think modern Christians are equivalent to Inquisitors. If people actually think that, I do not know whether they would be open to reasonable debate. On some level, no group is completely innocent of historic crimes if you look hard enough. If we are talking about actually numbers, the secular humanist and communist dictators of the last 100 - 150 years have kiled a lot more than most other groups that are more commonly identified as "religious" in the vernacular. To be fair, what happened in Nanjing, Rwanda, Cambodia, Bosnia and other places ... was made "more efficient" by modern arms, so raw numbers might not be the best metric.

In a similar vein, while I acknowledge that atrocities may have been commited by The White Man against Native North Americans, as a Caucasian, I do not personally feel responsible. Nor do I feel that my race or culture should now stand in perpetual judgement for that.

In the here and now, it is reasonable for me to say that "my" culture (i.e. North American / the western world) is "superior" to certain others. At least in the sense that people are fed and educated, and can pursue happiness.

I do have first hand experience with being persecuted as the "new minority," but I do not think it would be of interest here, and would rightly be discarded as anecdotal.

Natural Selection, BTW is a myth. Oh, it's true in the sense that grey moths might have an adaptive advantage in regions of industrial pollution. But if the situation persisted, that population would actually likely lose the other alleles that allow the full natural phenotypic variation. In other words, there are micro adaptations that are "selective" in some narrow sense (much like sickle cell anemia heterozygote superiority in malarial zones), but these are information LOSING changes. The "particles to people" tripe that is still taught in schools is implausible to anyone with even a basic science background. Obviously, many people who are quite educated still say they believe in (Neo)-Darwinism. I believe a few of them may be able to twist facts enough to convince themselves, but many of them are completely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

An interesting link, if you are interested:

http://www.discovery.org/a/24041

Respectfully submitted.

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:44 pm

sarcopenia wrote:I apologize if I have offended anyone.

I am more referring to the phenomenon of "tolerance" meaning "You can say whatever you want, as long as you agree with the mainstream."

I am sorry if you think modern Christians are equivalent to Inquisitors. If people actually think that, I do not know whether they would be open to reasonable debate. On some level, no group is completely innocent of historic crimes if you look hard enough. If we are talking about actually numbers, the secular humanist and communist dictators of the last 100 - 150 years have kiled a lot more than most other groups that are more commonly identified as "religious" in the vernacular. To be fair, what happened in Nanjing, Rwanda, Cambodia, Bosnia and other places ... was made "more efficient" by modern arms, so raw numbers might not be the best metric.

In a similar vein, while I acknowledge that atrocities may have been commited by The White Man against Native North Americans, as a Caucasian, I do not personally feel responsible. Nor do I feel that my race or culture should now stand in perpetual judgement for that.

In the here and now, it is reasonable for me to say that "my" culture (i.e. North American / the western world) is "superior" to certain others. At least in the sense that people are fed and educated, and can pursue happiness.

I do have first hand experience with being persecuted as the "new minority," but I do not think it would be of interest here, and would rightly be discarded as anecdotal.

Natural Selection, BTW is a myth. Oh, it's true in the sense that grey moths might have an adaptive advantage in regions of industrial pollution. But if the situation persisted, that population would actually likely lose the other alleles that allow the full natural phenotypic variation. In other words, there are micro adaptations that are "selective" in some narrow sense (much like sickle cell anemia heterozygote superiority in malarial zones), but these are information LOSING changes. The "particles to people" tripe that is still taught in schools is implausible to anyone with even a basic science background. Obviously, many people who are quite educated still say they believe in (Neo)-Darwinism. I believe a few of them may be able to twist facts enough to convince themselves, but many of them are completely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

An interesting link, if you are interested:

http://www.discovery.org/a/24041

Respectfully submitted.
I think I understand your fear that your, "culture (i.e. North American / the western world) which is "superior" to certain others" might think that what you teach your kids is "intolerant, hateful, and backward". While I would be happy to debate secularism vs. non-secular belief, and creationism vs. evolution through the means of natural selection with you, this is not the forum for it. I checked your links and found them wanting.

What I'm interested in here, and what applies to this topic, is your belief that your "culture (i.e. North American / the western world) is "superior" to certain others". I think it could be successfully argued that "we" live as well and free as we do at the expense of "certain others". One might argue that our culture happened to be first to the buffet table; that we scooped the best offerings; and that the laggards (who we kept back with force) have been left with table scraps. From this sorry state, modern day white males enjoy all of the "weapons of privilege" that the world has on offer. It is for that reason that it is inexcusable to declare that, "while I acknowledge that atrocities may have been committed by The White Man against Native North Americans, as a Caucasian, I do not personally feel responsible." Because you still enjoy the benefits of your ancestors crimes against the "Godless Heathens", you share in the responsibility for their sorry state today. "May have"? Really??? The same argument applies to your theistic world view.

So how is this relevant to the topic at hand? Western society is rightfully concerned that the quality of life that it has enjoyed for the last several hundred years is in jeopardy. As the world's cultures strive for the same quality of life, the un-sustainability of our "superior" culture becomes evident. We should be concerned! We have gotten fat on the sweat and property of others and are coming to realize that the music will not go on forever. Our world is not infinite, yet our culture strives to be so. It can, and will, expend the worlds resources until the population collapses. I think that is something to be concerned about.
Needs must when the devil drives.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:24 pm

sarcopenia wrote:I apologize if I have offended anyone.
Not me you haven't, I don't cry that I am offended...don't imply I am, How could I be, you have given yourself to much imagined power.. Should I get offended you will know it...I will throw my seer stones at you :)

Please do continue, I would not want it said that I am persecuting you, or challenging your claims of moral superiority. Revel in your piety and let it serve as a example to us all...as you have now denied Darwinism, and natural selection I suspect this will only get more amusing....sadly.
My thoughts are with penn on this one..

Respectfully submitted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGev6OZ3w

I think I will now go and open the good book up so I may refresh myself in how to treat my slaves.

For those without a book handy you can play along https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFmC6BD1B4
Humorusly submitted
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Like Peppercorn, I haven't been offended. Like Peppercorn, I too can use the You Tube machine.

Here is something for those of you out there who doubt the science behind Evolution and Natural Selection. This video speaks directly to the Christian apologists.

Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZwX1yFj4rs

sarcopenia

Post by sarcopenia » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:31 am

I went to the links listed. I do not disagree with the assessment that there are aspects in the Bible that can be troubling or seem contradictory if taken at face value. And I understand that the explanation of "those were different times ... the historic context needs to be taken into account" might seem unsatisfactory. I could attempt to explain some (not all, or even most - I am still a seeker, and ignorant in many ways) of these for the benefit of any who are watching / reading. But I also realize that some of the recent posts, and linked content reflects a deeply entrenched militant type of atheism, whose adherents view people of faith as mere fools.

I had hoped there might have been a more productive conversation, but I can see this will not happen, at least not here and not now. Part of this is no doubt due to the anonymous nature of the Internet. At least I hope people would try to be more respectful if we were talking face to face, but I could be wrong about that.

Regardless, this is the last post I will make on this topic. If people feel the need to get the last word, discount me as an irrational quack, or paint me as an intolerant hater, that is their prerogative. For what it's worth, I'm in an interracial marriage (I hate to even use that term, because I don't even care about race issues except for the blatant reverse discrimination that I now witness on a daily basis, but am mentioning this for argument's sake), and I donate more $$$ to charity each year than the average Canadian's gross income. And I spend much of time working with the most marginalized of populations in my community. Not that this makes me right about anything, or some kind of Mother Teresa. But hopefully it gives at least some idea as to my humanity.

Again, if my confidence was perceived as arrogance, I apologize.

For the foreseeable future, I will hold my peace on this board.

I wish you all well.

cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Ah, Hell and Spam-Nation. Sorry that I am late to this coliseum. I want to visit but not live here.

Let me start by saying, this is not about sarcopenia. I applaud his good works. Been there. Done that. Im just sort of using him to confront a certain type of prepper That is all too common.

I'd like to practice my Religious Freedom and Thank the Lord and the Lady that my mother shat me out past her cervix, by random chance, in the worlds least populated but second largest nation, where 90- 95% of the aboriginal populous was wiped out and couldn't put up a good fight...though they still did a pretty good friggin job. Their pain is not missed here.

The original question was about threats to Canada that preppers should pay attention to. There is a BIG!!!!!! one that you will all experience and no one is talking about. The demographic bubble....bursting about...NOW!!!. But I will get back to that later.

As an Agnostic Neo Pagan....Cut the Christian some slack. There is no Magna Charta, Checks on the King through parliament, Mass literacy via the printing press, , The Reformation leading to the Renaissance and the Age of Reason, leading to Modern Science...without Christianity. Thank a Christian. We are the EVOLUTION of Christianity. By the way, Muslims beat us to it by several hundred years but slid back down by doing the exact same...something or other.
Mrs.C5, Goddess bless my favorite hard working, tolerant mega biatch, often goes off on Christians because of the damage to people they do. She will attest that I often tell her to shut the puck up because she doesn't know what she is talking about. I actually do. I've had a weird life.

To the random Christian poster...REPENT! You are not Persecuted. Really. You are not in any way, shape or form. You just want to be. Its helps reinforce the way your beliefs are supposed to be according to The book and why the world sucks and you are not getting your way of complete Domination of sinners. Oy-vey . Some con man is playing you through your persecution complex. I will teach you how to be persecuted in biblical form. I am more than comfortable to tell you to REPENT....IN THE NAME OF JESUS. Real Christians have No Rights. You give those up for the salvation from your sins. You signed up for allegiance to the Kingdome of heaven and Not the world, your property, your family or even your life. Its part of the Salvation package. Why is no one teaching you that patriotism is Idolatry. You cant serve two masters.

You are spoiled here in Canada. I read a fantastic quote recently...that is also going to piss off a few other douche bags that need to repent.

"My biggest setback was being born white, male, middle class, and a citizen of the United States. Those identities come with lots of unearned privilege, which tends to make people stupid. When one is born with unearned privilege there’s an incentive to stay stupid about the nature of the system that gives us those advantages. So, I had to overcome the instinct to embrace stupidity. As an adult, it took me a decade to figure that out; I’m a slow learner.
If resilience (prepping) is the ability to adapt to changing conditions, we should not overlook the importance of intellectual resilience, the ability to avoid getting locked into perspectives that keep us from reassessing our own ideas."

Robert Jensen

I mentioned that I will teach you how to experience true persecution for your faith. Go to a major sports event (even better if it has coliseum attached to its name). When they are standing and singing the nation song, take one moments to look at what ever flag they are worshiping and briefly picture it as an idol to Moloch or Mamon. I'm guessing if you are really of the "I wont bow to your idols" type, your knees begin to tremble, your conscience will war against self protection and your ass will eventually be back in the seat. If not, burning hell follows, at least for your conscience. The moment you sit down while all the other sheeple are worshiping....The lord is going to teach you about persecution. Your actual Christianity will begin. I cant guarantee your personal safety. Picking up your cross and all that jazz. Nothing says, I love Jesus, like reciving a good solid punch in the face, some permanent cognitive brain damage and reconstructive surgery while turning the other cheek.

It will be good for you. Chicks dig scars.

Oh yah. Canada and the demographic bubble. Back to that next round. Ding Ding. Here is some homework in the mean time. http://www.peakprosperity.com/video/858 ... mographics

Goddess willing, I might even talk about Liberty. :lol:
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:48 pm

cernunnos5 wrote: As an Agnostic Neo Pagan....Cut the Christian some slack.
but..but....he was flaging...inviting engagement, he had steped up to the plate, was eager to swing...if he wasn't thrown a ball soon I thought he might be disappointed.....I even used those smilie things :? ....I will throw underhand next time

Ok, I am swipping the decocker, engageing the safety, and dropping the mag....oh wait there is still a round in the chamber BANG :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA55jGyq2C8

Hammer blows start at 5:30

Antsy
Netherlands

Post by Antsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 am

peppercorn wrote:
cernunnos5 wrote: As an Agnostic Neo Pagan....Cut the Christian some slack.
but..but....he was flaging...inviting engagement, he had steped up to the plate, was eager to swing...if he wasn't thrown a ball soon I thought he might be disappointed.....I even used those smilie things :? ....I will throw underhand next time

Ok, I am swipping the decocker, engageing the safety, and dropping the mag....oh wait there is still a round in the chamber BANG :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA55jGyq2C8

Hammer blows start at 5:30
LMFAO

I tried that as well. Couldn't make it work... Hair pin trigger.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:14 am

Misstake...... that was not the right you tube vid to end with, I cant go back and change it as Antsy has included it in his post so I submit it here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7MtjJFelAE

A more appropriate last word on this divergent tact from the title

Return to “Alberta”