what is a good job for a prepper?

ndn

what is a good job for a prepper?

Post by ndn »

what would be a good job for a prepper?As in im want to be a prepper what will be a good job or carrier to learn more .would it be at a big franchise like walmart to get the employee discount or at a sporting goods store? what would provide the the best ?ether PMME or respond to this post .

Thank you NDN

UPDATE i was thinking as in a low wadge job ?

update update what i was thinking was low wadge job to pay the bill as i learn from net and youtube and going out to try and do what ive learend

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE :im asking this because id like to learn skills ,connections and educated ,its not about $$$ ,a lot of ppl are thinking that when the *censored* I'm a potty mouth hits the fan were still going to have electricity ,highways interstate readily available medication .truck drivers the diesel will run out ,for the architect the nails will no longer be available .This was to ask where wold be a good place to learn more knowledge and to have the time to try what ive learned ,the ppl who will run the world after a post apocalyptic world will not be Wall st. it will be the ppl who know how to survive ! we wont be building houses we will be building huts ,huts that any one who knows what a hammer is can make .
Last edited by ndn on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thank you

NDN
helicopilot
Canada

Re: what is a good job for a prepper?

Post by helicopilot »

Hi NDN,

This is an interesting question. I think that ideally, your prepper job should be able to pay you more than minimum wage. Working at either Walmart or sporting stores can get you benefits like 10% discounts, but this benefit will be hindered by the buying power you would have as a minimum wage earner. What I mean is that if you make $18,000 / yr working at these stores, the 10% off for prepping is not worth it if you could make $30,000 elsewhere.

If you are serious about prepping, I think that being self employed, with a solid trade qualification (carpenter, welder, etc) would be ideal. You get to work your own schedule, chose your salary and in a serious post SHTF event, you would have a very good barterable expertise.
Blackknight88

Post by Blackknight88 »

The more you make, the better and faster you can prep.
I have an hrly job and one paycheck goes to bills and the other towards preps and entertainment for the family.
Funny you should bring this topic up as I was just discussing with a co-worker yesterday about switching gears as far as my job is concerned.
You see I am not really gaining as much ground prepping as I would like to be and my job is the problem. I'm further ahead with my preps than I was a couple of years ago but it has been painfully slow. I'm lucky there was still time to gather things that slowly.

I used to be self employed for many years and made more money, had a more flex schedule. I need to get back to that, it's part of my prepping plan. lol

I agree with helicopilot, self employment is the way to go. If the SHTF you can hopefully be close to your prepping set up and if you make good money then you need not worry about the discount so much.
I hope you can figure things out. I don't know how old you are or where you reside but I have a couple of ideas you could mull over based on what I have done in the past to be self employed.

The first one being the most lucrative...If you would like further info on start up of any of these PM me.

Restoration: Fire, Flood, Mold Remediation
Crawlspace Cleanups (can pay very well)
Window Cleaning and general house maintenance
Home Inspector
Asbestos Abatement
Drain Cleaning Pipe Camera Inspection and Perimeter Drain replacement
Landscaping
Boat Hull Restoration
The prudent see danger and take refuge but the simple keep going and suffer for it...
RT_survive
Canada

Post by RT_survive »

I'm in an engineering/design/manufacturing field, and am self-employed. I get additional cash flow from a small start-up that I run out of my spare bedroom - designing and stitching a certain tactical accessory for multitools. The income I receive from that is what I use for all my prepping needs. I'd rather not share the brand name right now, as I'd like to remain anonymous a bit longer. ;)

Working from home and being self-employed means that I am never far from my bug-in location, and having the tools to create just about anything right at home... it's ideal for me right now.

Miscellaneous perk - being able to successfully house train the most stubborn puppies in the world, because I'm with them 24/7! In a few months, when they're a bit older, I'll have new running/hiking/camping partners.
OutAndAbout
Canada

Post by OutAndAbout »

I graduated as a computer programmer in 1981 so I do a fair bit of that and website development, both of which I can do at home.

I work most evenings cleaning floors at the local Subway. It's minimum wage, but at the end of the night I can take home the leftover soup, meatballs, bread, meats, and whatever else. It cuts my grocery bill down to about 50 bucks a month.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
ndn

Post by ndn »

OutAndAbout wrote:I graduated as a computer programmer in 1981 so I do a fair bit of that and website development, both of which I can do at home.

I work most evenings cleaning floors at the local Subway. It's minimum wage, but at the end of the night I can take home the leftover soup, meatballs, bread, meats, and whatever else. It cuts my grocery bill down to about 50 bucks a month.
thats awesome $50 bill ,more $$$$ for prepping
Thank you

NDN
MrsPrepwPets

Post by MrsPrepwPets »

I'm with Out&About.
Try to get something in either a grocery hub (produce especially, and produce even more especially if you have livestock it can feed) or closing shifts on food service, unless you already have some marketable skills.
Or, work them in addition to getting yourself set up for a start-up or developing skills or education for a lucrative position.

In the long-run short-term, they can save money, especially if you're only suited to entry-level positions and lack funding for your own business. I know a guy who works in as a busboy and dish washer, and runs multiple bins when scraping, then he gets to split or take home the buffet spread and rolls. You're not supposed to feed livestock meat products anymore, but his laying hens don't seem to mind and there's enough waste he hasn't bought feed for them in years, as well as making significant reductions in his own bill. It works for him because he's also in walking distance of his job and has a partial retirement coming in.

You might also look into journeyman programs for skilled positions or lost-art occupations (carpentry, drafting, blacksmith, farrier, plumbing).

Sanitation can be huge, with sewage and plumbers making a mint right after the guys who are in your house for ten minutes to change a small bulb and wait for the $80-150 bill to print.
Trash pickup is well over minimum wage here, as is recycling. Not glamorous, not high-life living, but a pretty decent wage and better than a store clerk for the ones willing to do it.

Remember to account for travel costs in any position you take.
jefft78

Post by jefft78 »

you guys are funny, talking about working in a grocery store so you can get the 10% discount. LOL
Get a real job, Get a trade so you have some real skills when your stuck and you need to build a shelter and actually survive. Or you can barter your skills to others for trade. Knowing how to use basic tools is an absolute must. I ve met people who have never used a hammer, its friggin sad.
Tinfoilhats

Post by Tinfoilhats »

jefft78 wrote:you guys are funny, talking about working in a grocery store so you can get the 10% discount. LOL
Get a real job, Get a trade so you have some real skills when your stuck and you need to build a shelter and actually survive. Or you can barter your skills to others for trade. Knowing how to use basic tools is an absolute must. I ve met people who have never used a hammer, its friggin sad.

:lol: I agree. Learn to use those things attached to your arms with fingers on them. Although, grocery store experience could be valuable for stocking shelves in the pantry. :D
Preppersaurus
Canada

Post by Preppersaurus »

jefft78 wrote:you guys are funny, talking about working in a grocery store so you can get the 10% discount. LOL
jeff78, you hit it on the head (with a hammer no less). Anyone can cut grass, flip burgers, and stock shelves. If they can't, it takes little training to do it. Now if you have a trade? Hell, if you even have a serious hobby where the use of tools is required, you are half way to being useful in a SHTF situation. Not everyone can use hand tools and still make things without power.
You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.

Return to “British Columbia”