what is a good job for a prepper?

OutAndAbout
Canada

Re: what is a good job for a prepper?

Post by OutAndAbout »

Skills? Well, I'm certified in electronics and did electronic repairs earlier in my life. Also trained in broadcasting for two years as well. Then I attended college and graduated as a computer programmer.

Then I did something incredibly stupid. I decided to do something honorable in the community and ended up working in the ambulance service, and that was back when our on-call time was still entirely volunteer. I did that for 20 years.

It's great that you guys can use a hammer and get a "real job". As for me, well, I live in pain every day of my life now from the years I spent extricating people from car accidents, or falls, or other such things. Just like some of the firemen, and nurses I know who suffer now from their years of dedication. Some of us can no longer physically perform the rigors of what you call a "real job" for the time required. Some of us are grateful for the opportunity to stock shelves, or mop floors, or other such menial tasks.

Sorry if I'm not good enough for you.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Tinfoilhats

Post by Tinfoilhats »

You worked in the ambulance service...I think your skill set trumps most anyone's on here.
ndn

Post by ndn »

jefft78 wrote:you guys are funny, talking about working in a grocery store so you can get the 10% discount. LOL
Get a real job, Get a trade so you have some real skills when your stuck and you need to build a shelter and actually survive. Or you can barter your skills to others for trade. Knowing how to use basic tools is an absolute must. I ve met people who have never used a hammer, its friggin sad.
i know how to use a hammer ,i have a good job and i do have a trade ,but as a part of my job is that it takes all of my time the pay is no the best and way to much time consuming ,thats why i want to go to a low wadge job to have more time to learn to prep or try out the ways to cook camper even build .any one can buy stuff but its skill to live not $$$$$$$$$$$ ,
my goal is to pay the bills and be on line learning more and trying what ive learned .
Thank you

NDN
Preppersaurus
Canada

Post by Preppersaurus »

I've always found jobs to be time consuming too.
You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.
ndn

Post by ndn »

Preppersaurus wrote:I've always found jobs to be time consuming too.
thats why i wana try some thing new Minnaminnie wage job you don't have much money but you have more free time
Thank you

NDN
OutAndAbout
Canada

Post by OutAndAbout »

Don't necessarily think that a minimum wage job will give you the free time you're expecting. I can think of at least one single mother who works three minimum wage jobs to make a decent living.

You should be looking for something that can offer a balance between free time and provides a suitable wage. Getting a first aid certificate can open up a lot of job opportunities, pays well, and can take you to some really great places. When I started with the ambulance service in 1987, I did a lot of flights in a single engine Beaver (float plane) to isolated communities and covered a range from Prince George in the south, to Kitimat in the north, Takla Landing in the east, and Princess Royal Island on the west coast. Can't say enough about how much I loved those flights.

More recently, I get fifty bucks an hour setting up and updating web sites. I work any time of day/night I wish and can do it at home or at a coffee shop or at the beach on a hot day if I chose. That offsets the fact that I do free tech work for volunteer fire departments, search and rescue, women's shelters, and any other group that helps others on a shoestring budget. In the end, I'm actually getting less than minimum wage after the work I do. The bonus is that I'm often invited to participate in training or weekend courses such as the PEP disaster management course I took several years ago.

The minimum wage job I have at nights has the perk that I can bring home the food that wasn't used during the day so I need less money for day to day living and can continue helping groups in the community.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

I'm trying to do some basic math to try to understand the fantasy behind minimum wage jobs with 'perks' as opposed to getting a profession/trade without perks.

Using some quick reference numbers based on NOCs here:

Plumber makes an average of $27/hr across Canada;
Mechanic makes an average of $21/hr across Canada;
EMT makes an average of $24/hr across Canada;
Registered Nurse makes an average of $35/hr across Canada...

These are all trades that are quite suitable as a prepper, used for quick argument sake.

So why would you think that working at $10/hr - but get maybe $20 worth of Subway veggies and buns left overs - is a great deal?

8 hour shift at $10 = $80 + say $20 of free stuff = ~ $100 / day minus say $25 for taxes, CPP and work expenses (car gas for example) = ~ $75 take home.
8 hour shift as an EMT = $192 / day minus taxes, expenses etc (say $70) = ~ $122 take home. Everyday, I don't get to have free subway, but I get $47 to spend on any prepping stuff (or any stuff) I want as opposed to working minimum wage.

If you want to work minimum wage job hey, go right ahead, especially if it makes you happy. But please don't tell me this is a good deal of a job for a prepper.
OutAndAbout
Canada

Post by OutAndAbout »

There's no fantasy involved. I have 3 chronic back injuries from the time I worked ambulance that leaves me in various stages of pain on a daily basis. I don't want to medicate to get through the day so I do jobs that I can tolerate without inflicting further pain on myself. I'm not alone in this as I know a couple veterans who do the same.

EMT's and Registered Nurses do a lot of patient lifting which is something I can no longer physically do without causing further injury to myself. You'd probably be surprised to learn how many of them use codeine based pain relievers to keep them going through the job. Mechanics and plumbers do a lot of bending and crawling underneath things, which is something I can do for short periods of time only.

Not everyone who does prepping is young and in perfect health but I get the message and won't post anything to the forum again.

Incidentally, I never suggested working at Subway as a job for a prepper, I merely commented that it was something I did. And, as I stated previously, I give away most of my time to community groups such as SAR and volunteer fire departments so I really have no idea who you think you are to judge.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

OutAndAbout,

I hear you on back pains, I was an EMT too and the people we put on those stretchers are not getting lighter. For more backpain fun, I became a helicopter pilot after, another job known for causing lower back pain. We could start another thread in "health" over back pains and non-medication coping strategies, but this isn't the point here.

My comments were not directed at you nor were they meant to be disrespectful or judgemental; just part of a healthy forum discussion, so please, continue to contribute your experiences to this forum.

My argument was is tied to the OP's comment that perhaps working at Walmart was a good prepper job since you get employee discounts. This was followed by other posters suggesting other minimum wage jobs with side benefits as being good opportunities. I don't belittle people working minimum wage jobs, but if someone poses the question "what is a good job for a prepper?", I can't say in good faith I believe that store clerk is ideal in my opinion. Again, this is an opinion and I don't pretend to be a career counsellor in prepper career.

The jobs I put in my previous post were just examples quickly pulled from a Canadian job stats website and I acknowledge that these jobs can be a bit physically demanding. That said, standing at a till at walmart moving goods right to left over a scanner can cause repetitive-stress-injuries and even sitting at a desk typing can cause carpal tunnel syndrome, obesity, etc etc etc. I don't think there is a perfect job out there, but from a prepper minded's perspective, I would say that there should be some characteristics for the "ideal job" :

- useful skill that can be used in an emergency or after a life changing event (medical, security, repair, reconstruction...),
- best hourly wage possible that doesn't require overtime,
- no travel outside of own's geographical location.
prep2live

Post by prep2live »

safety coordinator for oilfield company fits for me near perfectly

Return to “British Columbia”