Bushcraft Lunch?

Screedcrete

Re: Bushcraft Lunch?

Post by Screedcrete »

Sorry for being so late on the reply. Was thinking the long weekend but the unfortunate events that happened a few weeks ago I will be in your neck of the woods for a charity fundraiser. I have connections to the young girl killed by the train there and I will have other commitments for that time. I will most likely be gunning for Nov 23rd on the bushcraft lunch and if the timing works for anyone I don't mind traveling at all. I like getting into different situations with topography and such while having different material to work with. Im pretty darn easy that way.

Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Well I'm on Vancouver Island Nov.3 - 6 on a sales trip.
Start Radio course Nov.7 & 8. and Nov. 14 & 15.
I will most likely have to stay home with Mrs. Grumpy Bear the following week end.
Hmm November looks tight for me. Nov. 29 or 30th is still empty.
Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Well seems I can fit something in this weekend although my window of opportunity is quite narrow I was thinking of an early breakfast out there somewhere instead of lunch,…? Maybe riverside or creekside. Now I know what your all thinkin, yea yea sure. Post up a lunch and drop short notice and THEN on top of it ask you out early in the AM? LOL Sorry not trying to put anyone off but thats my small little window is from Fri evening to Saturday dinnertime. Sooooooo If I can get out there early,… and I mean early if none takes me up on the invite, I can hike/trek during full darkness or leave trailhead at first light and get to a suitable location easily by sun up over the mountains.

Now I have a couple of issues to deal with 1 being I do not currently own a fishing license and a shore lunch would be fantastic. I was thinking like trout with some brown beens and a few veges r something but the catch is I would probably buy the fish from somewhere and thats a whole other story but I really don't support store bought fish but again no license,… no fishy. Soooo if I had to chinch out on actually catching the fish ( which I HAVE caught fish so I know I can) but I really wanted to try some rudimentary practices to catch them which of course would most likely prove difficult. So with some more thought I would focus on tasks such as the fire building, basket stand and making a basket type tool to hold my fish while cooking. Also If I chose a spot with a slow water type of situation or even a large muddy pool I may go for a frog. Which my #2 problem is I don't have a frog gig. .But I have heard of a decent little way they catch them up around the the Nehatlatch area with a pole and a line along with a red T-shirt or red piece of material. Im thinking technically I would use a stick and some line with a hook and material. So I may try my hand at that. Its as simple as adding red yarn or whatever to your fishing kit. Hopefully I can report some success or otherwise on that. Never had a set of frog legs in my life. Im more curious about locating them, and catching them. Of course eating them too ;)

So if anyone might want to get out there just post up and I may even try for an overnighter on friday for the breakfast Saturday but Im sure with all I have going on Its wiser to prepare for a good morning start. Im still weighing out my location until friday night in case there is another crazy soul who wants to come out for breakfast and coffee off the beaten path,…. or wherever.
Knuckle

Post by Knuckle »

I did a flyout hunt with a friend in about 1983. I bagged a calf moose by 8 AM opening day with a blind heart and lung shot in tall grass with my 1st arrow. Had breakfast, quartered and packed the calf in the plane and was in the coffee shop bragging by 10AM. I did that campfire screwup you mentioned as I'd lit a fire on a rocky point but there was still pete moss about. Seems the stuff traveled underground and started smoldering up a tree nearby up after we'd left. Luckily a friend went back for the calf's Mom a few hours later (with the same pilot) and put my fire out for good. I've always thought I was careful as I had dumped a good 2 pail fulls of water on that fire before leaving. I've never trusted a pete moss area since then and dig down now before I light a stick. I fought Canada's largest fire(at the time) of over a million acres lost in 1980 and would hate to think I could have been tagged the careless prick to start another such monster...

As for campfires, I used to burn alot of driftwood during shore lunches as my region is covered with it. It burns fast and hot and my fires were usually 2ft in diameter or so. I guided in my youth and tourists soon complained if lunch took too long. After the fire burns down, I kick the embers tight and lay a green log on each side to hold a 18"- 20" cast iron fry pan with a 20" handle. Shore lunch consists of Walleye and brown beans and I'd often make onion rings (Yanks call the "hush puppies") with the remaining fish batter. I used to use a whole pound of butter to fry the fish daily and if you spill a drop, the whole pan would usually catch fire. Not much to making that meal as you might imagine but most Yanks thought it fantastic just the same. I'd often eat peanut butter sandwiches as I tired of that same meal about 1/2 way thru June (which is a month straight).

They used to sell this dehydrated stew mix in a tube like you buy potato chips in today. All you needed was meat and you had a great meal. When fall guiding for large game, I'd bag a partridge or 2 with a pellet gun for lunch and chop it up and throw in this stew mix. I didn't know crap about cooking in them days and that mix always made me look like I did. I have spent years trying to make such a concoction as that today as I never see anything close in stores today.

The ones I make are good but the gravy still seems wrong. I save the plastic tubes that Laye's chips come in for just this apt:

- I use dehydrated scalloped potatoes (store bought as they are cheaper than making my own)
- dehydrated peas and carrots
- dehydrated onions(mine)
- 1 pak Lipton Onion soup mix
- powdered beef gravy mix
- a small baggy with flour in it

I've tried every combination of crap I like to mix with partridge to accomplish what I did when young and maybe I just remember better than it really was. :roll:
(I also think I told this last story elsewhere here...a sure sign I'm getting old) :lol:
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Just an update on the day for you all. My plan was to get out early early and get some things done in complete darkness. Things that are normally simple become a slow process when "black out"

I tossed the canoe in the water and packed everything up. I actually packed pretty light as my only intention was finding a suitable spot and setting up camp. I was lucky enough to have clear skies and calm winds so no worries there. Traveling shoreline in a canoe with headlamp was fun but chilly. Gathering wood ( what will work) was difficult as one might expect and although I had a great spot it didn't come with a lot of real estate and gathering was difficult but I DID manage to get a nice fire going on the shore and had no after burn or surface issues. I do know all about it as I have been out and spent a few hrs wrestling a fire down that I inadvertently started as well. Due to the situation at hand that time ago I was very concerned as the fire had a very good chance of catching a 200' cedar ablaze and lets just say as a volunteer firefighter myself I was very pissed to not seen the issue before hand and even more determined to save the forest as you say Knuckle. Which i did just that but the energy expended to pull it off not only just about killed me and I was so friggin sore the next day I was shocked. I guess carrying coolers full of water30yrds for over an hour combined with all the digging, prying and axing I was doing + adrenalin just about did me in. In the end I sat there spent, sore, upset and need I say hungry as a bear now with all the work done. I soon won't forget that evening. So to confirm I had no such trouble yesterday. I bring a little salt and pepper for taste. Some honey and coconut oil. I was able to keep the cooking and eating to minimum and continued to work on some other aspects of my game. All in all I had a good day out and still managed to catch the juniors wallop of a game in the evening :)
Knuckle

Post by Knuckle »

So without intention on either of our parts, we are again disproving the theory of evolution.... as mankind would otherwise have by now grown eveballs somewhere near our butts as it appears many of us still acquire much of our knowledge from "Hind" sight! :D
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

OK well looks like the weather is going to be nice and unless that pretty lady calls me for tea, I really would like to get out for another lunch bushcraft style,… anywhere,… anyone? January 31st sounds like a great date. Lets roll out the cooking gear,.. or carve a stick ;) Lets go gather all the woodland fauna,… or pull out the chicken wings N beer I don't care! But dare I say we need to do lunch!

Anyone in the Fraser Valley looking to make some new alliances might wanna get your flint out and shoes by the door cause its a bush crafting we will go. Im open to suggestions in location and would love to see a few come out and get an eat on, shoot the breeze and go from there. Im open to all kids of topics, info sharing, and more personal views that you can shake a stick at! LOL Kidding,..

Lets get out and have some fun. Really interested in doing a Dakota fire pit and rustle up something different for eats. ;)

Anyone?

Return to “British Columbia”