Bushcraft Lunch?

Screedcrete

Bushcraft Lunch?

Post by Screedcrete »

Looking to get out for a nice bushcraft lunch.

I have been getting out there and working on my "on the move" skills, refining different techniques for shelter building and general comforts while on the move. Firestarting here in SW B.C. can be troublesome as well as procuring fuel. One of the things I am finding quite enjoyable at the present time is the cooking aspect of all of this. Nothing beets a good meal out in the bush when you need to replenish all the burnt calories of the days work. And evening work,… sometimes even seems like the sleeping is work :P So anyways practicing different fire sets and such and in general setting up a bushcraft "kitchen" I think is really cool and getting comfortable with the skill of preparing and eating can be pretty large.

Right now I bring food from home of course as I am in no need of hunting yet. Procuring food is very high on my list so any local hunters and gatherers are more than welcome to tag along and show me a thing or 2 as Im sure there are a few trix to eating out while at camp or on the move. Lets share ideas? So altho Im still eating store bought food the preparing for ease has been fun and sometimes not so fun. You can make it easy and you can fail miserably as well thus loosing much needed nutrition for yourself.

So I got to thinking as many of us are busy with friends and family and an easy way to do things like this are during daylight hours so a mid day meal and hike and walk and talk might be a good thing. Let me know if anyone is interested and we can get a dialog going on location and dates. Or I can go out on a limb and say Im most likely going out on the Remembrance day long weekend sometime.

PM me or post away!!

Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
BallisticPrepper

Re: Bushcraft Lunch?

Post by BallisticPrepper »

I practice all of the time. Even wheni go to the cottage, my children and I always fashion things with our hands. We practice snares and traps as well as making spears for fishing and hunting. We almost always start fires without matches and cook on open fires quite frequently. If time is scarce, I would suggest watching some of the survival shows for ideas and take notes.

During the moose hunt last week, I got the guys in my hunt camp to try new things such as hand made blinds. We cooked on open fires and taught the how to gather fresh drinking water without any water sources. It was a blast. Glad there was no snow... I'm still not ready for the four letter word.
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

AWESOME BallisticPrepper,.. One must continue the craft so to speak. If there is participation from others it CAN be a great learning experience. Say for example, Im all hung up on using natural fuel like wood for my needs. Now I know many, almost all actually that depend on an alternate fuel. Don't get me wrong there is a time and a place but I like to try. So looking and watching for me the differences in even the techniques and dance that need to happen either with wood or with fuel is a plus.

Getting into fire sets for different applications ( environmental holdbacks ) is an awesome topic. Cooking arrangements is another. Pot hangers, ovens etc. Heating and cooking by stealth for security reasons. There is a ton of great stuff! Then into food preps,…. for example I won't get into much detail but I kinda like to eat pretty well BUT there is a catch to it for sure. You have got utensils that make you or break you and what will double up for other uses. ( think lean )

When we get together and share together we all come out a winner and hey,…. its just survival :lol:

Reading things on how to accomplish the tasks are all cool but getting out and actually breaking a sweat is whats actually going to give you the knowledge. You cannot go out one day and say I can light fire with my flint if you have only done it a few times with a cotton ball soaked with Vasaline. Sooner or later those buggers are going to run out, get lost, get stolen. So I say run with Mother Nature and learn from her.

I have set and hosted many a meeting with locals in my area. We all shared good info and great times as well all the while taking something away from the gatherings and routine get togethers and if there is one thing that is consistent with progress here or ANYWHERE is putting it on the line and doing it.

Iv just been kicking around some ideas in my head about what meal I might assemble. Im fortunate to have a radio, internet and satellites to give me a glimpse of the weather for the time heading out and I won't for long so Im grateful to do it on my own accord and learn now.

If anyone is game for a lakeside location and hopefully catch dinner Im in for a shore lunch or Im even dreaming so far as making shepards pie from scratch so call me crazy cause everyone does :lol:
BallisticPrepper

I only wish I had more time to write and share ideas. I have been thinking that most people have become so accustomed to technology that they have forgotten how to utilize thier basic instincts and abilities.

I meet with some farmers and old timers who do not have cable and will be able to forecast weather fairly accurately. Not only that, however, what type of weather to,expect over the coming year. Those bastards who write the farmers almanac know what they are doing.

We tried something different last weekend with the boys, we set out without a single tool. I tasked each of them to fashion a shelter, a hunting weapon and to locate potable water. After about six hours, I was pleasantly surprised.., I'll leave out the overwhelming sense of joy, pride, and satisfaction, that perhaps I did a great job or raising them. Then I stood back and succumbed to reality... It wasn't all me. I thought them to think outside the box and be creative and use their own minds.

I challenge anybody out thier to leave the technology behind, and be able to fashion thier own tools to build the basics for survival...

Did I mention that my 11 and 13 year old made a hatched, a mallet and a split spear/trap for fishing. unfortunately the twine from natural materials took some time, they cheated and used thier laces. But, this was not a cheat... I will call it survival instinct.

This weekend I think that we will use knives and fine tune the shelter building skills. Even though the one they made last weekend held up to the rain and winds... Perhaps we can improve and make. Two storey unit with a living room... Just kidding... I'm glad I am able to learn from my children, being humble isn't all that easy.
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

I've been teach youth to cook in the bush for 20 +. The hardest thing to teach any one is you don't need a huge fire. The next is that if they want to stay concealed is you must start your fire with dry tinder and use dry wood to keep the smoke down. Next would be what you cook will most likely create an aroma that will travel in the wind. Bears can smell wood smoke five miles away, a human about a mile. Both can smell bacon twice that. If you aren't sure how close the bears or the zombies are make it a very small fire and avoid frying, boil water add it to some thing that has very little smell. Don't use savories or spices, go plain until you know you are safe.

Here's how I do it.
1/ cut the sod from the ground and gently set it aside on a towel.
2/ dig a small 12" round hole by the same deep.
3/ lay your fire in the hole, make sure everything is dry that goes into that fire, Keep it small.
4/ lay two pieces of wood across the hole big enough not to burn through with your pot on top while you are cooking.
5/ let fire burn out, replace the dirt off your towel to fire pit and level it out.
6/ Replace the sod in place. sweep away any dirt that is not covered by the sod.
7/ water the sod and fluff up the grass, throw a hand full or two of leaves about the area.
8/ clear the area of any indication you were ever there.

You can do the same thing for a cat hole just leave parts 3, 4, and five out.
Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"
BallisticPrepper

Thanks for the great ideas... Perhaps I will give it a shot this time around. It has been wet though. As well, the Bears have been active, perhaps with all the summer gorby's leaving...
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Yes stealth for warmth and cooking is essential. I have a few tricks up my sleeves and as mentioned there is no substitute for DOING IT. I have read, watched and listened to others that seem to have all the right reasons, good plans, and the uncanny ability to think they can actually pull it off. Never ceases to amaze me that when you get there,…. it seems like its a camping trip or a day out for a walk in the woods. HAHAHA Bottom line is get out there and do it. Better yet,… get out there and do it with others. Kick the can a bit. Share ideas and learn from each other. There are so many that have the answers. ONLINE answers. LOL You can bet it don't work that way at all. Yup it might once and when you talk to the younger crowd they sure sound like they have a lot of talent but honestly its just book read. Im challenging anybody to come on out for a good day of sharing and learning. Doing and talking.

I have been on this forum for awhile now and its clear who walks the walk by getting out there and showing up. If none shows up for lunch I will work, learn, and eat for myself but given the outings we have had thus far clearly indicates what you think is gonna work, AINT. better to understand your skills, your adversaries and the rest NOW.

I have also noticed a few here that just like to jump on others posts to critique it or a more likeable term in my books is simply bash you and your ideas all the while they sit at home with the comfy heater at their feet dicking with electronics, and how they are learning what goes where and just how fast it should be. ;) Everyone has skills to share and skills to learn. Id like to keep it real and do this in the flesh as thats where its really at. Gone are the days of bullshit baffles brains. We have come way too far for that IMHO.

Just the last time out I met a fabulous guy that has lots of experience in fighting forest fires. No it don't stop there,…. its about whats brung for necessity, where to shelter, what way the wind drifts accros a hillside or valley. How and why for safety,….. man oh man. There is no substitute for that at all. Im thankful that someone puts their life on the line and is willing to share things with myself because of it. So thank you brotha. You can't put a price on that info!!

Just come on out in the flesh and start to make it happen is all i say. Its when you let yourself go and seek,… is when doors will open up and things become much more clear in sight. These are good things for sure.

After all its survival. :twisted:
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

When, Where, What time?
As long as it's not to far away, I'd enjoy learning a new way to do things.
One is never to old to learn new tricks and just maybe bring a few along ;)
Most of all "Be Ready"
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Grumpy Bear wrote:I've been teach youth to cook in the bush for 20 +. The hardest thing to teach any one is you don't need a huge fire. The next is that if they want to stay concealed is you must start your fire with dry tinder and use dry wood to keep the smoke down. Next would be what you cook will most likely create an aroma that will travel in the wind. Bears can smell wood smoke five miles away, a human about a mile. Both can smell bacon twice that. If you aren't sure how close the bears or the zombies are make it a very small fire and avoid frying, boil water add it to some thing that has very little smell. Don't use savories or spices, go plain until you know you are safe.

Here's how I do it.
1/ cut the sod from the ground and gently set it aside on a towel.
2/ dig a small 12" round hole by the same deep.
3/ lay your fire in the hole, make sure everything is dry that goes into that fire, Keep it small.
4/ lay two pieces of wood across the hole big enough not to burn through with your pot on top while you are cooking.
5/ let fire burn out, replace the dirt off your towel to fire pit and level it out.
6/ Replace the sod in place. sweep away any dirt that is not covered by the sod.
7/ water the sod and fluff up the grass, throw a hand full or two of leaves about the area.
8/ clear the area of any indication you were ever there.

You can do the same thing for a cat hole just leave parts 3, 4, and five out.

One more thing. Fire can start and travel under ground to pop up elsewhere. Many forest fires have been started by campfires that were thought to be put out correctly. Soak the hole thoroughly with water before you cover it up. There is also a risk while the fire is burning in the pit. You will never know when this occurs. I was taught by a World War ll bush master to soak the ground for 2 feet around a campfire when putting it out.
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Perhaps I should have mentioned that one must pick ones placement site prior to igniting ones fire.
Thanks Odd Duck
Most of all "Be Ready"

Return to “British Columbia”