Skills Day Meet Up

Grumpy Bear

Skills Day Meet Up

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Well Gang Mrs. Grumpy Bear heard me babbling about how I hear people yapping about their skills and saying we should have a get together and share are outdoor skills. She told me to either organize one or "Shut the hell up about it".
A few questions for you.

Who would actually show up for a skills day?
Who would be willing to present a one hour presentation we would need at least six presentations?
I would present one, now we need five more.

If we get enough interest then I will present more info.

Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"
Screedcrete

Re: Skills Day Meet Up

Post by Screedcrete »

I would show up if the date works for me!

I could pull off a presentation.

A question or 2 for you,….

1; why a 1 hr presentation? Might scare away many as thats a big presentation I would think. If I remember you said you may have been in sales so that may not be a stretch for you but Im sure it might put many off.

2nd; I really don't think you need look for 6,…. I have had my fair share of meetings and get togethers and time runs fast when there is not a lot of rhythm. There never is. LOL At least I always felt light and easy was a good bet but its your show. If I got 2 others other than yourself I would say thats a pretty big success IMO.

3rd; Where and when would you think of hosting it?
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Hi Screedcrete
I was thinking maybe mid Dec. Ya I know "oooh winter: bush skills aren't any use if you can't .perform them in winter.
1 hr.gives one a chance to present, then allows time for those attending to have a go or two.
If we get 6 people to come out say. and each hand a skill to teach, and every one had a chance to try it hands on
you'd be surpised how fast an hour passes.
I would need time to find a venue most likely Mission / Maple Ridge
Just so you know I've been organnising training sessions for Scouts and Ventures for the past 25 years
I'll get back to you with more info as I'm on the road at present.(Vancouver Island)
Cheers
Most of all "Be Ready"
CSG

Post by CSG »

its a good idea, what kind of skills where you looking for?
CSG

Paracord is your friend
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Its a great idea and I really wish more would take a bite! I think CSG, the objective is to get folks out that either have some knowledge or want some knowledge. It doesn't matter what you bring to the table at all. Its about getting out and doing it I THINK? Anyway even if you and I were to present a skill thats the same,…. by looking at how it transpires may teach you or I a lesson in itself. We all get complacent with our skills and there are so many more to pursue that its a win win all around. Really,….. Where are all the preppers?? There is plenty of time to prepare LOL
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
Blackknight88

Post by Blackknight88 »

Id be in but Im a little ways away...
The prudent see danger and take refuge but the simple keep going and suffer for it...
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Hi Gang
Ok I'm back in town again. Doing my Basic Ham course at present, working over time at it as I want 80% or better to do I get my honors title for advanced.

I was thinking we could have a theme for the skills day. Perhaps "Winter Outdoors Skills"

I would do wet weather fire starting, and and reflector systems.

Some ideas would be shelters, foods for warmth, How to avoid frost bite, sleeping warm, hypothermia signs and prevention. Heat exhaustion(yes i said heat exhaustion) it's quit common when working hard in cold temp wearing warm cloths.
I could go on and on here. used to teach it for winter camping skills.

Oh and we don't need snow to do this, in fact I prefer Dry & Cold.
Most of all "Be Ready"
oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool »

waving to Mrs. Grumpy Bear :)

Not that I could be involved but I thought I may offer a few words on planning such a skills meet up that I have learned over the last few years.

- make a time limit for the skills but ask if it is just a "show & tell" or will you teach. The time for the skill goes up if you are teaching.
-decide if they are going to be indoor or outdoor skills that you are going to share
- I found it easier to figure out what skill after the location and date have been picked incase some skills can not be easily done in various situations
-skills such as avoiding frost bite, sleeping warm, etc - you may want to be able to give a hand out for people to take home. That kind of thing should be decided in advance.
-let go of the teaching - meaning trust others to do a good job teaching but speak up nicely on the side if you disagree with what is being said.
-be prepared to answer questions - know you skill not just a skill that you have learned from youtube

Sorry if I stepped in here but I want everyone to have a great skills meet up without making the same kinds of mistakes that I have made over the years.
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Thanks Oldschool
Creative input is always of value.
Most of all "Be Ready"
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Ok I'm back from the month of Oh Shit I have a lot to accomplish month.
I'll put together a program and post it so we can tweek it work for those who want to attend.
Most of all "Be Ready"

Return to “British Columbia”