Spring has started in the lower mainland

Grumpy Bear

Spring has started in the lower mainland

Post by Grumpy Bear »

What a glorious day. Sun shine, blue sky's and my garden is calling me.
As preppers we can't depend on what we put away. We need to be able to sustain our selves when the stock pile runs out.
How many of you can raise your own food and preserve it when it's ripe and ready to eat? One does not live on meat alone, you need veggies and fruit.
Remember when the SHTF every one who can will be hunting the same meat animals, most won't know how to preserve the meat and it will spoil and they will have to hunt more often. Learn to garden, learn to fish, learn to hunt.
Cheers

Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"
Preppersaurus
Canada

Re: Spring has started in the lower mainland

Post by Preppersaurus »

Grumpy Bear,

EXACTLY. We have been harvesting the same Kale plant for 3 years now, all year round, in a cold frame. I'm still getting hot peppers of the plants I planted last spring. Everyone said I would have to replant them every year, but the plants have tons of new leaf growth along with peppers. Onions are everywhere, still in the ground. AND MY LIMES !!! Almost ready to pick. Ya Gotta love this LML climate. We now have 200 sq ft of dedicated space for herbs and medicinal plants.
You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Started my Turnips, Rutabagas, Cabbages, Brussel sprouts, Three types of squash, cucumbers, Pumpkins and got my taters (4 types) in the boxes. I'm pooped think its time for a drink ;)
Most of all "Be Ready"
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Growing gardens are great! Animal husbandry is great! Foraging wild edibles is great! Medicinal plants are great! Hunting is great as well as trapping! But one thing I count on and work well at is thinking outside the box. Lots never see the light there. I think its very important to understand different tactics that others refuse to look into, or simply cant for numerous different reasons. Gardens can be raided. Stockpiles obliterated. Animals can be scarce.

Think outside the box
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
Syn

Post by Syn »

Snails are plentiful in spring. I think you'd have to be pretty hungry Screedcrete. My brain is still trying to wrap around the fact we are forecasted to hit 27 C on Thursday and 29 C mid month . I need to refocus and get onto having more seed trays planted and finish the gate I am building for my garden . I moved so I am starting all over again . I rocked planting a small orchard with fruit and nut trees and I still have a small nursery of cuttings and things I want to grow out longer . After a few other projects I will plant a mini vineyard with cuttings I rooted from the last location, concord and muscat grapes and oriental kiwi so far. Ordered olive trees to try for the first time ever. I am jazzed about building abundance into the land around me in a permaculture fashion. The other thing this spring brings is a new resolve to improve my fitness this year so I can be more effective in my endeavours . I want to put basic infrastructure in place this year so next year I can work on some new skills. "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Screedcrete

Post by Screedcrete »

Yes Syn I would agree that I would need to be practically starving to eat a snail but I think I could if i roasted the little bugger! Haha glad to hear your working up the garden as it IS that time of year for sure. I myself have made numerous changes allowing me to start a more thorough goal outside. I have been prepping the garden as well and lucky enough to have a small greenhouse on site as well as a beautiful fenced of garden, barn area and more.

Grumpy bear I plan on working hard and the food preservation thing as well now that I have full opportunity to do so. From canning to smoking and possibly even curing in salt. Im a newb at this so I may be calling on some advice on this forum from time to time

Cheers to Yall!
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)
Syn

Post by Syn »

Just thought I would mention a few plant sales :
Deroche plant sale 1 - 4 pm Saturday April 9 , Lougheed Hwy at N. Deroche Road
Yarrow plant sale starts 9 am Saturday April 30 , 4670 Community St.
McConnel Creek Plant sale Saturday MAy 7 10 am start, 35483 Hartley rd.

MARK’S 2016 FIRST PLANT SALE( at the Farm!)
Date: Sunday, April 10th,2016
Place: 28216 96 Ave. Maple Ridge
Time: 10 am to 4 pm
A whole year has passed and it is time for my first plant sale for 2016! As many of you know I have bought a farm and have a lot more room to grow and sell plants. This first plant sale always features the prime plants I have been busy dividing and sowing all winter long. The red & white trilliums are in bloom along with many other perennials, herbs,shrubs,vines and small trees [over 1000 pots!]
The edible plants include, honey berries(3 varieties), yellow raspberries,red raspberries,dew berries, marion berries, yellow strawberries,red California strawberries, alpine strawberries, horse radish, tay berries, boysenberries, black or red currants,hazelnut trees, blueberries(7 varieties), fig trees(7 varieties!),asparagus, rhubarb, goji berries, Saskatoon berries,Jerusalum artichokes,thornless blackberries,red or green gooseberries,seedless grapes(5 varieties)- just to name a few kinds!
You will need to bring a box or tray for your fruit plants, perennials, herbs, shrubs and vines etc…
Please print this invite so you will be reminded of the date and have directions to get to my house.
Please park on either side of 96 Ave and walk down the driveway .
Directions:
East or West on Lougheed Highway to the traffic lights at 280th street. Turn north(you can’t turn south or you will be in the Fraser River!) One block up 280th street turn right on 96 Ave. Second farm on the right side with two oak ½ barrels on either side of the driveway.
Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear »

Hi Syn
Sorry I was away on the 10th any chance I could come by and get some berry plants on Monday the 18th.
I live at Laity and 123 Ave. your not that far away and it would be good to meet some one out here in the Ridge.
Cheers Grumpy
Most of all "Be Ready"
Syn

Post by Syn »

All the above plant sells are publically advertised, none are `my own. I am starting out at a new location this year and trying to plant gardens therefore keeping an eye on the sales and sharing the dates for others who also may be building up their gardens .
Sorry Grumpy Bear , I did not see this until the 20th to let you know. These hot days I am more and more considering running cable to grow hops over part of a yard for more dappled sunlight over some of my planting areas or more fruit trees. My kale has bolted already . Anyone else thinking about adaptations to make now for a longer hotter drier summer climate ?
The Island Retreat
Canada

Post by The Island Retreat »

We decided this year to try paw paw, a 'native to north America' kind of fruit. Should be interesting. On top of gardening, a new coop for the extended flock is being built, and I capped this awesome day bucking up about a cord of logs to get ready to split. It'll be nice to give them a hot summer to season. My goal is to get a year ahead on the wood supply, as it is our main heat source, and backup cooking source!

Jonesy
Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

Return to “British Columbia”