What have you added to your preps this week?

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 pm
Location: SW Ontario, ON

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by thecrownsown » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Clarence wrote:
Wayne wrote:I just purchased two BaoFeng GT3-TP Mark III Handhelds from Rapid Survival. What a great supplier with quick shipping. Eric's knowledgeable and helpful. Highly recommended!

These units are programable with three power settings 1, 4 and 8 Watts. I'm looking forward to programming them and getting one into my wife's vehicle. I've been looking for communications that could be used to stay in-touch with each other (should the lights go out when we are apart during the day). Hopefully, these will fill that requirement.
Awesome
Keep us posted please on range and vehicular and other environmental conditions you tested them under.
Thinking of doing the same/ for wife and me.
Clarence, I purchased my radio from Eric as well and several others I know. His customer service is excellent, he pre programs them for your area with important channels. But most of all his prices are extremely competitve. Just my two cents.


https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Clarence
Canada
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 am
Location: Ottawa area, Ontario
Contact:

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by Clarence » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

thecrownsown wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Wayne wrote:I just purchased two BaoFeng GT3-TP Mark III Handhelds from Rapid Survival. What a great supplier with quick shipping. Eric's knowledgeable and helpful. Highly recommended!

These units are programable with three power settings 1, 4 and 8 Watts. I'm looking forward to programming them and getting one into my wife's vehicle. I've been looking for communications that could be used to stay in-touch with each other (should the lights go out when we are apart during the day). Hopefully, these will fill that requirement.
Awesome
Keep us posted please on range and vehicular and other environmental conditions you tested them under.
Thinking of doing the same/ for wife and me.
Clarence, I purchased my radio from Eric as well and several others I know. His customer service is excellent, he pre programs them for your area with important channels. But most of all his prices are extremely competitve. Just my two cents.
much appreciated Sir. any feedback on what i can perhaps achieve for range etc would be appreciated. wife is typically is only 30 clicks away but may be as much as 100. rural setting so, farm fields and trees, fairly flat. In an emergency, i would likely be able to drive to her via ATV, Skidoo or truck and get closer for pickup. Same if i am stuck in Ottawa and she or a friend try's to get closer to snag me and save my feeble legs and lungs :oops:

User avatar
Denob
Site Admin
Canada
Posts: 2855
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by Denob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Picked up another 9.46 litre jug of kerosene.
Got some EMP bags for ham radios, laptop, and a few other electronics.
Found that the supermarket was liquidating veggie platters the day after the Superbowl. Got more than 6 kg of veggies for $5.60 (4 trays at $1.40).
And it's only Wednesday!

scrounger
Canada
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 am

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by scrounger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Two more fire extinguishers. My work was surplussing them, got them for a very reasonable price.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

User avatar
helicopilot
Canada
Posts: 1373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Back in AB, Yeah!!!

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by helicopilot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm

scrounger wrote:Two more fire extinguishers. My work was surplussing them, got them for a very reasonable price.
Lucky. If they are the powder kind, make sure to shake them around and hold them upside down from time to time while gently taping the underside with a rubber mallet. Otherwise, the powder settles at the bottom and hardens, rendering them significantly less efficient.

scrounger
Canada
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 am

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by scrounger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 pm

HP,

That is sound advice. I am very fortunate that my company allows employees to bring in their extinguishers to be be checked yearly. It gets done at same time as building extinguishers are done. A few years ago we also had opportunity to do a group buy/extinguisher training from the company that looks after our equipment.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Clarence
Canada
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 am
Location: Ottawa area, Ontario
Contact:

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Post by Clarence » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:55 pm

helicopilot wrote:
scrounger wrote:Two more fire extinguishers. My work was surplussing them, got them for a very reasonable price.
Lucky. If they are the powder kind, make sure to shake them around and hold them upside down from time to time while gently taping the underside with a rubber mallet. Otherwise, the powder settles at the bottom and hardens, rendering them significantly less efficient.
Will start doing the mallet trick as well !
I usually just rotate around / lay sideways, upright and upside down. So far so good

Post Reply

Return to “Ontario”