Ebola now in United States

livingpower

Re: Ebola now in United States

Post by livingpower » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:29 pm

And then, check this out. Some guy not wearing ANY protective clothing with her when she was transported to Atlanta!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -them.html

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Denob wrote:Uh oh...don't look now, but it looks like there is some real scientific research that indicates the POSSIBILITY of airborne transmission.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/airborne-ebola/

This certainly would explain how the virus is being transmitted even with the current isolation protocols.

I too agree that there is a danger for anyone who was in either of those two airports...unfortunately, there is no way to contact and isolate all those people.
I have a sinking feeling that this is now just the start.
Don't get me wrong...with infection rates in the hardest hit regions of West Africa still well below one tenth of a percent of the population, still no where near an extinction level, head to the bunker, shoot anyone with the sniffles on sight kind of situation, but I DO believe we are going to see a lot of cases in the coming weeks and months.
Interesting site. I've never surfed there before. :)

The link that "doomandgloom" refers to in stating its "airborne" is directly below. Its important to note that the report was made by two professors from the University of Chicago...and is a commentary. Commentary is code for "take it in context." That being said... erring on the side of safety is in the prepper by laws some place... ;)

So in the report they cite, it's technically not "airborne" as in it will fly around indefinitely until it finds a host....(according to the CDC and Health Canada it has a fairly short lifespan outside a host in a dry environment)... But...I understand there point to be its like the Flu or a similar virus which can travel as an "aerosol" or in a mist say from sneezing, etc. and if it makes contact with a new host will then infect them. Add some air currents in a building, or convection process from warm air in the host, in a cold space, etc. and transmission without "touching" someone persay can occur when they are in the direct vicinity of the infected person. Thats basically what they are getting at, and that because of the "aerosol" transmissions which is possible (though no infections have occured like this...yet) N95 masks are not enough for protection. Good read. Good article. Educating us is a great tool is staying safe.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... tion-ebola
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Many health care experts are calling the difference between "airborne" as most of us would understand the term and "aerosol" meaning sneeze droplets as an example trivial.
In any case, we have heard the head of the CDC, as well as many others on the television proclaiming that they know how to handle and contain this....given recent events, I would beg the difference!

woodbooger
Canada

Post by woodbooger » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Good.point Denob. To quote the U.S government when.they first started to bring infected people home, " we can handle this!" I guess it's easier when you know what's coming, when it's coming, where it's going etc. when it just pops up randomly, not so much! When you see the infighting, and allegations of cover ups and mind boggling decisions by the healthcare workers involved it doesn't give me much comfort

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:02 am

I was just talking with DW about our plans again, and we expanded our trigger cities to include Ottawa and New York...again though, not a case diagnosed there, but actually transmitted there.
We also decided that we will not wait for the kids to come home from school, but instead pull them from class saying "familly emergency"...that's my job...DW will do a final run to Costco, then we lock down.

Knuckle

Post by Knuckle » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:56 am

So if the virus gets to either of these cities, you hide in your home and immediate area for how long? Does this means you don't go to work and do you have home schooling,etc? What is the all clear aspect that signals to resume normal life once again? I ask because I haven't a clue how one would determine such parameters...

I think I'd start worrying if it were to hit either Winnipeg or Thunder Bay (300 miles away). Yet I'd expect we'd have a town meeting and consider placing a manned road block on the one road into our region. Locals would likely be quick to agree with such measures to prevent spread and authorities would know we outnumber them and I'm betting not be too quick to disagree as they too have family here. This kind of measure can be more easily achieved in a small community because we have often worked together without government approval in the past. I fear that large population regions have to many that who would scream loud about their rights at such a time when discussion isn't needed but action is. I'm counting on the work together ethics we often use during heavy snowstorms to 1st dig out and discuss who owes who for plowing later. We all tow out anybody we see, we all help each other because the next one in trouble could be us!

I would hate to think what would happen though once it got past these roadblocks. Then I'd bet we'd become the same as our city neighbours in some areas regarding family first. we'd still be more likely trusting of our neighbours as we've grown up with many over a lifetime and therefore still be more trusting in more ways.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 am

Yes Knuckle...I already work from home and my DW has the ability to already installed, tested and used...that is what we call having a plan!
As for schooling...1 kid in kindergarden won't be an issue, although we do have some workbooks and supplies for his level, and one in highschool, which is able to give assignments via internet. We have confirmed this...again, having a plan.
saying that you expect a town meeting or would consider a roadblock is not planning...it's gambling that your neighbors would all go along with it.
I'm also not sure how local government would react to a manned roadblock. A group of residents deciding who comes and goes while rule of law still exists just isn't going to sit well.
If you think all that would be viable, why have you not already called that town meeting and discussed what to do and when?

Knuckle

Post by Knuckle » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:57 am

I must admit that this is indeed a scenario I have not considered much of a priority. And to get folks is this region to consider advanced planning is far more unlikely. They would react far quicker than a larger community could, but would indeed be last out of the gate, so to speak! I guess I do put alot of faith in our joint response as a community, but this faith came from fighting forest fires here, finding lost persons and just jumping in a boat to see if a local friend is faring well after a major storm. If all is well, you have a coffee and go home!

I have to admit that the mention of Thunder Bay hospital getting a suspected case is an eye opener. But as usual, our biggest threat here is always forest fire. Meanwhile, I still leave the keys in the truck everyday as do my neighbours. I'll change up when trucks start going missing. Until then, they stay were I know where to find them.... it does seem that we have different priorities as to what we expect will be the crisis to prepare for.

MrsPrepwPets

Post by MrsPrepwPets » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:32 am

Garlowin wrote:In the event someone in the house gets sick.... say when/if we get as bad as western Africa. Do you all have a plan to take care of an infected person in your home ? Suggestions ?
If it's as bad as W. Afr.:
Do you have the capability to set up a sick room with two-phase decon chamber(s) outside it?
-Plastic for all sealed areas, tape
-IV and other supportive care
-Bedpan/alternative
-Sealed mattress/removable liquid-catching alternative
-Disinfectant

Besides the room itself would be attendants:
-Full protective gear, head-to-toe, with changes for the caretaker with every shift back and forth (IV changes, bedding/waste changes, food/liquids; or, man it in shifts with the capability to accomplish those while remaining in the room, set number of hours so a set number of changes)
-Protective gear for the scrub-down/decon assistant
-Waste disposal (ways to bag and seal without contaminating the outer edges, ultimate plan for what to do with those wastes)

Ideally you'd be able to set up three-stage living for a case where you had an illness of such severity and concern: sick party, caretakers/caretaker & assistant, "clean but quarantined" household members who are able to take care of pets/livestock/yard.
All 3 stages would remain separate. Bedding, food, waste, entertainment, no interaction between the groups.

You could also set up multiple conditions of potential exposure.
EG, the two most likely to have caught it could be the caretakers (still observing extreme care in protocols), and have two sets of "so far clean" household members, more exposed (kisses, shared drinks, sneezed on) and less exposed (live there, but little intimate contact besides touching the same faucet handle and toothbrushes bumping up against each other).

That requires having enough able-bodied adults to care for children (who are going to be in higher exposure groups, usually, due to less mini-human focus on handwashing and germ spread). It also requires having a household of able-bodied people who are all versed in bio-contaminant control methods and in practice of using PPE.

Yeah, by the time one household member is symptomatic, others have some level of exposure. But not everybody gets it. People with greater exposure have greater chances of getting it (people who drive more have better chances of either being in an accident or breaking a traffic law). Separating them helps further reduce the risks.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am

Garlowin wrote:In the event someone in the house gets sick.... say when/if we get as bad as western Africa. Do you all have a plan to take care of an infected person in your home ? Suggestions ?
Actually, no.
Setting up that kind of sick room is beyond what we, and most, can do.
If someone in the house gets it, the hospitals are better equipped to deal with it.

Return to “Ontario”