Why 'Z Nation' Fails as a post-apocoplytic TV show

Che
Topic Leader

Why 'Z Nation' Fails as a post-apocoplytic TV show

Post by Che » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 am

If anyone here is anything like me they tend to enjoy movies and/or TV shows relating to anything post-apocolyptic. I'm sure I've mentioned this previously that while most shows and movies tend to be things that we already know as preppers there's always that insightful perspective that comes across as genuis (to me anyways). For example: Doomsday Prepper Episode Living Off the Land featured a gentlemen by the name of Michael Patrick Douglas. In part of his segment he discusses his access control system. Birds. What a brilliant idea, I thought. Here's the clip in question if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInq4cNerFA

With that said you'd expect to see something, anything, where these shows and movies are concerned. Something like basic resources, like food and water acquisition, security, medical supplies, etc. What are they doing from a survivalist perspective 'to survive'? Instead, there is absolutely no value, even from a basic stand point. This, coupled with bad acting, makes it very difficult to watch. I'll provide the following points as to why I think this show in particular isn't very good at all.

In the first episode the 'zombies' were crazy fast. Subsequent episodes featured slow, clumsy zombies (inconsistency).
Fuel resources have been a concern in every episode, yet, they seem to drive past vehicles without checking their tanks.
Firearms resources 'should' be a concern, yet, they've left a few scenarios were firearms and ammunition are readily available.
The NSA contact that's up north seems to be able to magically connect with them through various means.
Rigging the satellite dish, knowing which direction to point it and speaking with the NSA contact through a drive through machine was a joke. How was this powered exactly?
Speaking of power, there walkies, while inconsistent, do seem to always have power.
For the most part the characters are very clean. The cannibals were very clean - some with what appeared to be clean clothes. It looks like they've had a bath everyday and even wear makeup.

Poor acting coupled with producers and writers that know nothing about prepping is a recipe for an extremely bad show. It would have been nice to see some basic concepts so that it's atleast tolerable yet, from what I've seen, it's probably better to avoid this show all together. It appears to me that it's entirely motivated and profit-driven based on the success of 'The Walking Dead'...

Intelligent Survival Networking for Enhancing Knowledge and Resources
Ontario Preppers Ontario Preparedness

sailbum5872

Re: Why 'Z Nation' Fails as a post-apocoplytic TV show

Post by sailbum5872 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:40 am

That well may be, but its so much fun to watch. Its great for preppers to watch and see what not to do. But its still fun and they are only at episode 4. You gotta give it a chance. I had a hard time sitting thru season 1 of walking dead, but soon after started to really enjoy it, and now I'm obsessed with it. Can't wait till next Sunday.

Che
Topic Leader

Post by Che » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 am

sailbum5872 wrote:Its great for preppers to watch and see what not to do
I'll give you that one...

Jensen

Post by Jensen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:45 pm

sailbum5872 wrote:Can't wait till next Sunday.
And I will give you that one :).

Cant wait either !

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Unfortunately I have Bell expressvue, so I don't get SyFy...
That being said, I did find the 4 episodes through my super secret information source and had a look...
OK, maybe some of the acting will get better with time and experience.
I absolutely LOVE Doc!
I do find though, that it is a Walking Dead wannabe coat tail rider...even still, I kinda like it, as I am a fan of the whole zombie genre.
I will be watching the above mentioned super secret information source for more episodes.

sailbum5872

Post by sailbum5872 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:06 am

Its no secret. Pirate Bay, all the free DL's you want.

Che
Topic Leader

Post by Che » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 am

sailbum5872 wrote:Its no secret. Pirate Bay, all the free DL's you want.
Pirate Bay??!! Never heard of it...

livingpower

Post by livingpower » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Denob wrote:Unfortunately I have Bell expressvue, so I don't get SyFy...
That being said, I did find the 4 episodes through my super secret information source and had a look...
I absolutely LOVE Doc!
I do find though, that it is a Walking Dead wannabe coat tail rider...even still, I kinda like it, as I am a fan of the whole zombie genre.
I will be watching the above mentioned super secret information source for more episodes.
It's being aired on Space, Denob. You can see it there :-)

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:11 pm

livingpower wrote:
Denob wrote:Unfortunately I have Bell expressvue, so I don't get SyFy...
I absolutely LOVE Doc!
It's being aired on Space, Denob. You can see it there :-)
Found it...Fridays at 10PM.
Thanks

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:11 pm

sailbum5872 wrote:Its no secret. Pirate Bay, all the free DL's you want.
Nope...not even close!

Return to “Ontario”