USA preppers considered as terrorists.

CSG

Re: USA preppers considered as terrorists.

Post by CSG »

helicopilot wrote:
Intelligence isn't a requirement to declare oneself a prepper...
couldnt stop laughing with this one. I needed this one on a Monday.

CSG

Paracord is your friend
HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady »

C5, sage advice to analyze critically... Rather than being an expert at prepping per se, I think many have unique and complementary skills and ideas to offer. Personally I have the advantage of being knowledgeable enough about certain govt activities and I wouldn't fall for some of the anti-govt paranoia I hear sometimes in prepperland online.

I also agree with Denob-there are different types of preppers, some less likely to be scrutinized as a potential extremist. Gardening, self sufficiency and development of survival skills is considered pretty benign. I think once you get into weapons and any sort of promotion of vigilantism like some WROL scenarios, that gets more iffy. Considering that Canada has its own legacy of neo-nazism and past prairie ties to Idaho separatist groups, I certainly would not want to be associated with those folks. I keep hearing about off-grid people in Florida getting in trouble with the local govt, but lots of people in cottages up here seem to be off-grid with no issues...
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”
GnosticNomad

Post by GnosticNomad »

On 3 difference occasion I've had people accuse me of hoarding because I have stored food and previsions . One guy said my behavior contributed to world hunger . People have been so dumbed down it's really disturbing . These same people are always anti gun and love big government .
NorthernVVolf

Post by NorthernVVolf »

this would be a good website to point to if anyone gives you grief about prepping:

http://www.emergencymanagementontario.c ... pared.html

not that id suggest going public, not that 'they' arnt out to get you...but at least in ontario its seems to be ok to be able to be a bit prepared. just dont show em how crazy you are :)
One day, the lowly farmer will be King
HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady »

Actually all provinces, as well as the federal government have emergency preparedness campaigns. Some cities, too. I took the training for my local one and am giving an info session in 2 weeks - already did one earlier in the summer. I guess the question is where do you draw the line between preparedness/self-sufficiency and anti-government or anti-establishment. Personally I think Canadians, with our gun control and extreme weather, are more mellow about this, or maybe we are less vocal. I have a feeling that in Canada, preppers are less likely to be viewed by the government as a threat, unless you act like Weibo Ludwig & co.
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”
NorthernVVolf

Post by NorthernVVolf »

HopeImReady wrote:Actually all provinces, as well as the federal government have emergency preparedness campaigns. Some cities, too. I took the training for my local one and am giving an info session in 2 weeks - already did one earlier in the summer. I guess the question is where do you draw the line between preparedness/self-sufficiency and anti-government or anti-establishment. Personally I think Canadians, with our gun control and extreme weather, are more mellow about this, or maybe we are less vocal. I have a feeling that in Canada, preppers are less likely to be viewed by the government as a threat, unless you act like Weibo Ludwig & co.

if you come to give one of these info sessions in thunder bay, let me know...ill go. :)
One day, the lowly farmer will be King
HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady »

Haha, that's a bit far for me, but you should check into whether Thunder Bay has something similar...
HopeImReady
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

helicopilot wrote:Interestingly, some prepare against a government uprising (you know, the FEMA camps and all?) and having the Feds out to get them. These folks can be pretty outspoken, talk of having arsenals to protect themselves against government forces and post everything online, which will, in turn, bring attention to them by... The Feds?!?!

Like these clowns... http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... d=pm_pop_b

Some lessons to be learned from a general preparedness standpoint though if you are the slightest paranoiac, buying everything from the same store and being outspoken don't mix well... And bragging one's mouth off may also draw the wrong kind of attention.
cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 »

helicopilot wrote:
helicopilot wrote:Interestingly, some prepare against a government uprising (you know, the FEMA camps and all?) and having the Feds out to get them. These folks can be pretty outspoken, talk of having arsenals to protect themselves against government forces and post everything online, which will, in turn, bring attention to them by... The Feds?!?!

Like these clowns... http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... d=pm_pop_b

Some lessons to be learned from a general preparedness standpoint though if you are the slightest paranoiac, buying everything from the same store and being outspoken don't mix well... And bragging one's mouth off may also draw the wrong kind of attention.
Here is another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGU4TrYGQY
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.
Rightwinged_prepper

Post by Rightwinged_prepper »

Personally, i'm a "watch the government to make sure they don't get out of hand" sort of prepper. But i'm also a political party member for Ontario and Canada . These (usually right winged/ libertarian) preppers are fine to be skeptical of the government but should not act like terrorist or they can expect to be treated like terrorist. Personally, I think it is complete crap that Canada has a mag limit on rifles of 5 rounds unless its a .22/.22LR. Why cant I have a 30 round magazine on a .223, 5.56, ect. Or even a 60 round mag. The government makes it so hard for criminals to get guns legally with licensing and training. And even though there's no more long arms registry the government still knows that I have a non- restricted and a restricted license. And i'm fine with that... as long as I can have more than 5 rounds for my rifle. And maybe the right to use them to protect my family, my self, and my private property. People take the whole anti- government thing a little to far sometimes and will be considered terrorists. But as long as I can buy guns and ammo, i'm free.
"Trust but verify"- Ronald Reagan
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."- Clint Eastwood

Return to “Ontario”