what's happening with prepping

Entropy
Canada
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Ontario

what's happening with prepping

Post by Entropy » Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 pm

i'm sure that if you go back to the founding of survivalism, that you would see ebbs in interest.
i started in the summer of 2000, and of course at first i had the sense of urgency. i was in college and dirty poor living with my mother. i started with a couple 2L bottles refilled with water, and adding a shelf so we could have more canned goods (that shelf was 6" wide and 3 feet long (it got stacked but it was a humble beginning) i did buy three books when i had some (summer) income in 2002, and did what i could from there.

Emergency food storage and survival handbook by Peggy Layton
The complete disaster home preparation guide by Robert Roskind
preparedness handbook by Jack Spigarelli


having my own place and an actual income really helped my goals Crisis

i found like minded people, some good, some bad, some life long friends and some more like family.
i was on the backwoods home forum, that group split and the gulch was formed. but back in early 2005 i started hanging out with one of the big serious groups, the Alpha Rubicon folks. they were more advanced and took stuff seriously with fact based knowledge. many professions from all fields make it a great network of great minds. the zombie squad seemed to be the other group, and for some reason their seemed to be a rivalary. (some of their members former rubies had issue with the AR founder) II|RC. survival blog seems to still be going strong. but even AR had ups and downs with membership and with activity.

it seems this place was very active until 2015 and seems like it's dropped off a little.

i may not have my finger on the pulse of this place in whole, or even in what's going on over the net (my group was doing our own thing) but it seems there are a lot of people talking (blogs, vlogs, and pod casts) lots of people listening, but not much discussion.

i think shows like doomsday preppers brought some interest, but made most of us look stupid and or dangerous, there were a handful of useful people on there, but then off shoots like doomsday bunkers and america unplugged. then of course the walking dead . . .

but it feels like a massive lull in those out there.
maybe most people just staying grey?
maybe they are afraid to talk about it?
some are active and hold networking classes
there are pros and cons to each extreme

any thoughts of current situation of suvival?


adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Protector
Canada
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Protector » Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 am

People feel alone even in some groups. Almost every prepper I know only has one true prepper in the family. Most "groups" prep separately as well like Denob was saying. Something to the tune of making agreements.

All this means is everyone preps alone and family/ friends/ work and the need for leisure get in the way. People could do things 10 X faster as a community/ MAG But most only have 2 weeks vacation and fight so hard just to survive that driving hours to see someone you nearly know and actually work hard GSD for something that most likely won't last is just not worth it.

So people do what they can alone and don't worry of the odd chance TEOTWAWKI might happen. Prepping is always something to be redone and improved. Then SHTF happens like a job slow down/ illness and you actually use your preps. Food/ water storage goes down, wood gets sold to help someone, car gets old, house needs repairs, other aspects of prepping seem more important and take your time.

Your ashamed of your current state of prepping and hide it. If people meet. They'll meet in restaurants or some brave souls house that's up to date with his prepping. I've even seen cases where we're over for a meeting and they say their preppers but show nothing of prepping besides a gun and a whole lot of talking.

I was mostly speaking of myself for the prepping and life on a homestead is amazing and exhaustive. I find myself making time in lue of sleep for family life. Attitude sucks when I'm exhausted which seems to happen a lot lately. Sometimes a brave face and the will to GSD Just don't seem to be enough. I'm always hopeful that one day I'll be in the group that actually physically helps eachother with time or money. You really just want a brother in arms to fight with you.; and you him. But you'll take anything you can get.

We can get through 3-6 months but would have no pleasure doing so. I prep so my family/ friends don't suffer in an emergency situation but I'm failing as of late. Everyone's busy playing real life monopoly or " living for today". Working overtime/ activities 4 days a week/ do less overtime and get more done but no money to continue advancing. Your community needs you. So you volunteer/ help friends. Sleep is little or non existent. Kids say your never home/ don't have time.

I knew this was going to be a negative post but I want you guys to know your not alone!

Time to Maximize efficiency and especially those mornings/ evenings I'm off with no activities for the kids. No sacrifice! No victory!

User avatar
Wayne
Canada
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Wayne » Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

To begin with, not everyone has the same goals. There are a number of different parameters in-what defines a Prepper. One person accepts the power can go out for a week and prepares for such an eventuality by having enough food, water and candles available to tide the family over. Another might prepare for the Zombie apocalypse feeling he needs to stock 10,000 rounds of ammunition and fortify his home with locks, bars and security systems. Another might look at becoming totally self-sufficient, planting crops and raising livestock. What defines a Prepper can be very different.

Some foresee a nuclear wasteland, pandemic, the end of the world and prepare for home invasion, while others don't. Some worry about EMP, long-range communication, canning, solar power, while others have other concerns. A number look at security: martial arts, firearms, surveillance systems and tactical combat, while others don't see this as a priority. Some endeavour to put together survival groups, while others don't think it's necessary to prepare them for the next 3-day power outage. We each have different priorities.

I've previously posted the question: What type of Prepper are you? The thread didn't get much traction. This is a question that each of us has to answer before we can develop a network of "like-minded" folks.

It's a wonder that Preppers share anything on-line. Especially when some feel everything they type is being monitored 24 hours a day by numerous teams of people representing various international governments and organizations, with the sole purpose of doing them harm. Operational security sometimes is felt to be overkill to some and a natural precaution by others.

I initially thought that a Prepper could be easily defined, but it quickly became obvious that this is not the case. I've come to look at Prepper Blogs and Forums in a similar way as I do when attending a Chinese food buffet. There will be things that I'll place on my plate and other items that I'll pass on. If I look on the plates of other Diners, I'm not surprised to see that what they seek is somewhat different than myself.

We don't all seek the same things. I do however recognize that there are those with expertise that I lack, that I can benefit from. If I can help others with my skill-sets, I'm happy to do so. :-)
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

User avatar
farmgal
Moderator
Canada
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 am
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by farmgal » Sun May 27, 2018 2:45 pm

I think that there are more prepper's then ever to be honest, I just don't think they take the label a lot of the times. The second thing that I find happens a lot is that those that are living in a way that perhaps seen as "farm-homestead-land based" prepping spend more time doing then they do writing on boards.

I am bad for this.. I am trying to get back to writing something daily on my different boards that I enjoy but I set the timer and if it gets there, great, if not.. well the farm calls and I will try on my next time. I know others have expressed the same thing time and again on both this board and in person at meets.

The third thing I find is that many folks will only talk about certain things on boards so it gives a incomplete picture and that goes for boards, blogs, and meet and greets in person. You will not find me on any of the subjects that have to do with rifles, ammo and so forth.. I don't write about it, I don't talk about it. However that does not change that I am off-board a regular at the range.

I believe that most of folks that have been at this for many years are far more well rounded then they show on the board or at a coffee visit or even at their own homes.. I can promise you that even my own MAG group does not know everything I have.. They have been given information like.. Check this? or Go here? I give them the same freedom.. I don't want a detailed list of this or that..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 am
Location: Ottawa area, Ontario
Contact:

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Clarence » Sun May 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Everything said in this topic is bang on. A smorgasbord board or as Wayne said, a Chinese buffet. Agree that many dont like the label of prepper. Reminds them of types they have seen on national geographic etc. Then there is the very real fear they will be branded as some gun nut, which OF COURSE automatically means your some right wing knuckle dragging white homophob supremest. I was reading an new article on gun debates in the US and they referenced a group called pink pistols. A group of gay ... gun owners. http://www.pinkpistols.org/about-the-pink-pistols/ And looked them up out of curiosity ( no I am not) fantastic to see these folks sticking up for their rights and hope and am sure some are members of this board. Something to think about if ever we advertise for a more public meet up! We need allies and support wherever we can get

I had a tech from well known company in California remote in on one of my computers the other week and he noticed this site tab being open. He told me he is a member in California and is getting into ham radios. His big pride and joy seemed to be medical preparations and off roading. He raised the issue of not understanding the ham radio lingo and I told him to reach out and meet some of the older members. Here’s a IT tech and he was baffle gabbed over all the ham lingo! Even his googling of terms was messing him up. Its something we older farts ( speaking of only myself of course) have to remember. We have young and even older people who are just starting to learn about all the tricks of the trade, guns, farming, seeds, preserving in mason jars etc. He was really interested in learning abouIt was truly nice chatting with this guy while he helped with a tech issue and gives me encouragement.

As mentioned, everyone comes at this prepping thing from all different angles and I for one need to practice being less matter of fact on some topics. Gentle and easy as it goes approach will likely help more people then firm opinions.

Warm here near ottawa area and only a few more days of turkey hunting. Will be pickling a good bunch of wild leeks this week. . Cheers

Entropy
Canada
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Entropy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 am

Protector wrote: I prep so my family/ friends don't suffer in an emergency situation but I'm failing as of late. Everyone's busy playing real life monopoly or " living for today". Working overtime/ activities 4 days a week/ do less overtime and get more done but no money to continue advancing. Your community needs you. So you volunteer/ help friends. Sleep is little or non existent. Kids say your never home/ don't have time.

I knew this was going to be a negative post but I want you guys to know your not alone!

Time to Maximize efficiency and especially those mornings/ evenings I'm off with no activities for the kids. No sacrifice! No victory!
you really hit the nail at the end, i too have killed myself with OT, and worked more hours for the last two years then anyone in our corporation, ridiculous hours. while i earned more, and got a massive tax refund. . . . i didn't work any projects, i aquired some gear, and i did take some time off last year at the end of the year. but now i'm killing myself playing catch up on projects and having to cut back on work. money is tight until the rental house sells so every shift i don't work means more debt, and every task done means more debt. (please sell fast)

but YOU prep for FAMILY!
and in that there is YOU, and PREPPING, and you family says your not there. you need to find that balance. (pot/kettle/black/i know) but lack of balance has lead to me being tired and grumpy and still out of balance with work vs money vs projects.

if FAMILY is the goal, then how can you make them part of all this so you can be more family guy. (you have to say no to someone/some where)
i know the feeling though. . . . pick up two extra nights have two off before your 3 more and they call you for each of those days. april damn near killed me. work doesn't care how much it hurts you, and they will be the first to point out when you screw up because you're burning out. step back for a few good thoughts on this bro.
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Entropy
Canada
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Entropy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:12 am

Wayne wrote:To begin with, not everyone has the same goals. There are a number of different parameters in-what defines a Prepper.

I initially thought that a Prepper could be easily defined, but it quickly became obvious that this is not the case. I've come to look at Prepper Blogs and Forums in a similar way as I do when attending a Chinese food buffet. There will be things that I'll place on my plate and other items that I'll pass on. If I look on the plates of other Diners, I'm not surprised to see that what they seek is somewhat different than myself.

We don't all seek the same things. I do however recognize that there are those with expertise that I lack, that I can benefit from. If I can help others with my skill-sets, I'm happy to do so. :-)
very good point to start, and very true. where i started is very different there where i ended up.
i pointed those three books. the first one i read was all about happy food and water storage, candles and back up heat (more of course, but all happy positive stuff) i loved the vibe and that's the book i give people to introduce them to what i do. the next one talked more on firearms, and the third one was much more agressive with secutity and use of force. i didn't like those ideas so much back then and it was a couple years before i even took firearm ownship seriously. while i prep for most things, and have the gear for it, my focus is lost of job, or economic down turn, or food issues. while not a mormon the old teachers weren't prep for a bad year, it was prep for 7 bad years and if you look at history, there were lots of times there were more then just a few bad years. (i also have a few zombie tools, but they also work well in the garden or around the farm

i love the chinese food buffet idea. . . i laughed to myself and thought "damn i like you wayne"

cheers!
Attachments
image.png
image.png (662 Bytes) Viewed 1612 times
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Entropy
Canada
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Entropy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:29 am

farmgal wrote:I think that there are more prepper's then ever to be honest, I just don't think they take the label a lot of the times. The second thing that I find happens a lot is that those that are living in a way that perhaps seen as "farm-homestead-land based" prepping spend more time doing then they do writing on boards.

I am bad for this.. I am trying to get back to writing something daily on my different boards that I enjoy but I set the timer and if it gets there, great, if not.. well the farm calls and I will try on my next time. I know others have expressed the same thing time and again on both this board and in person at meets.

The third thing I find is that many folks will only talk about certain things on boards so it gives a incomplete picture and that goes for boards, blogs, and meet and greets in person. You will not find me on any of the subjects that have to do with rifles, ammo and so forth.. I don't write about it, I don't talk about it. However that does not change that I am off-board a regular at the range.

I believe that most of folks that have been at this for many years are far more well rounded then they show on the board or at a coffee visit or even at their own homes.. I can promise you that even my own MAG group does not know everything I have.. They have been given information like.. Check this? or Go here? I give them the same freedom.. I don't want a detailed list of this or that..
many good points, and these prepper fairs that have been showing up is something else.
and at Canwarn, i've gone for years, (part of the group i was in requirements) and it was usually 20-30 people and 80% HAMS. but last year in owen sound they broke the record with about 275 or 300 people. . . this year is reported to have broken that record again. it was a massive group. and while it's not about survivalism it's self, it's about weather which most of the preppers i know monitor and record the weather on their farms/homesteads. . . so there might be more out there, but maybe this isn't the place for them.

my MAG was family, and while no blood they were family. the extended MAG was family. but the one left, the other moved away, and just resently i lost my best friend, and long term mentor/mentee. it was a give and take relactionship. same with my friend in the US. i never left without more gear and skills then when i showed up. but again, he's family.

met some new guys, my one friend (the one that just passed) said be careful, i kept things guarded, i didn't offer my last name, i didn't offer much in where my farm was, i'm a very private person (not that if you really tired couldn't dig stuff up) but these guys are growing on me, and i do feel much more comfortable with them (except that protector guy, it's a little funny lol )

all the preppers in the US that i chum with, all of them are like family too. some i wouldn't bug out with, but others id stand between evil and their kids. those relationships have been the best ones i've had and they are the standard i hold the world too. . . the world often lets me down.
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Entropy
Canada
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Entropy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 am

Clarence wrote:Everything said in this topic is bang on. A smorgasbord board or as Wayne said, a Chinese buffet. Agree that many dont like the label of prepper. Reminds them of types they have seen on national geographic etc. Then there is the very real fear they will be branded as some gun nut, which OF COURSE automatically means your some right wing knuckle dragging white homophob supremest. I was reading an new article on gun debates in the US and they referenced a group called pink pistols. A group of gay ... gun owners. http://www.pinkpistols.org/about-the-pink-pistols/ And looked them up out of curiosity ( no I am not) fantastic to see these folks sticking up for their rights and hope and am sure some are members of this board. Something to think about if ever we advertise for a more public meet up! We need allies and support wherever we can get

I had a tech from well known company in California remote in on one of my computers the other week and he noticed this site tab being open. He told me he is a member in California and is getting into ham radios. His big pride and joy seemed to be medical preparations and off roading. He raised the issue of not understanding the ham radio lingo and I told him to reach out and meet some of the older members. Here’s a IT tech and he was baffle gabbed over all the ham lingo! Even his googling of terms was messing him up. Its something we older farts ( speaking of only myself of course) have to remember. We have young and even older people who are just starting to learn about all the tricks of the trade, guns, farming, seeds, preserving in mason jars etc. He was really interested in learning abouIt was truly nice chatting with this guy while he helped with a tech issue and gives me encouragement.

As mentioned, everyone comes at this prepping thing from all different angles and I for one need to practice being less matter of fact on some topics. Gentle and easy as it goes approach will likely help more people then firm opinions.

Warm here near ottawa area and only a few more days of turkey hunting. Will be pickling a good bunch of wild leeks this week. . Cheers
i may be a knuckle dragging right wing nut job, but i hate everyone equally. i was accused of being hateful to a group . . . i was pointing out issues i had with this "group" . . . was not the group but the history, and foundation it stands on… what bugs me is things like trump speaks out against MS13 and everyone jumps out of the woodwork saying it supports the KKK. (while, trump isn't my issue, and it's not the point of this at all) but i have heard and can find many clips of Trump speaking against them. but CNN likes to spin their spin. . . you can disagree and not be a bigot. not being pro gay doesn't make you anti gay. being pro life doesn't mean you're a asshole standing on a corner or yelling at crying women post abortion calling them "fucking baby killers" i'm prolife, and i've given drugs to end pregnancy for the mothers health, i've given the same care and support i give any patient. (support meaning supporting and helping them thru it) it's not my job to make someone feel bad, even with it disagrees with my believes. if someone came in wanting the drug because they were irrisponsible, and may it not being the first time, i'd refuse to give it, and someone else would. (i do have to live with myself) i still wouldn't be an asshole to them.

the world is so angry. . . i use to enjoy facebook and memes, i have some good friends that brighten my day on there, but damn i can't even go on there, i really am sick of the few people that bring the hate all the time.

it's always great to be around like minded people, it does give a boost and motivation. i need more of that in my life right now.

thank you for the thoughts.
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Clarence
Canada
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 am
Location: Ottawa area, Ontario
Contact:

Re: what's happening with prepping

Post by Clarence » Mon May 28, 2018 5:09 am

Entropy wrote:
Clarence wrote:Everything said in this topic is bang on. A smorgasbord board or as Wayne said, a Chinese buffet. Agree that many dont like the label of prepper. Reminds them of types they have seen on national geographic etc. Then there is the very real fear they will be branded as some gun nut, which OF COURSE automatically means your some right wing knuckle dragging white homophob supremest. I was reading an new article on gun debates in the US and they referenced a group called pink pistols. A group of gay ... gun owners. http://www.pinkpistols.org/about-the-pink-pistols/ And looked them up out of curiosity ( no I am not) fantastic to see these folks sticking up for their rights and hope and am sure some are members of this board. Something to think about if ever we advertise for a more public meet up! We need allies and support wherever we can get

I had a tech from well known company in California remote in on one of my computers the other week and he noticed this site tab being open. He told me he is a member in California and is getting into ham radios. His big pride and joy seemed to be medical preparations and off roading. He raised the issue of not understanding the ham radio lingo and I told him to reach out and meet some of the older members. Here’s a IT tech and he was baffle gabbed over all the ham lingo! Even his googling of terms was messing him up. Its something we older farts ( speaking of only myself of course) have to remember. We have young and even older people who are just starting to learn about all the tricks of the trade, guns, farming, seeds, preserving in mason jars etc. He was really interested in learning abouIt was truly nice chatting with this guy while he helped with a tech issue and gives me encouragement.

As mentioned, everyone comes at this prepping thing from all different angles and I for one need to practice being less matter of fact on some topics. Gentle and easy as it goes approach will likely help more people then firm opinions.

Warm here near ottawa area and only a few more days of turkey hunting. Will be pickling a good bunch of wild leeks this week. . Cheers
i may be a knuckle dragging right wing nut job, but i hate everyone equally. i was accused of being hateful to a group . . . i was pointing out issues i had with this "group" . . . was not the group but the history, and foundation it stands on… what bugs me is things like trump speaks out against MS13 and everyone jumps out of the woodwork saying it supports the KKK. (while, trump isn't my issue, and it's not the point of this at all) but i have heard and can find many clips of Trump speaking against them. but CNN likes to spin their spin. . . you can disagree and not be a bigot. not being pro gay doesn't make you anti gay. being pro life doesn't mean you're a asshole standing on a corner or yelling at crying women post abortion calling them "fucking baby killers" i'm prolife, and i've given drugs to end pregnancy for the mothers health, i've given the same care and support i give any patient. (support meaning supporting and helping them thru it) it's not my job to make someone feel bad, even with it disagrees with my believes. if someone came in wanting the drug because they were irrisponsible, and may it not being the first time, i'd refuse to give it, and someone else would. (i do have to live with myself) i still wouldn't be an asshole to them.

the world is so angry. . . i use to enjoy facebook and memes, i have some good friends that brighten my day on there, but damn i can't even go on there, i really am sick of the few people that bring the hate all the time.

it's always great to be around like minded people, it does give a boost and motivation. i need more of that in my life right now.

thank you for the thoughts.
Yep, agree. You don’t have to be pro this or that to accept people or there thoughts. Far to much pigeon holeing going on. As preppers, I view being able to see or analyze situations as important as how many beans I have stocked. If a black gay person or white nut job wish to prep, go for it and power to them. Hopefully they can meet one fine day and find common ground to build upon and work together. Cheers.

Post Reply

Return to “Ontario”