Rail Disruptions & Shortages

PrepHer
Canada

Rail Disruptions & Shortages

Post by PrepHer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Time to stock up ASAP. Freight is sitting idle and not getting to retailers.
In addition, China is basically on lockdown and a good number of factories are shut down due to the Covid-19 epidemic. Many products produced in Canada are made with foreign (aka Chinese) sourced 'ingredients'/parts.
It's expected that the WHO will declare a global pandemic soon.
THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO STIMULATE DEBATE ABOUT INDEGENOUS OR COLONIAL RIGHTS. THANKS

Clarence
Canada

Re: Rail Disruptions & Shortages

Post by Clarence » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 am

Agreed, it’s almost always about the outcome of actions or inaction that we most often need to focus on right away.
Understanding The background causes, triggers or profiles do aid and can be a great help in understanding the future, but immediate is immediate.

PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:30 pm

It’s amazing on how little we are hearing on main media about small and medium sized companies and the shortages in supplies or ability to export goods. It mainly seems centered around passenger travel. But lots of businesses are hurting.

Besides the immediate concerns, the take away should be on potential future impacts to supply chain and this from a wide range of natural or man made disasters.

Be good to keep this forum informed on things people are finding in short supply. As we will not obtain from media, we would all benefit by what people are seeing on the ground.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:01 pm

We are getting some local info here due to the blockade in St-Lambert. A local business there is about to lay off 20 people because he can't get his raw materials delivered...you guessed it, by train.
We have also notices some empty spaces on shelves at our regular grocery stores. Nothing too drastic yet, but it's showing.
Quebec will likely be yelling about propane soon too if this isn't figured out.

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Propane; residential supply in Quebec is good for another 2-3 weeks. Farmers are pooched in 7-10 days.
Warehouses across the east are getting low on stock. Expect to start feeling it in 10-14 days. Companies like Tenaquip, wurth, provigo etc will have exhausted their supplies shortly.
Layoffs will start very soon, many employees have already been warned.

Amazon is hurting, the owner has sold billions in shares in the last 2 weeks.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:53 pm

good info, i am sure some small businesses are hurting and not getting the media attention they need. feel real bad for people and small businesses in need. not funny at all !

Not sure if people noticed but three of the recent train derailments, appear to be from sabotage! two of them in Saskatchewan were close by and involved oil. a new one just occurred in Quebec.

for those with a sensitive soul to Breitbart, just read the article, it almost always comes from reputable sources

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/0 ... -sabotage/

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Nagol wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Propane; residential supply in Quebec is good for another 2-3 weeks. Farmers are pooched in 7-10 days.
Warehouses across the east are getting low on stock. Expect to start feeling it in 10-14 days. Companies like Tenaquip, wurth, provigo etc will have exhausted their supplies shortly.
Layoffs will start very soon, many employees have already been warned.

Amazon is hurting, the owner has sold billions in shares in the last 2 weeks.
I wouldn't put much stock in Bezos selling shares as a sign that amazon is hurting. On the freight side it seems like the seacans we are expecting from BC port are making their way here. Glad we have nothing coming in through Halifax though.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 am

I was exchanging e mails with the distributor of my electric bike, seems production of all his models have been shut down, he still has some stock to sell but has been told that production isn't set to resume until the end of the month. Once they start the production lines up again I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the first batches of product from a line that's not been producing for a while.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 am
I was exchanging e mails with the distributor of my electric bike, seems production of all his models have been shut down, he still has some stock to sell but has been told that production isn't set to resume until the end of the month. Once they start the production lines up again I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the first batches of product from a line that's not been producing for a while.
Good point. If one can wait to purchase something, it may be a good plan.

Return to “Ontario”