New to this...

caper223
Canada

New to this...

Post by caper223 »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make a post to see how many others are in NS and CBI. I'm very new to prepping but I wanted to make a network of people in these surrounding areas. I think in particular it would be important to establish a radio communication between everyone. I am considering taking my Amateur radio licence, but I wanted to see what others are using before I take to the course.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: New to this...

Post by Denob »

Welcome caper223
Ham radio is a great idea and taking a course and getting your license is the first step anyone should take.
One thing you will learn in the course is that ham radio is not magical.
There will be times it works well, and times it won't.
If you're looking to pic up a ham radio and have a chat with other preppers from all corners of the country at once, that likely won't work out.
HOWEVER...
establishing a network of hams coast to coast, where one ham in the maratimes could get in touch with one from Quebec, then Quebec to Ontario, then Ontario to Manitoba...all the way to BC just might work!
You must start with the basic license. If you pass with a 70% you get to use VHF and UHF bands. This will give you local comms. If you score an 80% or better, you get access to the HF bands, which is what would be needed for this idea to work.
Lee Enfield
Canada

Re: New to this...

Post by Lee Enfield »

caper223 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:42 am Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make a post to see how many others are in NS and CBI. I'm very new to prepping but I wanted to make a network of people in these surrounding areas. I think in particular it would be important to establish a radio communication between everyone. I am considering taking my Amateur radio licence, but I wanted to see what others are using before I take to the course.

Welcome Caper, ExHAMiner is a good tool to use when studying for your radio license. Many counties have a radio club and some offer courses.
"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

Return to “Nova Scotia”