Firearms

ndn

Re: Firearms

Post by ndn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:33 pm

MelbournePrepper95 wrote:Recently been looking into buying a firearm, preferably a a rifle or shotgun as pistols take a long time to acquire and come with heavier restrictions. Welcome to any suggestions, cheers.

semi autos are bad to learn on not as accurate as a bolt or leaver action,some of your accuracy is lost from the gasses use to eject the bullet .

Thank you

NDN

Blacksheep
Canada

Post by Blacksheep » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:51 pm

MelbournePrepper95 wrote:
Perfesser wrote:Perhaps you misunderstand what I meant. By "repeating rifle" I meant one that has either a tubular or box magazine that holds a few cartridges. You still have to work the action, bolt or pump or lever to chamber each round.
If semi-auto rifles (one shot per trigger pull) are banned well that's just stupid but they aren't the best choice for a first gun anyway. You'll learn to shoot better(aim carefully) with something other than a semi-auto.
I like the idea of lining up a shot rather than just holding down the trigger anyway. But yeah, no semi-auto's here. :D

Just holding down the trigger won't do you any good . It's not a machine gun .

Blacksheep
Canada

Post by Blacksheep » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:54 pm

ndn wrote:
MelbournePrepper95 wrote:Recently been looking into buying a firearm, preferably a a rifle or shotgun as pistols take a long time to acquire and come with heavier restrictions. Welcome to any suggestions, cheers.

semi autos are bad to learn on not as accurate as a bolt or leaver action,some of your accuracy is lost from the gasses use to eject the bullet .

Actually Ruger 10/22's can be very accurate . You do need to try a few different brands of ammo for best results .But you need to do this with a bolt action rimfire too .

Jimbo Jones
Fiji

Post by Jimbo Jones » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 am

[/quote] semi autos are bad to learn on not as accurate as a bolt or leaver action,some of your accuracy is lost from the gasses use to eject the bullet .[/quote]

how much accuracy ? I shoot a fair bit and a semi auto vs bolt and at closer ranges , under 500m its hard to tell the difference. It's only when you get over that the bolt gains any real advantage.

For .22lr Ruger 10/22 vs Ruger Classic Rimfire Theres no real difference between the 2 for accuracy lots of YOUTUBES on them. In my lock up there has been Rugers Mossbergs GSGs Savages Anschutz .. It's only when you start spending real money 800+USD it makes a difference. find something that fits you and it should be good

Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 pm

ndn wrote:

semi autos are ...not as accurate as a bolt ...some of your accuracy is lost from the gasses use to eject the bullet .
This use to be the case, but all hyper-range shooting today uses light 50's which are all semi-automatic. The advantage of the Bolt (as I see it) is that you have no ejection/feed problems / jams (although I wouldn't call these a common occurrence). The semi has an advantage on multiple targets if it doesn't jam. After several thousand rounds of practice with a Bolt, you can become pretty quick on target with a zero chance of feed failure.
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

Gallowshumour
Canada

Post by Gallowshumour » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 am

You have to look at firearms like they’re tools, because they are. Decide what job is paramount to your prepper situation and get the firearm that’ll be the best fit for that job.

Not knowing what your needs are, what your budget restrictions are, and what legal restrictions you might face, these are my recommendations:

If your primary concern is hunting animals for food, look at getting a couple of combo guns. In that category I’d recommend a .22LR over .410, and a .308 over 12GA. Baikal, a Russian manufacturer, makes guns in those calibers/gauge. Savage Arms also makes a combo model (the Model 42) in .22LR or .22WMR over .410. Break-breach rifles are simple, reliable, and easy to clean. You can also carry them loaded fairly safely by carrying it in open-breach position, closing the action only when you close in on your game. With two firearms you have four rounds that should cover most game. You’ll have .22LR/.410 for small game and birds, and .308/12GA for large game and birds.

If protection is your concern, and your government allows it, look at getting a shotgun, and a rifle in the increasingly popular category of scout rifle. For the shotgun, I’d go for a 12GA in the pump-action family. Make sure you get a shotgun that is threaded for chokes – like the Remington 870 Tactical – so you can also you use it as a bird gun (some tactical shotguns aren’t threaded for chokes). In the scout rifle range, there is the Ruger Gunsite Scout (expensive, especially spare mags), the Mossberg MVP Patrol, and the Savage Model 11 Scout. All those scout rifles are .308-caliber, short-barrelled bolt-action rifles with 10-round detachable box magazines. Each is also equipped with a Picatinney rail for mounting long eye-relief optics. The MVP Patrol is also offered in .223 Remington. In Canada you can’t get the MVP Patrol with a 10-round magazine (it’s five rounds max). I believe that is because that rifle uses magazines from restricted rifles in Canada, so you can’t have them here.

Regardless of what you buy, you should have at least one .22LR in your collection. My favorite is the Marlin XT22TSR. It’s a bolt-action rifle with a tubular magazine. It’ll eat .22LR, .22 Longs, and .22 shorts, but not .22 Magnum.

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”