Pandemic

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
PrepHer
Canada

Pandemic

Post by PrepHer »

You have to watch this amazing BBC Documentary "Pandemic"............ Wow! Pay attention at 33:34 minutes and the Preppers ........
http://www.youtube.com/embed/6GTclTRQvLw

WildernessReturn

Re: Pandemic

Post by WildernessReturn »

it was a fairly good documentary.
The explanation on why the bird flue, jumping species and the bodies overreaction was quite clearly stated and scary at the same time.
the preppers were ok!
underprepared
Canada

Post by underprepared »

Good video! I like watching videos while I'm (supposed to be) working. I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to eat MRE's for four months. Still, the video brings up and reinforces the problem of the delay between pandemic and vaccination. It seems that the new H7N9 is transmittable from human to human, although currently at a very low rate. If that virus manages to improve it's viability in transmission then we've got a problem. That particular virus doesn't seem to elicit a strong immune response from its human host, therefore our bodies aren't recognizing it as a threat until the infection has really taken over. If you can't get your body to create antibodies to fight the active infection, then you can't get your body to build resistance to a non-active form of the virus in a vaccination.
Hmmmm.....
livingpower

Post by livingpower »

I will definitely take a look at this video later, AFTER I am done working ;-) There is also MERS, the new SARS-like virus found in the Middle East, which appears to have a higher fatality rate, at 50% of known cases. This also appears to be transmitted person-to-person slightly easier than H7N9. Plus, the month of Haj in October will see millions of people flock to Saudi Arabia for pilgrimage and if they don't have things under control, it could have devastating effects if these pilgrims then bring the disease back to their countries of residence.
Syn

Post by Syn »

Certainly being prepared for all these different things does overlap; having some basic medical supplies , linens , sundries , food and water...
I was firstly thinking what I would need to get through a flu ( not even one requiring hospitalization ) coursing through a family say over a months time , then I think it merely touched on the implications of what happens when people do not show up for work . When hospital staff cannot deal with it, when police , delivery truckers , firemen, sanitation workers , electrical linesmen , all those parties that make our world what it is , do not shop up to do their jobs. Just sanitation I should think there would be an increased amount of rodents and insects to deal with ? It seems to me that this requires a lot deeper thinking .
What happens when nuclear plant staff don't show up or work? Do they have contingency planning to keep teams of staff provided for on site to keep them running say through a pandemic ?
PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer »

I think that this documentary has been successful in stimulating thought and even discussion about all the points you've made Syn. The BBC would need a series of documentaries to cover ALL the scenerios...... ;)
PrepHer
Canada

Post by PrepHer »

Just in "The CDC Preparing for H7N9 Pandemic": http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/cdc-p ... log.net%29
livingpower

Post by livingpower »

So now apparently the H7N9 virus has become resistant to our anti-viral flu treatments so we have no defence against it. With the warm months here, they think it is not over, but could come back when fall and winter comes again. If that happens and with no drugs to counter it the S might HTF.
frugalcanadaprepper

Post by frugalcanadaprepper »

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2013_06_05/en/index.html

World Health Organization Middle East Respiratory Syndrome update. Of 54 infected, 30 are dead. Dr.`s office in town had a notice that if you are experiencing respiratory problems and have recently been to or have come in contact with anyone from the Middle East to phone them before entering to take appropriate cautions.

Eeekkkk. :shock:
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
livingpower

Post by livingpower »

AND, frugalcanadaprepper, there will be millions flocking to the Middle East this fall for the Islamic Hajj, increasing the risk of spreading the disease worldwide. Another eeeekkkkk! :shock:

Return to “Disaster Alert”