Pandemic

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
Clarence

Re: Pandemic

Post by Clarence »

Syn wrote: Sun May 26, 2013 7:27 pm Certainly being prepared for all these different things does overlap; having some basic medical supplies , linens , sundries , food and water...
I was firstly thinking what I would need to get through a flu ( not even one requiring hospitalization ) coursing through a family say over a months time , then I think it merely touched on the implications of what happens when people do not show up for work . When hospital staff cannot deal with it, when police , delivery truckers , firemen, sanitation workers , electrical linesmen , all those parties that make our world what it is , do not shop up to do their jobs. Just sanitation I should think there would be an increased amount of rodents and insects to deal with ? It seems to me that this requires a lot deeper thinking .
What happens when nuclear plant staff don't show up or work? Do they have contingency planning to keep teams of staff provided for on site to keep them running say through a pandemic ?
Came across your post ( hope your still around and active). Well you nailed things real good back in 2013👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 It’s one of the things that many people are learning these dayS

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Looks like Europe may be looking at the second wave. If the case, will we be visited for end of September..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... April.html

Some interesting events going on with the timings around CERB, Prorogation of government. Could be just a coincidence and some may say due to the WE scandal but I think it’s more likely a result of anticipated new wave of shutdowns, financial initiatives and preparing for A long fall, winter, spring and summer. Any scandals will be quickly forgotten if that wave crashes ashore.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

In Ontario, cases are jumping up, over 400 reported today. Premier shrank personal group sizes in ottawa, TO and peel region.

Ottawa health said it looks like we are in second wave

Despite decades of being told what is needed to handle emergencies, the fools in charge ( nice description) don’t only not have enough test centres, they have people lined up outside from 05:00 to try and get in. By 09:00 this morning they had already reached max capacity :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops:

Silly open party tents are being used to screen and test people.
Here’s a hint ! Cease all sports and use the arenas.... call a real estate firm and ask if you can rent a warehouse space............ “Atco” type trailers One uses for temp school classes ( there’s a hint why we can’t plan properly) could have been setup this summer and be able to handle people in a safe, warm and dry environment. So easy to do it’s laughable. Guess the geniuses haven’t figured out it will rain, be cold, snow.... any day now and must think we are in the desert or something. Result will be people just won’t show up in a storm or cold and just stay home and spread the love. “Oh it’s likely just a little cold dear, let’s go out and get some cough syrup and some lettuce!

We are still allowing international flights and of course domestic ones as well.

We had all summer to prep for the easy to predict second wave and instead we look like a laurel and hardy skit.

Hope people have their stuff organized because I wouldn’t want to be counting on those in charge. It’s going to be a longggg fall, winter, spring and summer. Let’s not forget there will likely be three waves and the second and third should be worse then the first.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

Same thing here in Quebec, over 400 cases per day for almost a week now.
Second wave begins now.(actually about a week ago)
Quebec is putting restrictions on a region by region basis instead of closing down the whole province.
We adopted a color coding system, green, yellow, orange, and red. Pretty self explanitory.
Still have lots of repair projects around the house, but the lumber yards are not cooperating.
I haven't been able to buy a pressure treated 4 x 4 in 2 months.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Cracks me up.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/covid-19- ... d-washing/

Why does it crack me up? Because it was easy to predict and therefore plan for.

We can’t even get people off the streets and elements for testing. Not enough tests, feds are sitting on quick test process that many G8 nations are using. We still allow international and domestic travel! Seriously, allow people from high number provinces like quebec and ontario to travel to other cities is to be polite, moronic.

Guessing the fools will eventually wake up but till then, our poor planning and beyond slow, poorly communicated and disjointed response will continue the exasperate the situation and lead to people trusting less and less what they are told. In security type world, credibility of ones source/s is key.

So will the soon to maybe be released vaccines, that haven’t undergone proper testing from companies held harmless for any and all reactions be effective for this new strain or will we need to restart? Guessing the untested vaccines may help, but is the cost worth it? Talking hundreds of billions here. Fake printed money that people will need to pay back but could have been better spent more intelligently.

It’s a clown show on steroids, buckle up your efforts because the rides going to start getting weird and very bumpy
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

relative in Quebec informed me that discussion was heard on the radio about shutting down some visitor traffic on the montreal to laurentians Highway, a sort of check point Charley / “Claude”

Quebec pulled that back in the spring for a bit on major routes between ontario and Quebec so guessing they are even pondering it for inner province traffic..perhaps Denob can enlighten. Daily case count was over 800 yesterday

Keep the Ears up for anyone thinking of making a break for it, things happen fast at times and there are often little hints if you pay attention, discard old preconceptions and are willing to gamble a bit. People may laugh at you if there are some false alarms but I prefer that to the alternative.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

Clarence wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:41 pm relative in Quebec informed me that discussion was heard on the radio about shutting down some visitor traffic on the montreal to laurentians Highway, a sort of check point Charley / “Claude”

Quebec pulled that back in the spring for a bit on major routes between ontario and Quebec so guessing they are even pondering it for inner province traffic..perhaps Denob can enlighten. Daily case count was over 800 yesterday

Keep the Ears up for anyone thinking of making a break for it, things happen fast at times and there are often little hints if you pay attention, discard old preconceptions and are willing to gamble a bit. People may laugh at you if there are some false alarms but I prefer that to the alternative.
This would come as no surprise. Yesterday's case count was closer to 900 (896).
These are figures that we saw in the height of the first wave. The difference now is the extremely low death/hospitalizaation/ICU rate.
In any case, yes, Quebec did in fact have road closures between regions last time around, so it would come as no surprise if they did it again.
I suspect however that any restrictions like that would be targeted very specifically to "red zones".

If you are thinking of going to a BOL, make sure you know the back road routes, and if you make the decision to go...go fast and without hesitation.

Update Sept.29 - Yesterday it was confirmed that 3 regions in Quebec went Red Alert, Montreal area being one of them. For now, travel OUT of red zones is "strongly discouraged" but not restricted in any way. When asked about police road closures in and out of these areas, the response was that there are not for now, but that officers could be placed on major roads to inform travelers of the danger.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Denob wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:45 pm
Clarence wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:41 pm relative in Quebec informed me that discussion was heard on the radio about shutting down some visitor traffic on the montreal to laurentians Highway, a sort of check point Charley / “Claude”

This would come as no surprise. Yesterday's case count was closer to 900 (896).
These are figures that we saw in the height of the first wave. The difference now is the extremely low death/hospitalizaation/ICU rate.
In any case, yes, Quebec did in fact have road closures between regions last time around, so it would come as no surprise if they did it again.
I suspect however that any restrictions like that would be targeted very specifically to "red zones".

If you are thinking of going to a BOL, make sure you know the back road routes, and if you make the decision to go...go fast and without hesitation.

Update Sept.29 - Yesterday it was confirmed that 3 regions in Quebec went Red Alert, Montreal area being one of them. For now, travel OUT of red zones is "strongly discouraged" but not restricted in any way. When asked about police road closures in and out of these areas, the response was that there are not for now, but that officers could be placed on major roads to inform travelers of the danger.
I am guessing that within two weeks the ontario border along with Laurentian Autoroute and the 10 to eastern townships will have checkpoints. what with Fall color tourists and various hunting seasons.

look at doing dry runs on the back roads Denob mentions, use a few GPS units to log any route/s Same if you plan on using an ATV or sled. trees and flooded swamps may mess with off road trails you were fine with this summer.

make sure the vehicles are all in as good a shape as one can afford, spare tire can be accessed and not stuck with mug and stone like mine once was :oops: :evil: Speaking of which, maybe put those winter tires on NOW, i plan on doing that in next week or so.

yep, get ready to spend the winter, spring and maybe the better part of the summer of 21 in a second location. the second wave the ignoramuses in charge are acting all shocked about will very likely see a third wave this spring.

lots of people are going to be in a world of pain this coming year, ticked over no Christmas cheer or family visitations, angry, broke, depressed, ill from maladies they cant get treated at the hospital, snowbirds stuck freezing in Canada this winter, maybe an election come spring, extremely high unemployment, a national debt that no one really seems to care about or understand or be willing to discuss, organized crime will make some good coin and gain influence...

road closures will be small potatoes when compared to the rest that will occur but yes, do not hesitate to go when the time strikes and be wise about route selection, fuel along the way, be friendly to locals when you stop and tank up, make sure you buy stuff from that gas station even if you don't need it. it helps keep them happy and maybe not reporting you.

maybe because you don't hunt, you have never been to the remote location during hunting season, but you may bump into some of those folks this fall, some may even be hunting on your property all these years and you never even knew it, well be ready for a surprise and possibly an unfriendly one at that if you take a dislike to their truck blocking your private road while the "boys" are out and about with a few drinks in them and you are sitting there fuming mad. These folks may also decide to hang out at their camp this winter so thats another potential surprise. Unless one really reconnoiters the area during different seasons, you never get a good grasp on who is just over the hill.

happy 20/21
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

Well the checkpoints are now up around red zones in Quebec.
At this point in time, they are informing and discouraging travel between regions and no actual travel restrictions are in place
...yet.
I think it's a matter of time (and not necessarily a lot of time) before that changes.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Does anyone know where we can find "COVID Maps" for each provinces?

I may end up having to do some travels (by helicopter) across the country and would like to be able to choose my fuel spots based on educated choices.

Return to “Disaster Alert”