Buffalo Storm

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
Knuckle

Re: Buffalo Storm

Post by Knuckle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Goldie wrote:Things are looking pretty good there Knuckle !!! When do we all move in , looks nice and secluded there :twisted:
Love your vehicles !!!! :D
That's not what i expected from a southerner :lol: . I figured all the snow would scare you off. The problem is that you can't see all the trees here because of all the trees in the way.... :roll: But land is cheap and plenty available. A friend just bought 132 acres with a brand new 900 SqFt house for $132,000 and a 1KW solar array with batteries included.... lucky bugger!

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 am

another stupid question - how long of a ladder would I need to reach 3 stories?

Knuckle

Post by Knuckle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 am

oldschool wrote:another stupid question - how long of a ladder would I need to reach 3 stories?
I don't envy you that task. The rake would suck big time unless you were on a scaffold. The fall would not be something your walking away from no matter how much of a snowbank you fell into. I'm betting a rope across the eve and a safety harness would be the best bet and this job given to someone younger than yourself. Time to pull out the wallet maybe...

villager
Canada

Post by villager » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:36 am

I agree with that, knuckle.Way too risky, and that from a guy who has taken many (mostly calculated) risks. I don't have to go on the roof anymore.
This is not the best time to implement for you, O School, but i have dealt with inadequate roof structure in the attic years ago by installing supportive 2x4's from the supporting walls locations, on a 2x6 plate, on the floor of the attic....up to the roof rafters....first attaching a 2x6 plate onto the bottom side of the rafters to help equalize the load, and then fasten the supports at both ends into the top and bottom plates. This is effectively close to building trusses .Of course it helps to have 2-3 helpers as you shift crawling-planks around to avoid going thru the ceiling , while someone else cuts the lengths/angles as you shout them out, and passes them to you.
Rent a paslode framing nailer and shoot them in place. All done 1 day.(or screw them in with a battery driver.)
This should be done when there is no load on the roof.

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Thank you

Villager - I have to admit building a home or changing a home to add snow load to a structure never occurred to me.

Return to “Disaster Alert”