2019-nCoV

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
Clarence
Canada

Re: 2019-nCoV

Post by Clarence » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:23 pm

Local Walmart and liquor store looks like chr shopping.
Only One bag of rice left, a few bags of pasta. Guessing they were damaged and left behind. Oddly enough, no large nacho chips?
Many other shelves were looking thin and like I said, the panic was palpable, both inside and even out in the parking lot. Liquor store panic started yesterday. One guy was looking for some cheap liquor to use for hand sanitation. While I was laughing, I was glad to get away from the folks peppercorn calls the herd.

Family member called to say fire marshal had closed the bar haven costco due to lines.

Walmart usually gets 100 car orders a week, it’s now over 100 a day and they are backlogged for two days right now.

Gas station at 2:00 PM looked like it was Friday evening before a long summer weekend. Two cars per lane waiting to get in.

Been hearing all manner of reports on radio about this and that closing down.

Should be a riot this weekend.

As people start to stay home, the trickle down effect should be serious. Things we all rely upon, will due to absence of quality people start to slow down and then ultimately fail. Just guessing of course.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:34 pm

This morning Quebec closed all schools for 2 weeks, and then they will reevaluate.
10 minutes after that the wife's boss closed the office "until further notice" and instructed all employees to work from home.
That was it for me...trigger pulled, plan implemented.
A few hours later, panic at the stores, and a general degradation of society.
Gotta say, I think I timed it perfectly.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:58 am

Denob, good plan! In my post below, I forgot to mention they had police at the Costco in veudreil quebec today. Friend called to let me know. Just to help keep the herds behaving.

Friend told me Kingston Costco was sane but people seemed to be “focused or on a mission type approach”

My fathers diabetes meds have been limited to one month supply

Watching questions on the number of ventilators in the US and the useless idiot talking heads refuse to answer what is a very simply question. Usual baffle gab BS responses. Wonder how many of the units we will need to use for critical care that we have in Canada? Not the average ones but those in use for this type of lung failure. .??

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Spoke to my DR's secretary for a 1 month, 1 time script for my cholesterol meds. Was told no problem, just have pharmacy fax the request and the doc would sign it no problem.
Well, problem...pharmacy wouldn't do it simply because they don't have the inventory.
All we could get was a two week supply because we told them we were going out of town.
They only keep enough inventory to supply the community for two weeks.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Denob wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Spoke to my DR's secretary for a 1 month, 1 time script for my cholesterol meds. Was told no problem, just have pharmacy fax the request and the doc would sign it no problem.
Well, problem...pharmacy wouldn't do it simply because they don't have the inventory.
All we could get was a two week supply because we told them we were going out of town.
They only keep enough inventory to supply the community for two weeks.
Just In Time inventory.... Works well all the time, except during crisis.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Holy snap there is going to be a lot of this starting to pop up now.

RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:55 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:47 am
RachelM wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:51 pm
Hello everyone! Haven't been onto the site in some time as I'm a very busy uni student these days. I'm abroad at Newcastle University in England and watching things carefully. There's been a few cases in the area, and reports of some students in halls self-isolating. There are 3 universities in the area: Newcastle, Northumbria, and Durham, and Northumbria and Durham announced they're closing classrooms and moving to distance/online. Newcastle has yet to officially do this, but the rumor going around is that there will be an announcement very soon about the same.
I'm of course a bit concerned as the majority of my prepping things are back in Canada. Went out today to stock up on some canned and dry goods as panic buying as already been reported locally (mostly of TP, hand sanitizer, and pasta because that's what keeps uni students alive). Being on a verrrry slim uni budget I haven't been able to keep much of a pantry but needs must. I will likely try and go out again to grab some other odds and ends again too. Although I do right now have quality tap water atm, I did bring along a lifestraw as I had hoped to do some travelling this spring break (Not anymore!). The lifestraw filters down to 0.2 microns, and COVID-19 is 0.5-0.2 microns, but if there is a major disturbance in local water it will still be useful.
Given the US travel ban I'm currently on alert as to if there will be a Canadian one. The UK is not currently banned from either but that also might change as there has been community transmission here. I'm in a massive bind as my passport was lost on my most recent flight here and I'm in the process of replacement, so the only way I could feasibly get home is if the Canadian government evacuated citizens.
I cant think of anything worse than loosing a passport abroad, good luck with that.
Its a pain in the ass to get a replacement. I had to do all the usual new photos and fill out forms, but since no one here has known me more than 2 years I had to fill out the forms and mail them to my family back in Canada (because guarantors aren't supposed to fill out forms until the applicant has, which is sensible). My family back home got all the signatures needed and it all just arrived back in the mail Friday. However I managed to miss the fact that to apply by mail I have to have photocopies of 2 pieces of ID signed and dated by my guarantor as well :shock: I think I originally wanted to just go in person but the only consulates around me are in Edinburgh and London, now both hotspots of the virus at the moment so I'm now much less interested in travelling. But at least I don't have to mail them, as I can just scan and email for my family to print off and have the guarantor sign.
Oh and its gonna be $260-ish bucks to get the new one too. Safe to say I'm never getting off a plane again without passport firmly in my hand :oops:

Peaks
Canada

Post by Peaks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4854503

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada will be shutting the border to non-Canadian citizens, with the exception of their immediate families, permanent residents, diplomats, air crews, and U.S. citizens at this time.

Anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 will not be able to enter Canada.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... -confirmed

Interesting times. Stay healthy everyone.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Peaks wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4854503

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada will be shutting the border to non-Canadian citizens, with the exception of their immediate families, permanent residents, diplomats, air crews, and U.S. citizens at this time.

Anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 will not be able to enter Canada
What a absolute imbecile, letting Americans in, why don't we all just put a gun to our heads...The one action that needed to be done, if we stood any chance, wasn't done....
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Peppercorn.. I honestly believe its just a matter of time.. this is the last big call home for the half million snowbirds.. get your rear's in gear and get back to Canada..

The second part of course is the trucking issue.. but that can be worked around.. they can get passes and so forth.. its coming.. its coming.. but its a start!
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Disaster Alert”