Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
Clarence
Canada

Re: Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post by Clarence » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Anyone have experience with winter boxes in eastern Ontario or western Quebec climes?
Like to know when to plant lettuce, spinach, kale, Swiss chard or ant other vegetable that can withstand -40 in unseated environment ? I have hay that I plan on putting in the base of the box as well as around the exterior.
With the hay on outside, do I still need styrofoam on inside? Prefer not to have to spend the money on it.
Grazie

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi please get this book. it will answer all your questions!

She is canadian and from the east coast.. you must get certain types of veggies only some will do certain things and all of them must be started in the fall so you are on a limited timing to build, plant and get it ready if you want late fall and then early winter harvests and be aware that with our sun angles there is a time frame where everything WILL go dormant.. but its a quite short window all things considered..

Have fun!
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 am

farmgal wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:53 pm
Hi please get this book. it will answer all your questions!

She is canadian and from the east coast.. you must get certain types of veggies only some will do certain things and all of them must be started in the fall so you are on a limited timing to build, plant and get it ready if you want late fall and then early winter harvests and be aware that with our sun angles there is a time frame where everything WILL go dormant.. but its a quite short window all things considered..

Have fun!
Thanks, ordered it in👍🏻

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

I think it was Heli who once mentioned people not understanding how much work or trial and effort is involved in gardening... ( paraphrasing) but they were certainly bang on!
First real attempt at gardening this year and I find myself in the blasted garden almost daily. Getting the soil worked, stakes, planting, WEEDING!, weeding and more weeding, harvesting, canning..... had and having a very good crop but so far pole beans are growing but no beans yet?, Will want to plant more pole peas next year, only half my rutabaga took, cucumbers didn’t grab, peppers are growing but no fruit yet.

So wise words were expressed here by Heli or someone. It is a great amount of work and if there is no hail, water shortage like FG is experiencing.... then you are good, but buying one package of seeds for each plant will not get you through a year. So for those who planted a small 20/20 fun garden and did well or maybe only a few pre started plants and think they will be fine next year, I highly recommend they get their earth in now, work it, get any fencing, poles, hay..... in and ready this fall.

Then there is the issue of canning or combo of freezing of harvests! As noted under “shortages” freezers, canners... are in very short supply so while one may not Have anything to put in them this year, place your orders today! Same for seeds, wood for boxes, plastic for any coverings, any hay, fertilizers, hose’s, ( regular and drip types), sprinklers, garden tools... buy used if need be but get them in now because if we are hit bad this fall, winter and spring, I can’t see much of anything being available come spring!

I learnt a great deal this summer and know that I need to learn a lot more and have more then what I planted to keep me and my wife going with vegetables.

Another thing I learnt was the amount of sun needed. I have a pasture but wanted the garden closer to the house and had to cut down a good twenty big maples to get sun on my garden. So if that’s an issue, you will want to work that into your plans for next spring as well. I wanted the garden close to the house for critter control and for watering, something I needed to do a lot of this hot and dry June and July. I think we now have four hundred feet plus of soaker hoses along with three hundred feet of regular garden hose, some sprinklers as well. So think long and hard on watering :shock:

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 am

I don’t think I can take credit for anything... but yes, I’ve certainly read of preppers and their “seed vaults” Ready to take on gardening at the first sign of TEOTWAWKI. Their in for a surprise. I’m 5 years into serious gardening and it’s truly humbling. This year I don’t have fancy stuff. It’s lettuce, carrots, beets, beans, peas, onions, potatoes and squashes. In the greenhouse are tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It’s all about having stuff to store this year. Even my normal flower planters have corn, beans and squashes planted in them.

Some crops are doing good, some were too wet and now all are too hot. No “goldilocks” weather this year.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Luckily... we have a well with good water level and quality. Also, surrounded by wood. so don't have that to deal with.
Yes, I too had too much water and just catching up with sun and heat. Nothing fancy neither...well melons, and all the regulars-but thats it.
I finally planted a nice bee and medicinal plant tire garden this year. Got artistic and positioned tires in a spiral design.
Had a hive die off this spring so replaced that with a new hive. Honey is marvelously tasting.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”