Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post by farmgal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Well, its sept 14th and they are telling me to expect 1.. that means that frost is very highly likely.. that is really early, we are not to get our frost date till mid oct.. .. very very short grow season this year.. I can not speak highly enough on early starting, and using very short season seeds.. or planting heavily on crops for the fall that can take frosts

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 am

Frost is here in eastern Ontario, so covered tomatoes this afternoon and will be harvesting all the carrots over the next couple of days. Have over three hundred feet to pull up. Green peppers came in today and are a beautiful rich green and the nicest I have ever seen for color. Very happy with my first real effort and believe besides the effort, I was plain lucky.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm

And We have HARD frost this morning.. and the heat loving tenders are done! but the frost will sweeten the carrots, the parsnips, the beets will keep on trucking, the high bush cranberries need a few more freeze's yet and of the brussel sprouts will just get better and better as they keep on truckin..

Got to love the fall veggies that get better with a frost.. and WHOOOTTTTT the heat loving part of the garden is DONE.. it is what it is.. and now I can focus on other things..

When you have a small garden, its like Noooo, when you have a BIG garden, its like.. o thank heavens.. that is done.. done for the year.. NEXT.. lol
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Planted winter rye cover crop in the gardens.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”