Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

Re: Garden like it counts (cuz it might) 2020

Post by peppercorn »

farmgal wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 pm So we are looking at adding in a 26 foot geodome to the farm ideally in 2021.. Its a local ontario, canadian company and its spendy and then some but it will give me

Year round growing
1100 water storage
Reduced heating, cooling and lighting costs
Increased structural strength Which is a big issue with standard greenhouses
Limited but important control over growing impute in regards to climate change.

Hubby now has type 2 diabetics and the need for producing more fresh year round without needing to count on the trucks just took on a new push for us.. plus we are also going to have a small table/bench area built into it so that we can use it as part (very small part living space)

It will not change needing to use the regular garden season for large scale production.. but I hope we will prove to use it effective and it will be worth the investment.
The Geodomes were big in the late 60-early 70s if I remember right, for alternative living structures. Theory was good, practice was not at the time. Seams everywhere, everywhere where the triangle panels met was a seam, and everywhere a seam, a potential for water leaks. I dont think such structures would be a problem now days, with all the better sealing materials we have.
Pictures are most definitely required once you get it set up and growing!

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

If any one here follows Lloyd Kahn and if you don't, google him. Lloyd was a huge booster for the geodesic homes early on. Later after working with them for a number of years, he backtracked on them. I don't know if the negatives he speaks of would apply to the green house version. Either way can't wait to see the pics!

https://www.shelterpub.com/domes

Also check out his Half acre Homestead. I realize people differ on what constitutes true homesteading. But I think this is one urban set up that qualifies.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

I am going with this company..

https://arcticacres.ca/domes

Getting a full kit with some upgrades and professionally installed.. I am on the group and there are alot of folks in ontario/quebec in my zone or harder that have had them, I have tracked down some that are 10 to 15 year on theirs and they are pretty open about the good, and the this can be a issue.. like it quickly became clear that while it can do year round growing it is not giving you tomato's in jan without extra heat and light.. and that for non-heated winter growing, you should make the middle lower by about 6 inches to increase the sun movement and so on.. I will certainly take photos and post updates.. I am expecting a learning curve.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

We had domes up in Iqaluit.. they can really handle the winds, snow loads (they just blow off) and it was coming on 40 years old.. I will look into the link.. given what the sea high winds, the cold and the snow drifts/loads and how well it does.. I have hopes? that it will hold up to climate change weather far better then typical greenhoues locally, so many of them are getting so much damage over the past 5 years..

Time will tell me if I (we) are making a mistake..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”